volume of headphone and volume of computer?
Dec 10, 2003 at 10:31 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

harkamus

500+ Head-Fier
What should I set my volume as on my computer? I figure if I turn it really low, I would have to turn my headphone volume really high. If I have the computer volume really high, I would have to turn my headphone volume really low to compensate.

Is there any difference at all? The only thing good I see with having a low computer volume would be an added precaution. I can see someone wanting to get a kick out of blasting my headphone volume...with the system volume low, that person would have to turn the knob from my headphones really far to get the same effect.

Is this a stupid question?
tongue.gif

Dec 10, 2003 at 1:03 PM Post #2 of 19
meh just turn the volume on ur computer to the max and adjust the amp to something that just starts to be bad for ur ears. see that way u cant damage ur ears so badly... just a thought

other than that just turn ur volume on the computer up and adjust the rest from the amp

Dec 10, 2003 at 1:20 PM Post #3 of 19
the computer's volume should be at max.
the lower the volume is from the computer, the more you're coming close to the noise floor.
and it's much more dangerous with the computer's volume down, because you can accidently turn it up to max all of a sudden by mistake. it happeded to me, and it ain't nice.

just don't host people that get the kicks from blasting your ears and you're safe from all directions.

Dec 10, 2003 at 2:11 PM Post #4 of 19
Quote:

Originally posted by AdamZuf
the computer's volume should be at max.
the lower the volume is from the computer, the more you're coming close to the noise floor.

What is noise floor?

DOH! I totally forgot about the volume control on my amp. Mind you, all my stuff is in the mail and I'm quite new to the whole headphone scene. I'm trying to learn as much as I can before I get my gear in 1 - 2 weeks. So I should max my computer volume and use my headphone volume for adjustments? Should I even mess with my headphone volume?

If this helps.... Beyerdynamic DT 770 non-pro, PPA amp, Audigy 2 ZS

Dec 10, 2003 at 2:16 PM Post #5 of 19
run a search. there are many answers that will be better then mine, i assure you
smily_headphones1.gif

damn, i hope you don't have any intentions to use a bass boost with your PPA
biggrin.gif

Dec 10, 2003 at 3:54 PM Post #7 of 19
you could actually break the record of the bassiest sound ever heard from headphones
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 10, 2003 at 4:15 PM Post #8 of 19
Always have digital volume controls maxed out!

By using the digital volume control you decrease the resolution and dynamics of the signal. The noise, as AdamZuf has mentioned, will be amplified more as well.

The more you amplify the signal in the poweramp the more you amplify the noise.

Dec 10, 2003 at 6:55 PM Post #10 of 19
Before we continue rambling on about what to adjust your headphone volume...does the BeyerDynamic 770 even have a volume control?

Most good headphones leave out the volume control. No one wants a cheap pot in the path to serve a purpose which is 99.9999% surely duplicated before it.

Other than that, adjust the volumes the way you like it. Keeping in mind that you don't want to minimize the dynamic range of any digital output. But it is not always that simple as not all soundcard implementations are the same when it comes to line out, digital out, amplified line out. Most cheapy soundcards are amplified line-outs meant to power cheapy non-amplified speakers. But to keep your volume max/highest without distortion at all stages before the last (last ideally being in the actual headphone amp), is the rule of thumb.

Dec 10, 2003 at 7:01 PM Post #11 of 19
Never ever run your Audigy2 ZS at 100% volume.
Even though the card has been modded the distortion at 100% volume is higher then it is at 80%.
Once everything ships you will be able to figure that out for yourself.
smily_headphones1.gif

As far as the bass boost goes ... the Creative driver has one built into them so you can still have the bassiest system known to mankind if you wish.
biggrin.gif

Dec 10, 2003 at 7:40 PM Post #12 of 19
Your headphones probably don't have a volume control unless you have bought some really crappy ones, and in that case, you probably don't need an amp.
tongue.gif

Try your sound card with the volume anywhere from 75% to 100%. It shouldn't be distorted at any volume level, but as the volume increases, there is a greater chance that you will have distortion. Once you find a level that is as high as possible without distortion, then don't screw with it. Only fiddle with your amp's volume control, as there's no reason to have two variables when you are trying to get the right sound level.

Dec 11, 2003 at 3:19 AM Post #14 of 19
I was talking to my brother earlier about the different volume controls since he and I both used to be into car audio. So this will come from a car audio perspective, but it makes perfect sense in any application that dictates the use of an amplifier.

Anyways, he and I came to the conclusion that the amplifier volume should be maxed, and then the computer volume set as loud as possible without distortion. The amp should be efficient enough to warrent max volume.... Any properly designed amp should not distort at maximum volume.

Any thoughts on this?

Dec 11, 2003 at 3:24 AM Post #15 of 19
So you had a talk with your brother and decided the best volume settings are to pretty much have max volume? hehe do these epiphanies come around often between you two?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back