Jul 2, 2008 at 4:51 PM Post #31 of 48
Jul 3, 2008 at 10:15 AM Post #32 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by bigshot /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Leadbelly is the absolute king.

http://www.animationarchive.org/pics/leadbelly.mov

See ya
Steve

Leadbelly was a great talent and I have quite a few of his recordings in my collection.He did do some blues but he is really more of a folk artist than a blues artist.They do seem to stick him in the blues section of most stores though.

Jul 3, 2008 at 2:13 PM Post #33 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by ssportclay /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am going to throw in Big Mama Thornton. She was the first to ever record Hound Dog and she did it way way better than the crappy version Elvis did later. She also wrote and recorded Ball 'N' Chain which was later covered by Janis Joplin.

Well, I'm just happy to see someone namechecking a blueswoman. Too often, they get overlooked. I noticed that someone mentioned Billie Holiday (excellent!), so I'll throw in Dinah Washington. Folks tend to think of her as a jazz singer, but man, could she sing the blues.

Jul 11, 2008 at 1:41 PM Post #34 of 48
One more vote for Albert King.

Those smooth flying V tones blow me away. The already mentioned “In Session..” with Stevie Ray Vaughan CD is one of my all time favourites.

This was a recording of a TV show they did together and not long ago I obtained a DVD (from a video) of the performance. Some different tracks to the CD, the sound and picture quality are not brilliant, but wow, what a fantastic record of the two guitar masters.

My favourite bit is during a Stevie Ray solo, Albert wanders over to his guitar case, pulls out a pipe and lights it up before joining in with his own solo. Magic!

Sep 21, 2008 at 7:43 PM Post #36 of 48
Everyone mentioned in this thread is a guitarist.
wink.gif

Any legendary non-guitarists y'all can recommend?

Sep 21, 2008 at 8:52 PM Post #39 of 48
Sep 22, 2008 at 12:20 AM Post #41 of 48
More than one...

Robert Johnson
Eddie House
Willie Dixon
Muddy Waters

and many too numerous to mention

Users who are viewing this thread

Back