Volume Damage to Sennheiser HD 515's
Feb 24, 2009 at 12:15 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Tom91

New Head-Fier
I have a relatively new pair of Sennheisers and I was really impressed with the sound quality, but recently I've been listening to them on pretty high volume on the PC (like full), or just leaving them on and leaving the computer for a bit. I didn't think this would cause any damage, but the sound quality appears to be compromised somewhat when listening to music loud, especially the bass. I guess I'm just wondering whether I could have permanently damaged my headphones by playing music too loud?

Sorry if this is the wrong forum, I'm a bit of a newbie when it comes to headphones

Feb 24, 2009 at 12:34 AM Post #2 of 5
You might actually be wearing the drivers in as opposed to damaging them. Headphones heard straight out of the box will generally sound different from the same pair that have been used for several dozen hours.

Feb 24, 2009 at 12:59 PM Post #3 of 5
Unless your sound card doesn't put out much volume, I would be more concerned about damaging your ears than the headphones.

Feb 25, 2009 at 2:08 AM Post #4 of 5
Most audio cards do not have the current, voltage, and wattage drive to successfully drive headphones to the fidelity that we all cherish. My suggestion is to purchase a headphone amp. Nothing too fancy just to get your feet wet (metaphorically). Just check out the forum for suggestions.

Low impedance headphones such as number 32 and 64-ohms models from Sennheiser are generally current hungry. A good quality amp will help alleviate certain problems such as the bass. Give it a try and see if it will help with the distortion (from what it sounds like).

Until Then. Have a great week.

Feb 25, 2009 at 6:17 PM Post #5 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tom91 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have a relatively new pair of Sennheisers and I was really impressed with the sound quality, but recently I've been listening to them on pretty high volume on the PC (like full), or just leaving them on and leaving the computer for a bit. I didn't think this would cause any damage, but the sound quality appears to be compromised somewhat when listening to music loud, especially the bass. I guess I'm just wondering whether I could have permanently damaged my headphones by playing music too loud?

Sorry if this is the wrong forum, I'm a bit of a newbie when it comes to headphones

Not from a computer soundcard out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back