volume very low after headphone cord repair
Jul 18, 2012 at 7:50 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

bob13bob

New Head-Fier
So, my old jack wore out.  I've looked at youtube and did the below.  It works in both ears now, but the volume is very low.   Have I replaced with the wrong type of cable?

Jul 19, 2012 at 2:31 PM Post #3 of 7
Not unless you used nichrome wire for the repair... 
biggrin.gif

Which headphones are these?

What I have found that if there was no ground you can get low volume.

*This is NOT a Standard, your phones might be different.
The wire that goes to the Tip of the jack needs to be spliced to the wire that goes to your left driver.
The wire that goes to the Ring of the jack needs to be spliced to the wire that goes to your right driver.
And the Sleeve needs to be the ground wire between the two drivers.

You'll have to open up the headphones and check out where the wires go to and measure them with a meter to be sure there are no opens or shorts on the wires drivers or the TRS jack itself.

Jul 19, 2012 at 3:54 PM Post #5 of 7
There would be two wires going to each bud, then they join the grounds up at the Y splitter.
A better thing might be just to lop off the end a little above the break and solder on a new mini jack if you have any soldering equipment, or know someone who can.

Scratch the part above about taking the phones apart... Those buds are solid.
You should cut the cable a little above your splice there, re-strip the wires carefully and test with a meter.
(I still say it's your splice judging by the photo.)

If the wires test good you should head down to the nearest Radio Shack and get a 3.5mm mini stereo jack to solder on.
http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2104061

This is how I would fix them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back