Volume settings X3 help?
Feb 20, 2021 at 7:28 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

Digeeedad

100+ Head-Fier
After a few years of only using headphones, I recently bought some active/amplified desktop speakers. Needing some advice on setting volume levels of 3 components in a connected chain. Any help/explanation would be greatly appreciated.

PC/Windows 10
JDS Labs El DAC II
JDS Labs El Amp II
Beyerdynamic DT 1990 Pro headphones
Vanatoo Transparent Zero desktop speakers (just added)

My question involves the volume settings on the PC, the JDS Labs El Amp II and that on the Vanatoo Transparent Zeros. The connection chain is PC > JDS Labs Amp II and DAC II via USB > Transparent Zeros via analog pre-amp outputs on the JDS Amp. All have volume/gain controls making 3 volume settings necessary. I will be using the volume control on the JDS Amp to adjust the volume of the speakers. I assume that I would adjust the main output volume of the PC and leave that static, as well as the volume knob, on the speakers left static. Any suggestions as to the volume level for the computer and speakers? Right now I have the computer volume set to 75%, the speaker volume set at 50% and the JDS amp varied as to desired listening volume. Is there any rule of thumb for these volume settings?

Thanks

Attachments

• 2021-02-16 16.38.53.jpg
    2021-02-16 16.38.53.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Feb 22, 2021 at 10:06 PM Post #2 of 4
After a few years of only using headphones, I recently bought some active/amplified desktop speakers. Needing some advice on setting volume levels of 3 components in a connected chain. Any help/explanation would be greatly appreciated.

PC/Windows 10
JDS Labs El DAC II
JDS Labs El Amp II
Beyerdynamic DT 1990 Pro headphones
Vanatoo Transparent Zero desktop speakers (just added)

My question involves the volume settings on the PC, the JDS Labs El Amp II and that on the Vanatoo Transparent Zeros. The connection chain is PC > JDS Labs Amp II and DAC II via USB > Transparent Zeros via analog pre-amp outputs on the JDS Amp. All have volume/gain controls making 3 volume settings necessary. I will be using the volume control on the JDS Amp to adjust the volume of the speakers. I assume that I would adjust the main output volume of the PC and leave that static, as well as the volume knob, on the speakers left static. Any suggestions as to the volume level for the computer and speakers? Right now I have the computer volume set to 75%, the speaker volume set at 50% and the JDS amp varied as to desired listening volume. Is there any rule of thumb for these volume settings?

Thanks

So, the basic idea is that you want as few things as possible controlling the volume in the chain. Personally, I run my Vanatoos through bluetooth and call it a day. They sound pretty fantastic that way and then all I have to worry about is the volume knob on the speakers. But, if you want to use some of your other gear, here's what can help.

First, make sure that Windows has permission to use exclusive mode for audio. If you google that, you can find a step-by-step how-to. I'd post those directions, but then I'd have to google it. :wink: Also, make sure that you've installed whatever drivers your DAC needs. Check the manufacturer website. It could be the DAC doesn't need any or can run without them, but if they're out there it's always a good idea to use those drivers.

Second, ditch the preamp. The Zeros have their own amp built in, and it should be sufficient to get good volume. I hardly ever get to a third of the way up on the knob, and that ends up pretty loud. Maybe bluetooth is different. If later you find it's not getting enough volume, it's easy to add back in. But, just be aware that the amp will process the signal an extra time adding its own distortion and noise in the process.

Third, now that you're running straight out of the DAC outputs, you're going to want to check the manual for the DAC and try to find out how to set the thing to unity gain or pass through or line-out. It'll be called one of those things, but essentially it means that the signal leaves the DAC at a standard line-level, without any additional amplification or attenuation.

With all that, you'll have the simplest chain possible and, as a result, the least amount of distortion/noise getting added in. You'll have just one gain stage amplifying the signal (the one in the speakers themselves) and just one volume knob attenuating the signal (again, the one on the speakers themselves).

Hope that helps! By the why, I dig your yoga block speaker stands. I got the same ones myself. They're perfect!

20210222_195657.jpg

Feb 22, 2021 at 10:31 PM Post #3 of 4
Thanks for the great info and suggestions Phthora! Yeah... the yoga blocks work fine for me. I think mainly they are good for getting the Vanatoos up off the desktop surface. I don't need much in the way of isolation from bass vibrations because I have the Vanatoos setup on the shelved mode, with a subwoofer. I've had the Vanatoos for a week now and am so glad that I learned about their existence thru Google and YouTube searches! Awesome little speakers, with nothing little about their sound! I've already put in many many hours of music listening time. They're definitely keepers! Thanks again for taking the time to reply.

Feb 23, 2021 at 10:32 PM Post #4 of 4
Thanks for the great info and suggestions Phthora! Yeah... the yoga blocks work fine for me. I think mainly they are good for getting the Vanatoos up off the desktop surface. I don't need much in the way of isolation from bass vibrations because I have the Vanatoos setup on the shelved mode, with a subwoofer. I've had the Vanatoos for a week now and am so glad that I learned about their existence thru Google and YouTube searches! Awesome little speakers, with nothing little about their sound! I've already put in many many hours of music listening time. They're definitely keepers! Thanks again for taking the time to reply.

No problem. And you're right, these babies are awesome. I think Zeos got me interested in the Zeros, and man, am I pleased with my purchase. They're basically everything I wanted out of speakers and they're downright affordable. Perfect for desktop.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back