volume setup in general ie. speakers,dac, or pc?
Mar 1, 2011 at 12:45 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

iammbox

New Head-Fier
hello. first time poster long time lurker xD i couldnt find anything on the subject or maybe i wasnt trying hard enough. my question is how should volume control be controlled? i am currently using a Nuforce Icon HD and m audio bx5a deluxe and senn hd555. one recomendation was to set the PC to 100% and dac to 100% and start the speakers at 0 and slowly move the knob to the highest volume i want. is that correct or is there another way? thanks in advance

Mar 1, 2011 at 1:00 AM Post #3 of 6

Quote:
PC Volume shouldn't matter with a DAC; set it to whatever you want.

I'm fairly sure it does matter if you choose it as your primary sound device.

I'm not sure about the rest either. I think you should test both at extremes (without music playing) and see if you get audible noise with one them. Then you use it the other way.

Mar 1, 2011 at 4:57 AM Post #5 of 6
Are you insisting the data is the same no matter what the volume is set at? Or that the sound quality doesn't change no matter what the data is? I would like to know this also as I was wondering how one would remove volume knobs from the signal chain completely as they probably sound the worst of all components. It would seem to make sense that volume in windows would just multiply the height of each sample by the volume level. Does it do this or is it a constant magnitude no matter what the volume slider is at?

Either way, 100% on the computer should be best as it wouldn't change the height of the signal and therefore would have no rounding, and would use all 24 bits. I would then think that about 2/3 would be best for a DAC however this would depend on the specific chip. The design of the DAC should make the output max within the space the DAC chip is rated for without straining and outputting noisier stuff. I find it strange a DAC has a volume. If it is not a digital volume (but a smooth turning knob), perhaps keep it at 66% to avoid any possible issues. After that, set amp to listening volume.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back