Volume Levels From PC To DAC?
Feb 17, 2008 at 4:45 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

FarFromCentre

Head-Fier
What you guys recommend for volume levels in my media player, windows volume panel and my headphone amp.

This is my setup: Auzentech X-Fi Prelude > Digital Optical Cable > Zhaolu D3.0 DAC > Silver RCA interconnects > Custom built Millet MAX headphone amplifier > Beyerdynamic DT880's '05 edition with a custom silver cable.

Feb 17, 2008 at 4:55 AM Post #2 of 14
Output from your pc should be maxxed. Control your volume with your amp. Using your volume in the software will loose bit depth.

Feb 17, 2008 at 4:59 AM Post #3 of 14
Volume from the PC should be 0.0dB, not sure if that is "max" in every case. Basically, you want there to be no amplification or attenuation by the PC.

Feb 17, 2008 at 4:59 AM Post #4 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Happy Camper /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Output from your pc should be maxxed. Control your volume with your amp. Using your volume in the software will loose bit depth.

What should I set the volume in my player to? Do you mean everything maxxed from the PC or just the volume panel?

Feb 17, 2008 at 5:07 AM Post #5 of 14
I have it maxxed. Plays fine.

Feb 17, 2008 at 5:14 AM Post #6 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by BIG POPPA /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have it maxxed. Plays fine.

Sweet thanks
biggrin.gif
, I had it at randoms levels for each before and now it's maxxed and I'm controlling it with the amp. It sounds quite a bit better now
biggrin.gif

Feb 17, 2008 at 6:18 AM Post #7 of 14
To get 0dB in the windows mixer, set the volume at 100% for software outputs (like Wave) (not sure about Vista though). For analogue outputs (master out, for example), it will depend on the implementation of your sound card driver, but it's usually best to keep it at exactly 50%.

Even better, just use ASIO and avoid the mixer altogether.

Feb 17, 2008 at 7:51 AM Post #8 of 14
All volume levels in the audio path prior to the DAC should be set to Max. Otherwise you will never get bit-perfect audio.

Feb 17, 2008 at 9:42 AM Post #9 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by krmathis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
All volume levels in the audio path should be set to Max.

I hope that doesn't include the headphone amp
eek.gif

Feb 17, 2008 at 10:29 AM Post #11 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jaska /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I hope that doesn't include the headphone amp
eek.gif

Clarified my post, and added "prior to the DAC".
Cause clearly the amplifier volume don't need to be set to Max.
wink.gif

Mar 2, 2008 at 5:08 AM Post #12 of 14
Quick question.

How is the volume output level on a DAC compared to the volume output of the soundcard? Is the volume output on a DAC very quiet?

The reason I ask is because I will most likely have to switch to a DAC in order to get the sound quality I like. My problem is that when I bypass the opamp on my soundcard to get a 100% clean audio signal, the volume is much too quiet. I want to avoid this if I upgrade to a DAC.

Mar 2, 2008 at 7:35 AM Post #13 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by fetalgoat /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Quick question.

How is the volume output level on a DAC compared to the volume output of the soundcard? Is the volume output on a DAC very quiet?

The reason I ask is because I will most likely have to switch to a DAC in order to get the sound quality I like. My problem is that when I bypass the opamp on my soundcard to get a 100% clean audio signal, the volume is much too quiet. I want to avoid this if I upgrade to a DAC.

Depends on the sound card and the DAC.
Some devices output a very strong signal, while other output a weaker one.

Mar 2, 2008 at 10:05 AM Post #14 of 14
I think when you use bit perfect mode in audio creation mode with the x-fi it maxes everything out anyhow. Plus when you transfer the DIGITAL signal through optical or coaxial, there really is no logical way for there to be distortion whether the soundcard is sending signals max'ed out or not (I hope that makes sense).

Only when sound is being transfered in analog stage would there be issues with possible distortion or detail loss. So basically have your xfi's settings all max'ed out, PC's volumes up at their highest, then play with the dac, or amp's control to tweak the sound.

I think in the most ideal case it would be PC @ highest volume > DAC @ 0 db (to preserve all details) > Amp - amp is the one spot where you should play around with the sound to get to a comfortable listening experience. I could be wrong though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back