Vote of the Two Bobs :)
Aug 1, 2008 at 2:05 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 32

DavidMahler

Headphoneus Supremus
In one corner we have Bob Dylan (real name: Robert Zimmerman)
Credentials: Innovator of folk rock, and lyrical genius

In the other corner we have Bob Marley (real name: Robert Nesta Marley)
Credentials: Innovator of Reggae, and another lyrical genius

Who is your preference......

Dylan or Marley?
smily_headphones1.gif
smily_headphones1.gif
smily_headphones1.gif
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 1, 2008 at 5:14 AM Post #5 of 32
OK, this is the first of these Betty or Wilma polls that I refuse to vote on. The one I voted on earlier today (Neil Young vs. Dylan) was a clear choice; as much as I am a lifelong NY fan, Dylan is to me the more important artist.

Can't pick either in this case. Dylan and Marley are/were both among the very finest songwriters. Both of them blazed vast new territory, and both of them have made albums that rank among the very best of all time. Both have led legendary bands that left audiences gasping for breath. Both have had their songs covered ad infinitum by artists you'd expect, and artists you would never expect. Both of them made potent political statements in their music, and also wrote stunningly beautiful love songs. Hell, both of them even brought deep religious belief to their music at times.

Marley was obviously the better singer, in a conventional sense, but I'd go so far as to say that Dylan, for better or worse, is one of the most widely immitated/parodied vocalists in the history of music.

So, in other words, both of these guys were voted into my personal hall of fame (not that sham in Cleveland) on their first day of eligibility.

Dylan or Marley? Yes.

Aug 1, 2008 at 11:33 AM Post #6 of 32
I don't see how this is even a comparison. Dylan's stuff is nice at times but Marley is clearly at a higher level. It's hard to find people who don't like Bob Marley's music. While it's fairly easy to find people who find Bob Dylan extremely annoying. So for me, Bob Marley is the clear winner.

Aug 1, 2008 at 12:15 PM Post #7 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by golgi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't see how this is even a comparison.

x2... but in reverse.

I wouldn't quite phrase either of the artists accomplishments as the OP does (were either actually the inventor???), but I don't see an equivalent on Marleys side to the impact of lyrical accomplishment Dylan brought to popular songwriting.

Plus as incredibly irritating on Dylan fans can be, Marleys may be even more so.

My recent questions have been, ignoring influence for a moment, who is smarter, who the greater lyricist, who the greater composer, and who the greater artist between Bob Dylan and Randy Newman? I don't believe those are as easy as they first seem.

Aug 1, 2008 at 12:32 PM Post #8 of 32
Imagine Newman and Dylan performed a vocal-heavy duet? Yipes.

Back to the vote, I'm going to have to pull a no-voter on this one. I hesitated over both for a few minutes, but after reading DrBenway's post, I've decided he made the one correct choice: Both!

Incidentally, golgi, is popularity among more people really a consideration? Not to insinuate that your choice is wrong, not in the least, I just find it odd that the general public's reaction to an artist would come in to play.

Aug 1, 2008 at 1:31 PM Post #9 of 32
As I said while abstaining from the Dylan/Neil Young thread, I'd been listening to both quite a bit recently (just saw the movie I'm Not There). Consequently, I thought this poll would be easy (Dylan all the way), but then I put on Burnin', Natty Dread and Exodus. I think poetic scope belongs to Dylan, but Marley's writing is so engagingly streamlined; it's like he could write the simple phrase that conveys the big idea. Both presided over bands for the ages. I think Marley could end up getting the nod just because I love the way he puts a song across, but no vote here…yet

Aug 1, 2008 at 2:24 PM Post #11 of 32
Hehehehe, I misread the title and understood "poll of the two boobs". This is going to be a funny one, I thought for myself.
Still, not being boobs but Bobs, is a funny poll, but I'm afraid I can't make a choice. The same would be if my wife made me to choose just one of hers.

Both Bobs have their merits and both have given me very good moments, both are talented, and while one may sing better and to make "happier" music than the other, Dylan still has that emotion sometimes... Definitely I can't choose.

Rgrds

Aug 1, 2008 at 2:51 PM Post #12 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cool_Torpedo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
…and while one may sing better and to make "happier" music than the other, Dylan still has that emotion sometimes...

Glad you put quotes around "happier." I think some folks hear reggae and think "happy" and "sunny" or something, but that perception has very little to do with the lyrics. Much of Marley's work is protest or—to quote the name of a song—"rebel" music, just like Dylan's.

Aug 1, 2008 at 3:54 PM Post #13 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by blessingx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
x2... but in reverse.

I wouldn't quite phrase either of the artists accomplishments as the OP does (were either actually the inventor???), but I don't see an equivalent on Marleys side to the impact of lyrical accomplishment Dylan brought to popular songwriting.

Plus as incredibly irritating on Dylan fans can be, Marleys may be even more so.

My recent questions have been, ignoring influence for a moment, who is smarter, who the greater lyricist, who the greater composer, and who the greater artist between Bob Dylan and Randy Newman? I don't believe those are as easy as they first seem.

Just to clarify......i never called either an inventor, i called them an innovator

Aug 1, 2008 at 4:19 PM Post #14 of 32
The nice thing about Bob is that it's spelled the same forwards and backwards. Best name you could ever hope to give a dyslexic :)

+1 for the Reggae king.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back