Volume controls all over the place
Sep 27, 2007 at 12:56 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

dimm0k

100+ Head-Fier
Currently I have a Dell notebook running Windows for iTunes inside VMWare under Linux and the notebook's soundcard is connected to my receiver. iTunes, Windows, Linux and the receiver all have their own volume controls so I was wondering what do you guys do with all these volume controls?

Sep 27, 2007 at 1:19 AM Post #2 of 17
I leave all of them at 90% and just use the control on my speakers. If anything does get adjusted, it's the Windows one via my keyboard.

Sep 27, 2007 at 1:30 AM Post #3 of 17
Thats a really messy setup you have there. If I were you, I would dual boot with Windows XP and use foobar with asio output, which will bypass all software volume controls as well as the kmixer, and then hook your receiver up to the line out on your sound card and just use the volume control on the receiver.

You DO have the receiver hooked up to an un-amped line level output on the sound card, correct?

Sep 27, 2007 at 2:28 AM Post #4 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by 003 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thats a really messy setup you have there. If I were you, I would dual boot with Windows XP and use foobar with asio output, which will bypass all software volume controls as well as the kmixer, and then hook your receiver up to the line out on your sound card and just use the volume control on the receiver.

You DO have the receiver hooked up to an un-amped line level output on the sound card, correct?

Hrmm, it does sound like a messy setup, but I get to run everything without having to reboot back and forth... As for having the receiver hooked up to an un-amped line level output on the soundcard I don't believe I have that option as I am using the internal soundcard supplied with the notebook. The only jacks are the mic jack and the headphone jack, the latter being the one I'm using.

Sep 27, 2007 at 2:58 AM Post #6 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by error401 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just use a native media player (you boot Windows in VMWare just for iTunes?! You're nuts :p Have you tried Rhythmbox or Amarok?)...

Hehe, believe it or not I actually like the way iTunes works. Haven't tried Rhythmbox, but I do use Amarok for sampling new stuff while iTunes is for stuff that's already on my iPod. I would like an all-in-one solution, but don't see anything better...

Sep 27, 2007 at 3:36 AM Post #7 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by dimm0k /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hehe, believe it or not I actually like the way iTunes works. Haven't tried Rhythmbox, but I do use Amarok for sampling new stuff while iTunes is for stuff that's already on my iPod. I would like an all-in-one solution, but don't see anything better...

Rhythmbox is probably the closest to iTunes you'll find, I think - but I hate iTunes enough to not know it very well. You'll get your iPod support and all of that, and the interface is totally ripped straight from Apple :p

If you insist on the VM solution, I would recommend setting the client OS's volume settings all to maximum and control the volume from the host OS.

Sep 27, 2007 at 3:40 AM Post #8 of 17
Quote:

As for having the receiver hooked up to an un-amped line level output on the soundcard I don't believe I have that option as I am using the internal soundcard supplied with the notebook. The only jacks are the mic jack and the headphone jack, the latter being the one I'm using.

That is very bad and severely hampers sound quality, you are basically hooking up an amped analog output to another amp.

Sep 27, 2007 at 5:46 PM Post #9 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by error401 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Rhythmbox is probably the closest to iTunes you'll find, I think - but I hate iTunes enough to not know it very well. You'll get your iPod support and all of that, and the interface is totally ripped straight from Apple :p

If you insist on the VM solution, I would recommend setting the client OS's volume settings all to maximum and control the volume from the host OS.

Hrmm, thanks for the reply. Having the host OS control the volume does make more sense.

Sep 27, 2007 at 5:49 PM Post #10 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by 003 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That is very bad and severely hampers sound quality, you are basically hooking up an amped analog output to another amp.

Hrmm, didn't think about that. I guess my option to better the SQ is to upgrade to a soundcard. Any suggestions?

Sep 27, 2007 at 11:29 PM Post #11 of 17
Well you said this is on a laptop, right? That would be pretty tough. The only thing that comes to mind would be the USB E-MU 0404, which is on the pricey side.

Sep 28, 2007 at 3:03 AM Post #13 of 17
Quote:

Hrmm, didn't think about that. I guess my option to better the SQ is to upgrade to a soundcard. Any suggestions?

Since it's a laptop, perhaps go with a USB DAC. I just bought one of these:
Digital Super Pro USB DAC 707 (what a name full) and it works pretty well. It's much smaller than it looks in the picture. It's the size of a pack of cards.

P.K.

Sep 28, 2007 at 3:45 AM Post #14 of 17
After going through some threads here I'm still a little confused as to what the purpose of a DAC is. Is it an add-on to an already installed soundcard or is it to replace the soundcard?

Being that it's USB I'm a little weary on going that route because I have quite a few USB driven devices, mainly HDs. If those are doing some heavy operations would the USB DAC suffer?

Sep 28, 2007 at 5:00 AM Post #15 of 17
A couple things. If you're willing to go USB, I believe it would be fairly easy to disable the driver from loading in Linux and VMware I believe has USB support provided the host OS doesn't grab the device, so you'd be able to access the sound device directly from the guest. I don't know how well this would work, but it may be possible - then no issue, provided you don't care about the host os's sound output.

A DAC is basically just a fancy name for a soundcard that does output only. Soundcards usually have inputs, mic ports, 3d processing etc. A DAC basically just converts the digital audio signal into an analog one, without doing anything else, so no extra processing steps or inputs or anything like that. Traditionally they take an SPDIF input and give a line output, but USB variants are becoming very common.

A problem you (may) have is that they don't generally contain an amplification stage, so they can't drive headphones directly. You'd need an amplifier as well.

An AlienDAC might be a good option for you, it's a DIY project but they're very cheap parts wise, so you should be able to find a used (or even custom built) one for a reasonable price.

Regarding USB bus contention - bulk transfers that hard disks use are the lowest priority on the USB bus, so sound devices will usually fare fairly well alongside them. It's not a guarantee though, and heavy traffic might cause some problems. Most modern computers have a separate USB controller either for every port or for every set of two ports, so that helps a lot, I doubt it would be a major issue. I use an AlienDAC regularly with the portable USB2 drive I use in my car audio system copying large amounts of data with not a hiccup.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back