Volume knob problem?
Aug 4, 2003 at 5:26 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

Multi

100+ Head-Fier
Hi guys,

I recently bought a used META42 (previously built by Subsonic) and it arrived w/ the volume knob off the rod, probably the screw broke in the mail.

Everything works great and sounds great but it's hard to twist the volume rod (pot?) sometimes so I'm trying to fix it. I tried to screw it on the rod thing, but there is no screwhead in the volume knob's hole.

So I found a small screw and tried to screw it in and noticed a larger sized screw (6-32 according the website) moving in and out in the inner diameter, however it won't move if pressed against the rod (probably because the small screw doesn't exatly fit or something).

So what can I do? Do I have to go pick up a screw or a whole new knob?

The knob as posted by Subsonic a while ago is : Kilo ML series (digikey 226-4002-ND)

Thanks for you help!

Aug 4, 2003 at 5:33 AM Post #2 of 12
Check the packaging carefully. If it rattled out in shipping, it's still in the box. It'll be a stubby little cylindrical thing with a hex key head.

Aug 4, 2003 at 5:41 AM Post #3 of 12
I check the packaging several times when I received the amp and could not find anything .
frown.gif

Aug 4, 2003 at 7:49 AM Post #4 of 12
Hey, this same exact thing happened to me also. The knob fell off during shipping, and I have no screw now. I checked the package thouroughly and couldn't find it. I hope I can just find a replacement screw somewhere, I really like the knob that is on my META right now.....well I guess its not really on it, now is it?
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 4, 2003 at 12:53 PM Post #5 of 12
Hard to imagine it backed itself completely out of the threaded pocket... are you sure it's not way down in there? (but not contacting the shaft of the pot)?

The Alps blues are firm to twist, especially if there is no knob!

The Kilos are nice, so I'd try to salvage it if at all possible... they are not inexpensive.
If you cannot save it, I have an order going in to Digikey this week, and could tail on another knob if you like. You could have it at cost plus $4 for the shipping to you. It would save you the minimum order charge, at least
frown.gif

Aug 4, 2003 at 2:07 PM Post #6 of 12
I you send me your addy, I can send you a securing screw. I have a couple here laying around. Won't be able to get it out until Thursday though.

Aug 4, 2003 at 6:16 PM Post #7 of 12
Quote:

Originally posted by tangent
Check the packaging carefully. If it rattled out in shipping, it's still in the box. It'll be a stubby little cylindrical thing with a hex key head.

I didn't get any of those when I got mine from digikey
frown.gif

Anyhow, the screw is a 6-32 set screw with a round cup head and a length of either 3/16" or 1/4".

http://www.mcmaster.com/param/asp/ps...=55706;125=499

To check if it's actually just far down in the socket, take the knob off and look through the hole. If you can see the middle cavity, then the screw's gone, if not, then it's just far down there. You need a hex wrench to turn it to where it contacts, it needs to be 1.5mm or 1/16":

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=45852

Aug 4, 2003 at 7:04 PM Post #8 of 12
Quote:

To check if it's actually just far down in the socket, take the knob off and look through the hole. If you can see the middle cavity, then the screw's gone, if not, then it's just far down there. You need a hex wrench to turn it to where it contacts, it needs to be 1.5mm or 1/16":

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=45852

Woohoo.....I can't see through the hole. I gotta go find me some hex wrenches. Thanks for the tip....even if it wasn't for me.
wink.gif

Aug 4, 2003 at 9:25 PM Post #10 of 12
Update: I found an alan wrench, and attached the knob to my amp. Thanks for the help, I appreciate it. The feel of the pot is awesome. It has the perfect tension with the knob attached.

Aug 5, 2003 at 6:10 AM Post #11 of 12
I went and took out my 1/16" hex wrench and jammed it in the hole as hard as I could and twisted and it worked! I feel really silly and bad right now
tongue.gif
. Thanks for your help and generous offers for my "problem"! You guys rock.

Thanks again!

Aug 5, 2003 at 1:07 PM Post #12 of 12
After doing that, you can see that it would be a stretch for that tiny setscrew to back ALL the way out of the hole. It is a bit difficult to tighten it without twisting the very skinny hex key that fits.

Some locktite, or even a drop of clear nailpolish on the threads before inserting the setscrew does help keep it in place, and still allows you to remove it.

My favorite knobs are the collet-retention type, but there are not many attractive styles, and most are plastic of some sort. These grip the pot shaft like the collet on a dremel tool grabs the shaft of the burr or bit. I'd like to see an aluminum knob that is collet-retained, with an aluminum flush dustcap retained by an O-ring. But that sounds impractical for the mass-market, I suppose.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back