Volume in relation the music genre.
May 20, 2010 at 7:35 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

Sonic 748i

VoLTaG3 re-registered
Do you also tend to want to crank the volume higher for genres with bass being the star of the show? Such as drum n' bass, techno and hip hop? I do and then when go back to listening to jazz, vocals, blues, rock, etc... I turn the volume down to as loud as I would hear them in real life. The thing is though I can't really get into the bass oriented songs without cranking the volume up and then after about 1 hour I get listening fatigue. I can listen all day if I keep the same volume I do for jazz, vocals, blues, rock, etc... on my bass oriented songs...

May 20, 2010 at 7:52 PM Post #2 of 12
I love my setup, even though I love the sensation of bass pounding at the louder volumes I also love hearing the bass and the different notes all in the most highest clarity and detail possible at regular listening volume...I can hear the different bass notes and the raw detail also at higher volumes but I then get listening fatigue eventually and I find myself upping the volume because everything sounds blurred. It's just my ears tired and needs a rest. But at regular volume I don't get the satisfactory sensation of bass but it's still there and it seems like I can hear more details from the music and for a much longer time...
smile.gif

Jun 15, 2010 at 1:39 PM Post #8 of 12
I do the exact same thing man. Classical, Acoustic, and Jazz/Vocal stuff, I get it as natural as I think it would be; when I'm listening to rock, hip hop, electronic, pop, etc, I crank the music up with some EQ in there too :)

Jun 15, 2010 at 1:44 PM Post #9 of 12
I turn the volume up with more detailed, mellower music to hear the detail and down with any' wall of noise' style as that gets too much.

Jun 19, 2010 at 10:08 PM Post #10 of 12
It sounds like people do two completely opposite things. Very interesting thread. I'm in the "up for instrumental and vocal, down for pop/rock/electronic" group. It's mainly so I don't get listening fatigue and so I don't wreck my ears. It is really amazing to actually hear the bass from headphones like the ATH-M50. Sometimes I turn the bass way up for electronic music but the next day If I listen to the same song without EQ the song almost sounds more bass focused because the bass is actually playing bellow the rest of the music instead of playing over the other instruments.

Jun 20, 2010 at 10:22 AM Post #11 of 12
i turn it down low for rock and metal (except symphonic metal) 
medium for punk and everything else (not that i really listen to everything else much)
and high for classical and symphonic metal, 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back