volume control from within iTunes
Sep 4, 2008 at 2:14 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

whaleyboy

100+ Head-Fier
Folks,

I am migrating from using a CD player to a computer-mostly source environment. I plan to use (for now) iTunes with Apple Lossless as the RIP.

Can I use the volume control from within iTunes to level match albums? I mean, of course I can use it for that but is there a compromise in terms of sound quality from using that for volume instead of the gain control on my amp.

Sep 4, 2008 at 2:33 PM Post #2 of 17
Try a quick search, there is relevant posts if you look at the similar threads down the bottom too.
Essentially: The best option is to disable all signal processing, part of is to have the digital volume at 0db (max), and then control the volume with the knob on your amp. I find a knob to be much more convenient anyway.

Sep 4, 2008 at 2:43 PM Post #3 of 17
Thank you - I am an idiot and was unable to find relevant threads
wink.gif

Sep 4, 2008 at 3:02 PM Post #4 of 17
You will compromise quality by using iTunes' volume control. Since the output signal will no longer be bit-perfect.

Sep 4, 2008 at 11:19 PM Post #5 of 17
Hello,

You can use the main volume control of iTunes 7.x onwards - it is properly dithered rather than truncated, and according to Benchmark, has very, very low distortion. But you shouldn't use the level matching volume control of each song - this will cause significant distortion. To understand more, please look at the Benchmark wiki site.

Cheers,
cansman

Sep 5, 2008 at 12:28 AM Post #6 of 17
Right, I remember that the volume controller is 24bit precise which does a good job with distortion. I just hope it does the same for the "Sound Check" option since I use iVolume to level match everything.

It sounds fine to my ears but anyone have info on that? I think that could help out whaleyboy and myself. Even if it's not the best thing to do, I'm not sure I'd move away from it unless it's really bad since it can be jarring going from one album to another.

Sep 5, 2008 at 12:38 AM Post #7 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by cansman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hello,

You can use the main volume control of iTunes 7.x onwards - it is properly dithered rather than truncated, and according to Benchmark, has very, very low distortion. But you shouldn't use the level matching volume control of each song - this will cause significant distortion. To understand more, please look at the Benchmark wiki site.

Cheers,
cansman

Thank you cansman. Very interesting.

Here is the link if anyone else wants to read it.

Sep 5, 2008 at 3:42 AM Post #8 of 17
... My situation .. Running iTunes> Mac G3 Pismo>Keces 151USB> 300B tube amps>Klipsch La Scalas.

I HAVE to run the volume at 75% in Itunes or I get noticeable distortion(at 100%). I run the system volume at 100% and the Itunes volume at 75% and it is crystal clear. My La Scalas are very revealing of bad source material

YMMV as the G3 Pismo laptop may be the issue ....

Sep 5, 2008 at 8:41 AM Post #9 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by dvessel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just hope it does the same for the "Sound Check" option since I use iVolume to level match everything.

It sounds fine to my ears but anyone have info on that?

Your hopes are misguided I'm afraid. Sound check in iTunes is baaaaaad - potentially much worse that the distortion from the volume control (which by comparison is almost inaudible).

Sep 5, 2008 at 8:48 AM Post #10 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by G.Kennedy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
... My situation .. Running iTunes> Mac G3 Pismo>Keces 151USB> 300B tube amps>Klipsch La Scalas.

I HAVE to run the volume at 75% in Itunes or I get noticeable distortion(at 100%). I run the system volume at 100% and the Itunes volume at 75% and it is crystal clear. My La Scalas are very revealing of bad source material

YMMV as the G3 Pismo laptop may be the issue ....

Something isn't right here - it really doesn't make sense. There must be something else in the chain causing the problem. There are other iTunes settings that must be followed to get bitperfect, distortion free sound too (all mentioned in the Benchmark Wiki).

I'm not saying that what you hear isn't better when at 75%, but there must be another issue causing your problem.

Sep 5, 2008 at 10:00 AM Post #12 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by poo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Your hopes are misguided I'm afraid. Sound check in iTunes is baaaaaad - potentially much worse that the distortion from the volume control (which by comparison is almost inaudible).

I hear a lot of people saying that but I don't see any information that expand on why. It's easy to blame the setting since the internal algorithm to determine the volume is fast and sloppy which can easily lead to +db boosts easily distorting the sound.

The "sound check" in my case is used in conjunction with iVolume to determine the levels. It's a lot smarter about how it figures out the levels. I also monitor it so it *never* boosts the level. It typically drops it -1db to -4db.

Sep 5, 2008 at 11:13 AM Post #13 of 17
^ I don't recall the exact reason, but found most info on hydrogenaudio. Short version is that +db boosts are not the only way sound can be distorted - this is evidenced in the distortion (however insignificant) introduced by using iTunes' volume control (which to my understanding does not have +db peaks beyond the limits of its own volume range).

I am not familiar with iVolume, but if it is used in conjunction with sound check there will be distortion AFAIK.

That said, it's all semantics if you don't hear any degradation in sound quality I guess... so if it's working for you, it's fine
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 5, 2008 at 3:49 PM Post #14 of 17
Yeah, I'll do some tests and try to find out. First with my ears then the test tone I have to detect distortion. I'll post back here when I have the chance.

Sep 5, 2008 at 5:06 PM Post #15 of 17
A question guys.

I right click on Song & click Get Info ..i increase the Volume of the song from there.

does it ruin the sound quality? ..i didnt notice any loss yet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back