Volume Knob Switch
Apr 5, 2005 at 9:19 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

Fresno Bob

100+ Head-Fier
has any of your guys and gals ever used a valume knob thats also the switch on and off for the cmoy amp? if so what is part number and where can they be brought. thanks. as a side note how would it be wired to the cmoy? thanks

Apr 5, 2005 at 9:34 PM Post #3 of 19
Yeah, Tangent sells one. It's about the same price as Digi-Key or other distributors I believe, but that specific Alps one is kind of hard to find from what I remember...I mean not without paying extra shipping charges from another distributor. So it's easier to get it from Tangent since you probably are order PCBs or something else anyway.

Apr 5, 2005 at 10:47 PM Post #5 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by Fresno Bob
they switch on and off as well so i will not need a mini switch on the cmoy?

There's an SPST switch built into the pot, so there are two additional lugs on the pot that you connect where a separate switch would go in the amp. You turn the volume all the way down to turn the amp off.

Apr 5, 2005 at 10:50 PM Post #6 of 19
Nope. The front 6 pins with shaft pointing towards you are for the potentiometer functions and the rear 2 are for switch duties. A convenient nifty pot but I wonder if having power on the same chassis as the pot would introduce noise.

Apr 6, 2005 at 1:08 AM Post #10 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by Fresno Bob
whats the part number

RK0971221Z05.

Quote:

do you still carry it?

Everything on the parts page is in stock unless stated otherwise.

Apr 6, 2005 at 3:35 PM Post #11 of 19
Does the switched pot fit directly into the PCB on a Mint or a Pimeta? Sound like a good way to save pannel space on a mint. I suppose that even if it does fit on the PCB the switch has to be wired to the board, true?

If it is actually a space saver, will/could the mint board be modified to support the pot, including the power switch?

Apr 6, 2005 at 3:56 PM Post #12 of 19
__redruM i plan on making a pcb that should allow the pot to be mounted on the board. im however am making a cmoy right now using this pot. i belave this pot has been used on a mint pcb. you will have to wait for a responce from some of the more better known builders here to get a better answer.

Apr 6, 2005 at 5:56 PM Post #13 of 19
The Alps switched pot in question does in fact mount directly to a PIMETA board. I just finished a PIMETA using it. In my opinion, the build quality of the Alps is definately nicer than the alternative Panasonic pot. Having a built in switch just makes it gravy.
smily_headphones1.gif

Edit: on the PIMETA, there are pads for the pot switch. You just run two wires from it to the switch pads on the back end of the board (near the power input). Here's a pic.
AUT_1431_640.JPG

near the IL/IR/IG on the right side you'll see --. those are the pads for the built in switch. on the left side near the + - in, you'll see another -- . I love the amount of thought that went into the PCB layout. Excellent design.

Apr 7, 2005 at 5:56 PM Post #15 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by rreynol
In my opinion, the build quality of the Alps is definately nicer than the alternative Panasonic pot. Having a built in switch just makes it gravy.
smily_headphones1.gif

Just something to think about... the name alps doesn't necessarily mean anything. Some of their lower end pots (priced similarly to the Panasonic) have been known to perform significantly worse. I have no personal experience with this switched alps pot.

Nate

Users who are viewing this thread

Back