Voice synthesizer
Feb 17, 2005 at 7:29 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

jack

Board Engineer
Does anyone know of any good voice synthesizers? I'm looking for something that can make computer-sounding voices, similar to the original Battle Star Galactica Cylon voices, ideally with variable tone and pitch control.

Thanks.

Feb 17, 2005 at 8:18 PM Post #2 of 6
i used to use a fan. when i was 5. variable speeds - lo, hi, off. best actually for the Darleks from Dr. Who. "EXTERMINATE! EXTERMINATE!"

Feb 17, 2005 at 8:41 PM Post #3 of 6
My current gf is strangely captivated by the sound of heavily processed voices -- I don't know why. I've been afraid to pursue the matter lest I become involved in ritual artificially-enhanced-voice-fetish scenarios.

Yahs ago, lots of Satanesque/Vaderesque vox effects were done with a harmonizer tuned low and set to multiple voices. You could get similar effects by tweaking your sequencer's pitch correction algorithm far too much.

Generally, you should futz with whatever processing plug-ins you have at your disposal. There are also vocoder-simulation plug-ins available for virtually every format (esp. ProTools).

I'm also wondering why you don't simply type sentences, have your computer read them, then edit the result to conform to whatever rhythm you wish.

Most of my odd processing thirsts are slaked by Native Instrument's Komplete. (Reaktor is an exhilaratingly flexible processing/sampling/tone generating program, btw.)

Feb 19, 2005 at 7:49 AM Post #6 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by raif
so will that give you the Roger and Zapp vocal sound?

yeah, that's most likely a vocoder...i'm gonna guess that they're using some sort of vintage analog vocoder, like a Roland VP-330, or something of the like...
the microkorg, which is an emulated analog design, will give a very close sound, but won't have the warmth and tone of true analog vocoder/synthesizer. But, it will be much more reliable and most likely much less expensive than an analog design.
A good website to check out for info on synthesizers and vocoders is The Vintage Synth Explorer

Users who are viewing this thread

Back