Von Schweikert VR-1 Reference Monitor-Impressions
Jul 17, 2003 at 9:36 PM Post #16 of 31
Tuberoller, the larger model of Green Mountain that you heard was the C-2. That speaker is 1997 technology. They have a new one coming out in two weeks called the C-3 that is supposed to be a great speaker at its price point. I actually talked to Roy Johnson from Green Mountain Audio today because I purchased some Europas from him direct that should arrive today. I told him I was looking at some Dynaudio Contour 3.4s and Von Schweikert VR-4 Gen II SE's for my main system. He told me the Europas will blow away those speakers as well as his older C-2. I find it hard to believe, but if you check around the net or do a search on the boards, Europas owners vouch for how good they are. I 'll let you guys know what I think of mine in a few days. Hope they are not too ugly.

Jul 18, 2003 at 2:17 AM Post #17 of 31
Thanks for your reply, tuberoller. I'll definitely put the VR-1 on my audition list.

Kieran, looking forward to your review of the Europa. I am quite curious about this speakers myself. They do look bulkier and uglier than the VR-1, IMO
600smile.gif

Europa20pair20smal.jpg

Jul 19, 2003 at 3:31 AM Post #18 of 31
Well, I just pulled the trigger on some VR-1s. I wanted them in black so they had to be ordered directly from Von Schweikert. Should be here at the end of the week.

Still looking for a quality integrated...preferable with A/B speaker terminals though.

Life is good.
biggrin.gif

Jul 19, 2003 at 5:05 AM Post #19 of 31
Quote:

Originally posted by JMT
Still looking for a quality integrated...preferable with A/B speaker terminals though.

Check out the Creek 5350SE - great as integrateds go. Good reviews all around, nice looking, compact, jacks and terminals-a-plenty. This integrated also features a DC servo-controlled output stage that eliminates capacitors from the signal path (same type topology used in the expensive zap filter, used in sacdmods 555es output stage replacement).

http://www.creekaudio.com/products/5350.asp#

Check it out here, AudioAsylum and AudioReview (sometimes useful).

-dd3mon

Jul 31, 2003 at 4:55 AM Post #20 of 31
I just spent most of the evening listening to my new VR-1s driven by drewski's N.E.W. a-20.1 amp and P-3 preamp. In a word: Holy Crap (ok, two words)!!! The imaging and soundstage of these little speakers is unreal.

Jul 31, 2003 at 5:20 AM Post #21 of 31
Jon,

It will take about 100 hours of break-in for the bass to settle in.I would'nt worry too much about placement tweaks until then.You can build a killer sytem around these speakers and not worry about them being the weakest link.You'll soon find yourself rolling amps,sources and cables threough you system just to hear how great these speakers sound,I promise.

Aug 1, 2003 at 5:38 AM Post #23 of 31
I have been recently using the Consonace Opera M99plus which is a 25 watt tube integrated using 6L6 tubes.It sounds really sweet and has great bass and dynamics.It is a stellar match with the VR1s and my wife loves this system.

Aug 2, 2003 at 3:06 AM Post #24 of 31
Hey Tube,

Somehow I managed to missed your review on these. I've been spending alot of time mulling over the VR-1 but haven't been sure about there sensitivity. I'd like to elicit your opinion on how they would perform with an 8 wpc 300B amp.

|Thanks

Aug 2, 2003 at 6:24 AM Post #25 of 31
I don't have a 300B amp handy but the VR1 sound amazing with the 2A3 ASL tulip at only 3.5 watts.I don't think you can gop wrong with the VR1.They sound great and lack only really deep bass,which will likely never be in a monitor speaker.The only fault I find with these speakers are the lack of bi-wire binding posts which was enough to prevent me from giving these "Awesome Budget Component Alert" status.I know that sounds a bit harsh but I find this omission almost inexcusable on a $1,000 speaker.

I actually talked with Albert Von Scweikert a few days ago after Adam at Decibel told me he is a pretty fun guy to converse with.He is very passionate about his speakers and his expertise is often called on by many other speaker makers.His input and design consulation can be found in Eggelston,Thiel and a few other bigger names he asked that I not mention.He accepted my criticism of the lack of bi-wire posts and said he would likely offer them in a later version.

Aug 10, 2003 at 11:28 AM Post #26 of 31
Quote:

Originally posted by JMT
Well, I just pulled the trigger on some VR-1s. I wanted them in black so they had to be ordered directly from Von Schweikert. Should be here at the end of the week.

JMT,

You should definitely check out the Unison Research UNICO. It has two sets of binding posts and it seems like it might be a good match for the VR-1s. I have been very happy with mine.

In fact, I am leaning heavily toward getting some VR-1s myself. I was at my local dealer's yesterday to borrow a demo pair for the weekend, but the shielding magnet had apparently come unglued in one of them (we could hear it knocking around inside). Not hard to fix, but I'm going to be out of town for the next week, so my audition will have to wait until the following weekend.

Aug 12, 2003 at 5:57 PM Post #27 of 31
Thanks for the recommendation. I found a deal on a Musical Fidelity A3 (compromised the A/B speaker issue) and am expecting it today. All the research I did said that the A3 is great integrated, so I have high hopes......

Aug 31, 2003 at 5:46 PM Post #28 of 31
Sorry to bring this thread back from the dead, but what speaker stands are you guys using for bookshelf speakers that are 11 inches deep? Any trouble finding one with a big enough top plate?

Aug 31, 2003 at 8:06 PM Post #29 of 31
i'm pretty sure Von Schweikert has stands. I think I remember talking to the Von Sweikert dealer in Kansas City, Primus Audio Pleasure, and he mentioned the VR-1s have thier own stands. I plan on giving the VR-1s and the VR-4s a listen in the next couple of weeks. I can't wait!

Nov 2, 2004 at 3:42 PM Post #30 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by dawkimi
Hey Tube,

Have you had a chance to hear Von Schweikert's new baby sub (I believe it is called the VRS/1)? It looks like it would be a perfect match for the bookshelves if someone wanted more bass. As always, your opinion and feedback are greatly appreciated. Take care.

Mike

I can tell you the VRS/1 together w/ the VR1s is a great combo. As there is no dealer in my area, Adam at Decibel got the ok to sell to me and have the sub drop shipped to me from VS.
Really incredible addition to these already great speakers. Did nothing to hurt the awesome soundstage.
These speakers really do image well. Now that I've added the Stealth as my pre, I really notice alot of front/back separation of instruments. Almost like my headphones but w/ the big L/R soundstage as well.
Couldn't be happier w/ this combo. Now I need a new pwr amp. Then I'll be done. Really. No REALLY!
CPW

Users who are viewing this thread

Back