Volume problem with my Corsair SP2500 due to blown fuse.
Sep 17, 2014 at 2:47 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

Xileize

New Head-Fier
Hey guys,

I recently had a problem with my Corsair SP2500's (which prompted the creation of the new speaker thread about a week ago) and I'm trying to get them fixed but I've run into an issue.
I came back from holiday on Sunday the 7th, and when I turn my speakers on at the wall, there was a pop and they refused to power on. I opened it up and it looked like a fuse had gone, so I bought some replacements. The replacements came today and the system now powers on, which is where the current issue comes in.
They do work, but you can only faintly hear them if you turn it up to max volume. I am not electrically knowledgeable by any stretch of the imagination, so I wouldn't even know where to start. Would anyone be able to offer any kind of advice?

Looking at the boards, I can't see any immediate issues, but here are images of the two:

Corsair SP2500

Thanks.

Sep 17, 2014 at 3:38 PM Post #2 of 13
Have you tried using a different power cord and at a different wall socket?

Secondly, if you plug in your phone or MP3 player using the AUX2 input on the remote control and playback music, do you have the same volume issue?

Sep 17, 2014 at 3:49 PM Post #3 of 13
I have tried a different socket and cord, to no avail.

I just tried using the AUX2 port by plugging my headphones in and it works completely fine. Is this a good thing or a bad thing?

Sep 17, 2014 at 4:05 PM Post #4 of 13
Do you mean you plugged the headphones into the headphone jack and it was ok? I think the AUX2 is at the back of the remote.

If you input music from a player into that remote control (I usually use a 3.5mm male to male cable for that) then select AUX2 as the input on the remote, do you have the same issue using the speakers?

It could be as simple as a loose Molex connection to the board inside the subwoofer, I know when you plug headphones in to the remote then the internal amplifiers don't use any power so it might go some way towards explaining why volume through the headphones is fine.

Sep 17, 2014 at 4:12 PM Post #5 of 13
I plugged the subwoofer into the headphone jack on my pc, then my headphones into the AUX2 port and they worked just fine. After unplugging the headphones the sound went quiet again through the satellites.

I just tried reseating all the cables to no avail. When unplugging the headphones from the AUX2 port, the sound comes out of the satellites a little louder but that only lasts for about half a second.

Sep 17, 2014 at 4:20 PM Post #6 of 13
Ah I think we misunderstand each other.

I'm calling the little one shown here in the picture on the right AUX2. You wouldn't get any sound out of that to headphones as it's an input only jack.

What I'm suggesting is plugging an audio source, such as your MP3 player or phone, into this AUX2 jack (using 3.5mm male to male cable) and selecting your input as AUX2 on the remote control screen. This way you can check whether the issue is to do with the source or not.

The way you setup, with the PC --> Sub --> Remote --> Headphones, that doesn't use any of the SP2500's amplifiers or power so that will explain why it sounds completely normal.

Sep 17, 2014 at 4:51 PM Post #8 of 13
Ok. I'd test the subwoofer in isolation without the satellites connected to see if it can rumble as it usually does. Then maybe try one satellite then the other just in case one of them is causing an issue.

Beyond that, it's again always worth double checking that everything is properly connected, taking it all apart and reconnecting, use an air duster on the sockets and internals in case something is being blocked.

From personal experience I once had an issue like the SP2500 turning on and off randomly and it was as simple as the power cord being slightly loose, hopefully there is a similarly simple fix for you

Sep 17, 2014 at 5:25 PM Post #9 of 13
Just fiddled about with the cables again and tried every combination (just sub, L only, R only, both) but none of them made a difference. I will say that the sub hasn't shown a shred of life this whole time. It doesn't appear to be outputting anything whatsoever.

Sep 17, 2014 at 5:31 PM Post #10 of 13
Are you sure it's not muted? If you ensure the 'Night Mode' program on the remote is off, then turn subwoofer volume to max, then press in the volume button, that mutes & unmutes it

Jun 1, 2016 at 1:24 PM Post #11 of 13
For anyone finding this thread at some point (I found it on a Google search for subwoofer trouble with the Corsair SP2500), I had the exact same issue as above, except my fuse never blew. Seeing as I have had my speakers for 5 years, I decided to try and troubleshoot the problem myself, taking apart the subwoofer. After screwing off the main power-board from the casing, I tried identifying the problem with a multimeter, but couldn't really pinpoint the issue. I found a resistor that appeared burnt-out, and seemed to be dead. So I turned the board over, and the problem became pretty apparent. An SMD component, C903 I think the number was, was completely destroyed. As in, pieces of the chip were missing. My guess is the resistor burnt out, and took the SMD component with it. Suffice to say, I don't think it's fixable by normal users, and I'd wager it's probably not worth fixing, if the speakers are new enough to be under warranty (mine weren't.

Best Regards.

Jul 30, 2016 at 8:45 AM Post #12 of 13
  For anyone finding this thread at some point (I found it on a Google search for subwoofer trouble with the Corsair SP2500), I had the exact same issue as above, except my fuse never blew. Seeing as I have had my speakers for 5 years, I decided to try and troubleshoot the problem myself, taking apart the subwoofer. After screwing off the main power-board from the casing, I tried identifying the problem with a multimeter, but couldn't really pinpoint the issue. I found a resistor that appeared burnt-out, and seemed to be dead. So I turned the board over, and the problem became pretty apparent. An SMD component, C903 I think the number was, was completely destroyed. As in, pieces of the chip were missing. My guess is the resistor burnt out, and took the SMD component with it. Suffice to say, I don't think it's fixable by normal users, and I'd wager it's probably not worth fixing, if the speakers are new enough to be under warranty (mine weren't.

Best Regards.

Thank you for figuring out your problem. I had the exact same issue, and symptoms. And, as with you, the C903 component was burnt out. There is possibly a resistor on the other side that looks burnt out. Impossible to see what kind of resistor it should be, as it's completely black. Closeup images here: http://imgur.com/a/eDUi1

Also, the C903 component is a 3843GM-E1 semiconductor. I'll try to replace this and see if it works. Not sure where to order these things from, but its worth a try :)

Aug 5, 2016 at 8:01 AM Post #13 of 13
I have had the same problem as OP - came back from holiday, turn speakers on, pop. Low volume, otherwise works fine.

I opened up the set as they were out of warranty and couldn't see anything at first (despite clear residue around centre of board) and looked again after finding this thread to see the right tall pink resistor has a small burn and the PCB is slightly browned where the mosfet is.

Did you have any luck repairing this? if so, what parts?

Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back