Von VR-1 vs Pardigm S2 vs ??
Dec 8, 2006 at 2:53 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 186

chesebert

18 Years An Extra-Hardcore Head-Fi'er
Got the itch again!!! upgratitus !!

how much better is Paradigm S2 from VR-1 and what other can you recommended around $2k new/used (no floor standing or electro)

Music preference: ALL less the very hard rock and rap

Room size: 400 SQFT, although I sit in the middle to prevent reflection from the back wall

I prefer nice, warm, yet detailed sound with HUGE soundstage and can imaging like crazy
biggrin.gif

I am driving it with Ayre ax-7e (fairly warm amp)

k1000smile.gif
k1000smile.gif

Dec 8, 2006 at 4:24 PM Post #2 of 186
Quote:

Originally Posted by chesebert /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Got the itch again!!! upgratitus !!

how much better is Paradigm S2 from VR-1 and what other can you recommended around $2k new/used (no floor standing or electro)

Music preference: ALL less the very hard rock and rap

Room size: 400 SQFT, although I sit in the middle to prevent reflection from the back wall

I prefer nice, warm, yet detailed sound with HUGE soundstage and can imaging like crazy
biggrin.gif

I am driving it with Ayre ax-7e (fairly warm amp)

k1000smile.gif
k1000smile.gif

Have never heard Paradigm S2 but as you know the VR1 is very detailed speaker with vivid treble response and large soundstage, but they are not warm sounding. I don't find them to be very forgiving speakers so bad recordings will sound bad etc. but high quality recordings will sound very detailed.

I really like the Green Mountain Audio monitors:
-Europa
-Callisto
These are time aligned drivers designs with very simple high quality first order crossovers that sound very natural, cabinets are inert heavy thick cast resin designs. The Europas can occasionally be found used at Audiogon for $600 but the upscale Callistos are almost never seen used. The used Europas are usually from people who have upgraded to Callistos. GMA designs are smooth and natural sounding and surprisingly forgiving of bad recordings so rock sounds great, and soundstage and detail are excellent.

GMA

Current speaker collection used with subwoofer:
Tyler Taylo Reference
GMA Europa
GMA Callisto
Von Schweikert Audio VR1

Dec 8, 2006 at 4:39 PM Post #3 of 186
Quote:

Originally Posted by DarkAngel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Have never heard Paradigm S2 but as you know the VR1 is very detailed speaker with vivid treble response and large soundstage, but they are not warm sounding. I don't find them to be very forgiving speakers so bad recordings will sound bad etc. but high quality recordings will sound very detailed.

I really like the Green Mountain Audio monitors:
-Europa
-Callisto
These are time aligned drivers designs with very simple high quality first order crossovers that sound very natural, cabinets are inert heavy thick cast resin designs. The Europas can occasionally be found used at Audiogon for $600 but the upscale Callistos are almost never seen used. The used Europas are usually from people who have upgraded to Callistos. GMA designs are smooth and natural sounding and surprisingly forgiving of bad recordings so rock sounds great, and soundstage and detail are excellent.

GMA

Current speaker collection used with subwoofer:
Tyler Taylo Reference
GMA Europa
GMA Callisto
Von Schweikert Audio VR1

actually Ayre amp really tamed the high and instead of sharp I have extended. But I am having some problem with certain piano notes. As a piano player I am very picky about how piano sounds, and I think I am missing stuff (besides the low end), as in certain notes don't sound right (partly recording dependent)

I really don't have any quibble about VR1 except I want to know if I can do better on monitors, since I do site pretty close, about 9ft from each speaker, which are 9ft apart.

what am I missing? (not mid range, cuz it bested HD650 already, not bass, cuz the size dictates that and 40hz ain't all bad, Must be the top end!!, I want the exact same speaker with smoother top end!)

Dec 8, 2006 at 6:21 PM Post #4 of 186
Cheese,

With regards to your question, I think that the Sig2 v2 should be an improvement over the VR1. I heard the VR1 and I wasnt too impressed. However, the Sig2 v2 with it's newly crafted Beryllium tweeter and improved driver composition should be enough to warrant an upgrade from the VR1. I say, if you're going to move up, move up to the S2 v2, not the original S2.

Joey

Dec 8, 2006 at 7:41 PM Post #5 of 186
i STRONGLY recommend you try to find a pair of DeVore Fidelity Gibbon 3 to audition.

Dec 8, 2006 at 7:56 PM Post #6 of 186
Quote:

Originally Posted by Joey_V /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Cheese,

With regards to your question, I think that the Sig2 v2 should be an improvement over the VR1. I heard the VR1 and I wasnt too impressed. However, the Sig2 v2 with it's newly crafted Beryllium tweeter and improved driver composition should be enough to warrant an upgrade from the VR1. I say, if you're going to move up, move up to the S2 v2, not the original S2.

Joey

I will try that. I am at one of those point I upgrade or not
biggrin.gif
but the newS2 is certainly interesting.

Dec 8, 2006 at 9:30 PM Post #7 of 186
My dealer is getting the new Sig!!! I am gonna go demo soon..woohoo..

Dec 9, 2006 at 7:56 PM Post #9 of 186
About VSA VR1........

These are rear ported (small ambiance port) and need several feet clearance out from speaker wall to sound best, otherwise you will get reduced soundstage and reduced detail. They will sound very good when set up properly and with sympathetic gear (warm side of nuetral)

You won't believe how much better they sound supported by quality subwoofer. Sound is richer, lower mids fill out, sound stage expands, and of course dynamic range dramatically increases. Same comments apply to any 2 way monitor but especially true for VR1 which I find a bit lean/forward sounding by itself. Also notice that VSA sells a qulaity sub to be used with VR1..........

VR1 is almost only speaker I have found that actually sounds better with grills on, notice the foam collar around tweeter.......it is there for a reason.

The whole subject of speaker placement in room is extremely important and will make more difference than almost any equipment upgrade, so do your homework in this area.

Dec 9, 2006 at 9:00 PM Post #10 of 186
Quote:

About VSA VR1........

These are rear ported (small ambiance port) and need several feet clearance out from speaker wall to sound best, otherwise you will get reduced soundstage and reduced detail. They will sound very good when set up properly and with sympathetic gear (warm side of nuetral)

You won't believe how much better they sound supported by quality subwoofer. Sound is richer, lower mids fill out, sound stage expands, and of course dynamic range dramatically increases. Same comments apply to any 2 way monitor but especially true for VR1 which I find a bit lean/forward sounding by itself. Also notice that VSA sells a qulaity sub to be used with VR1..........

VR1 is almost only speaker I have found that actually sounds better with grills on, notice the foam collar around tweeter.......it is there for a reason.

The whole subject of speaker placement in room is extremely important and will make more difference than almost any equipment upgrade, so do your homework in this area.

grill on? I find the sound is congested with grill on and I think Von recommend grill off.
rolleyes.gif

Dec 9, 2006 at 10:27 PM Post #11 of 186
Sonus Faber Concertino Domus? It'll be less than 2k with stands. Never listened to them before, but seeing that you like the SF sound, the Concertino Domus might appeal to you. I was going to say the Sonus Faber Cremona Auditors, which I did audition for a short time (15 minutes). They're very good, but pretty pricey (about 4.5k with stands). However, I don't know how much better they are compared to the VR1s.

I've also listened to the B&W 805S (2.5k retail, they actual sale price will be cheaper) and those were pretty darn good as well. I can't remember how the Cremona Auditors compared to the 805S, but they both gave me a very enjoyable listen.

Dec 9, 2006 at 10:45 PM Post #12 of 186
Quote:

Originally Posted by chesebert /img/forum/go_quote.gif
grill on? I find the sound is congested with grill on and I think Von recommend grill off.
rolleyes.gif

At first I took them off also but now I find it makes treble response smoother less glare, foam collar is similar to "felting" around tweeter some speakers use, designer specifically placed it there for a reason.

Where did you see VSA recommend removing grill for VR1?
It seems odd they would design a special foam collar into grill cloth and then recommend not using it.

Also......
Another factor besides room placement is type of speaker stand and how you mount VR1s (or any 2 way speaker) to stand....all these things effect the sound of VR1 and may change your mind about them.

Dec 9, 2006 at 11:05 PM Post #13 of 186
I love the sound of my S2's (not new version obviously). I like them with the grilles off (even though they were apparently designed with them on). I recently just put a pair of MBL monoblocks (8011A's) on them and they SING!

Neil

Dec 10, 2006 at 12:11 AM Post #14 of 186
Quote:

Originally Posted by milkpowder /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sonus Faber Concertino Domus? It'll be less than 2k with stands. Never listened to them before, but seeing that you like the SF sound, the Concertino Domus might appeal to you. I was going to say the Sonus Faber Cremona Auditors, which I did audition for a short time (15 minutes). They're very good, but pretty pricey (about 4.5k with stands). However, I don't know how much better they are compared to the VR1s.

I've also listened to the B&W 805S (2.5k retail, they actual sale price will be cheaper) and those were pretty darn good as well. I can't remember how the Cremona Auditors compared to the 805S, but they both gave me a very enjoyable listen.

yes I do like SF sound, but only from Cremona and up, and even than Cremona isn't near the quality of amati. I just need something to sound great for the next few years until i can get amati, and then its done for the next 20yrs
k1000smile.gif

Dec 10, 2006 at 12:13 AM Post #15 of 186
Quote:

At first I took them off also but now I find it makes treble response smoother less glare, foam collar is similar to "felting" around tweeter some speakers use, designer specifically placed it there for a reason.

Where did you see VSA recommend removing grill for VR1?
It seems odd they would design a special foam collar into grill cloth and then recommend not using it.

Also......
Another factor besides room placement is type of speaker stand and how you mount VR1s (or any 2 way speaker) to stand....all these things effect the sound of VR1 and may change your mind about them.

soundstage said von recommend use with grill off, which I have seen in other reviews. I already got the matching stand, which is pretty good. I am not saying VR1 is bad, I just want better
k1000smile.gif
is that soo much to ask?
580smile.gif

I will look into a sub, seeing how that can relieve some of the stress on the midrange.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back