Volumio: the free hi-fi linux distribution
Jan 9, 2014 at 8:41 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

turo91

100+ Head-Fier
Maybe the claim could not be the most self-explanatory for most of you all. So let's start from the beginning.

What is Volumio?

Volumio is the evolution of RaspyFi, a linux based distribution specifically designed to be used as a stand-alone hi-fi 

music player. This is meant to be used on sigle-board computers with an external USB DAC. Thanks to Volumio you'll be able 

to read your whole Music Library, both on USB Hard Drive or via a Network Attached Storage (NAS), while comfortably sitting 

on your sofa and controlling the playback with your smartphone, tablet or pc, thanks to its native WebUI (without needing 

to install anything) or with the sound@home android app, built specifically for Volumio. This is meant to be an headless 

player, so you don't need a monitor attached to your favourite single-board computer. 
Furthermore Volumio could be seen as an italian proud work, since is completely developed by an italian guy.

Android's app control interface

Still not clear? 

A Linux Distribution (Aka GNU/Linux Distribution, or distro) is a particular software environment which basically is a 

complete Operating System based on a Linux Kernel (Thanks Wikipedia!), while a single board computer is a whole computer 

fitted into a tiny electronic board.

Which are Volumio's advantages?

The first point of vantage is surely the fact that this is an extremely optimized system, specifically tailored for bit-

perfect audio playback and without useless background processes. Then we have more: it can be controlled remotely with the 

device you prefer, it has low power requirements and it's extremely quiet since these computers doesn't have any type of 

fans. Another big advantage is that the whole system is extremely inexpensive shile compared to classic media servers, 

since the supported boards (which we'll see later on) are generally cheaper than normal PCs and Volumio is completely free.

Which are Volumio supported boards?

Raspberry Pi model B

Pros

-The less expensive board, costs less than 40 euros

-There are some i2s DACS, which work out of the box and are to be connected directly to the board

Cons

-Limited raw computing power

-Problems with Hi-Res files with USB DACS

Cubox Solidrun

Pros

-Already comes boxed in a nice and tiny case

-Powerful and well engineered 

-Optical S/PDIF out

Cons

-Doesn't feature analog out, so an external DAC is absolutely needed

Udoo

Pros

-The most powerful board

-Features lots of outputs like Analog, USB, I2S and  Coaxial S/PDIF

-The two higher specced models have integrated Wi-Fi

-Cons

-Is the most expensive board

-At the moment, there are no available cases 

Beaglebone Black

Pros

-Economic

Contro

-Features only one USB port, so a powered USB HUb is needed

-Doesn't feature an analog out, so an external DAC is needed

How does it install?

The whole install procedure is really simple and an handy guide is to be found at http://volumio.org/get-started/

I will however add a guide whenever I'll receive an Udoo Board for a test drive.

Mar 4, 2014 at 1:12 AM Post #4 of 8
Using the raspberry pi, over clocked to 900Mhz and getting good results with 192Mhz sample rates. Exfat 500GB USB drive. I added Fuse ExFat driver. This is a really cool headphone setup that lets me listen to music, and control it all via my iPad.  More interestingly I operate the Raspberrypi and my CM6631A via a battery. This reduces noise.

Mar 4, 2014 at 2:27 AM Post #5 of 8
Nice Project!

I have a BeagleBone lying around unused, I'll try and get it running with this.

Apr 29, 2014 at 6:44 PM Post #6 of 8
I just received my CuBOX-i4pro. Volumio install had some issue, the wifi card didn't have a driver. I found an image with the driver. My USB CM6631A card didn't work, until I fixed the ALSA conf.
Works great and sound wonderful. Music libraries are accessed via a samba share. Only two connection, USB and power. It is much better then the RaspberryPi, no pops and clicks, ever.    

Dec 26, 2014 at 7:10 AM Post #7 of 8

HummingBoard i2ex

http://www.solid-run.com/products/hummingboard/linux-sbc-specifications
http://volumio.org/get-started

I guess the official Volumio support for HummingBoard (from Solid-Run, makers of Cubox) is only a matter of time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back