Volume concerns w/ 2nd gen nano.
Oct 21, 2006 at 2:28 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Nomada

Head-Fier
I'd like to get more volume out of my ipod. What I've done so far. Raise the volume in the iTunes options. MP3gained everything to 92db. I'd still like more(I use PX100 folded outward when I ride my bike; it's not to blow my eardrums apart). I didn't have this problem with the 1st gen. at all.

Short of getting an amp, is there anything else I can do(hacks or anything)? It's a N. America player.

Also, when you boost the volume in the ipod settings, can that introduce extra clipping or distortion? How does that option work?

Oct 21, 2006 at 11:53 AM Post #4 of 10
Apparently, GoPod is of no use for N. American players.

Also, to clarify, when I'm asking about the clipping/distortion by altering the ipod settings volume, I'm not referring to the Volume Limiter function. I'm referring to the slider bar in iTunes.

As for Tinnitus. I'm not concerned. It's rarely cranked. Infact, I really only want the extra volume so I can use my headphones as portable speakers at picnic tables & such.

I was fairly sure there weren't any hacks for this; I was just confirming. I'm kinda dissapointed in the noticeable volume difference between the 2 gens.

Oct 21, 2006 at 5:42 PM Post #6 of 10
^^You think?? Anyhow, forget it. It's apparent there's no hack as of yet. I'm pretty disappointed w/ these new Nano's all in all. Between the shoddy clickwheel construction and these volume issues I really can't recommend them. The 1st ones were great though.

Oct 22, 2006 at 12:16 AM Post #7 of 10
why not try.. uhm.. listening to headphones as, you know.. headphones?

Oct 22, 2006 at 12:21 AM Post #8 of 10
I'm not sure I fully understand the situation. You're biking around with your PX100 drivers pointing outward so people can hear what you're listening to (don't you wear a helmet?)? And you're using them as speakers at picnics? You can buy cheap portable amplified speakers that would work way better at picnics, and the biking thing is just weird. All you are doing with your PX100s is destroying them, and I think you're expecting way too much from the Nano.

If you are dead set on doing this, then reset the volume level of your files and buy a cheap portable amp. I would be happy to sell you my PA2V2 for a reasonable price.

Oct 22, 2006 at 1:03 AM Post #9 of 10
I'm not riding with the headphone pointed out so people can hear the music; it's so I can hear everything around as well as the music. As for using them as speakers; sometime I like to grab a beer or what have you and sit by the water before heading home. This becomes something of a ritual with me. I don't want to carry speakers around all day for the 15 mins. a day I would use them.

Now, the headphones worked fine in this manner with the 1st gen.(no damage whatsoever). It's not like they even had to be cranked to the max before to accomplish what I needed from them. Now, I crank the new unit & it's still not even comparable. As for an amp, well it appears that's the route I'm gonna have to take.

Oct 22, 2006 at 1:09 AM Post #10 of 10
I see what you mean, but the biking thing sounds far from ideal. Then again, I suppose you are not really worried about audiophile-level quality in that situation. As for using them as speakers, I wouldn't suggest doing it with expensive headphones. Anyhow, drop me a line if you're interested in the PA2V2.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back