Volume Pot Wiring
Sep 14, 2009 at 2:49 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Patrickh60

New Head-Fier
Can someone make a recommendation on the proper wiring of this pot? It has 6 connections between two lugs I thought were the grounds. My meter indicates the outer two connections on the top and bottom in the photo operate correctly--the needle moves when the shaft is turned. The center two lugs show no movement. When wired, it works...but there's no change in the volume! I have the Right input running IN to the top lug, Out from the second lug. I have the Left channel running IN to the bottom lug, out from the 5th lug. The amp works when wired, but the volume won't budge. I tried removing the Out for the Right channel and touched it to each of the lugs. I got sound out of each of them.
VolumePot01.jpg

Sep 14, 2009 at 3:22 AM Post #2 of 6
Interesting side note: I found Fiddler's note from 3/04 on wiring the pot. Now I get some action but it's not quite right. The sound comes on well into the turn of the shaft. The left side comes up first. The right side finally comes on well into the turn, about 3/4 of the way.

Some progress anyway. Anyone have a suggestion on the correction?

Sep 14, 2009 at 3:50 AM Post #3 of 6
The two lugs on the outside might be to a chassis ground. Normally, with the shaft facing you and pins down, the ground are the pins on the left. The pins on the right are the input, and the middle pins are the wipers.

Sep 14, 2009 at 8:06 PM Post #4 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by jageur272 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The two lugs on the outside might be to a chassis ground. Normally, with the shaft facing you and pins down, the ground are the pins on the left. The pins on the right are the input, and the middle pins are the wipers.

Thanks, Jageur! I'll have to try that. Can't hurt at this point.
jecklinsmile.gif

Sep 15, 2009 at 1:03 AM Post #5 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by jageur272 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Ok, that didn't work. Ground for the two left. Can I combine them with one lead going to ground? Right two are inputs. Middle two out to the board. Do those four have to be matched, position-wise?

Result: Sound on both channels. A little buzzy. No change in volume.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back