Volume settings
Jan 28, 2009 at 3:08 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 25

oldmantone

New Head-Fier
What's the best way to use an amp using headphone output? I have an iPod connected to the nuforce Icon mobile using head 1/8" connector. Intuitively, I think I should turn the iPod volume to max and use the volume control on the Icon. But does that drain my battery quicker? What are the best practices?

Jan 28, 2009 at 3:09 PM Post #2 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by oldmantone /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What's the best way to use an amp using headphone output? I have an iPod connected to the nuforce Icon mobile using head 1/8" connector. Intuitively, I think I should turn the iPod volume to max and use the volume control on the Icon. But does that drain my battery quicker? What are the best practices?

iPod @ 60%

Jan 28, 2009 at 5:33 PM Post #5 of 25
Yeah, 60-70% seems about right.
Not pushing the built in amplifier too much, and hence no clipping.

Jan 28, 2009 at 9:03 PM Post #8 of 25
60-70% seems like it would drain quite a bit of the source's battery :-/

What I do is turn my amp and source on without music playing first, then listen for hiss. I turn the amp up to a level where there is as little tolerable hiss as possible, then turn my mp3 player up from there on. So in the end it turns out to be like, 50-60% amp, and only 20% source.

I could just be doing this totally "wrong" though, but this is how I've been doing it.

Jan 29, 2009 at 1:33 AM Post #10 of 25
I have heard that if you go above 70, you get audio degration from the headphone out jack.

I haven't tested this because I use a lod, but maybe you should try to keep it around 70% and adjusting the amp from there.

Jan 29, 2009 at 1:52 AM Post #11 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by paulybatz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Get an LOD

+1 much better sound out of an lod.

Jan 29, 2009 at 2:02 AM Post #12 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by billybob_jcv /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I prefer the LOD and just forget the EQ. IMHO the iPOD EQ is too coarse - it hurts as much as it helps.

To each his own, I think that most want "pure"est sound...and allow the phones to add colour. A nice dead soft silver LOD is profound...I have a qables silvercab pro (from sacd-man), very very nice!

Jan 29, 2009 at 7:38 AM Post #13 of 25
I don't mean to thread jack...but just for informational sake...

What if the source is not an IPOD. Everyone seems just to avoid the question and say, "JUST GET AN LOD."

what if the source you have does not have a "line out" option. For example a cowon d2 or sansa clip/fuze/etc.

Is there proven method that we can settle on as the correct way of using the headphone out with an amp?

Jan 29, 2009 at 11:47 AM Post #15 of 25
Yeah. I've been using a laptop myself and I've been wondering how I should balance the volume levels on the laptop, the player software, and the amp..

Changing the volume on my laptop seems to only change the volume level of the operating system. So it's on a software level still.

How do I change the volume level of the hardware/sound card?
And what level should I use with an amp?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back