Vodka-Fi
May 31, 2007 at 10:17 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 29

adanac061

1000+ Head-Fier
Vodka-Fi

vodka1.jpg
vodka2.jpg

vodka3.jpg

This is a thread to discuss, review and recommend vodka.
( Oh , and feel free to post when under the influence of said drink
wink.gif
)

As per Wikipedia:

"Vodka is one of the world's most consumed distilled beverages. It is typically a colorless liquid containing ethanol purified by distillation from a fermented substance such as grain or potatoes. The word is constructed as a diminutive of "water" in various Slavic languages (voda, woda, вода)."

Some Vodka's are:

- Stolichnaya
- Smirnoff
- Finlandia
- Grey Goose
- Ketel One
- Belvedere
-Chopin
- Absolut vodka
-Skyy vodka
- Hangar One
-Russian Standard (Русский стандарт)
-Armadale
-Popov vodka
Some other Head-Fi threads on Vodka.....

- "Cheap vodka + brita filter = Win!"
http://www.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=100243

- "World's best Vodka"
http://www.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=242586

Some other interesting vodka links

-Are you a Vodka snob?
http://www.impactlab.com/modules.php...icle&sid=11809

-Experiment, Cheap Vodka + Brita filter.?
http://www.ohmygoditburns.com/ (scroll down a bit for vodka experiment)

================================================== ====

May 31, 2007 at 11:45 PM Post #3 of 29
Stolichnaya, every time!
Or some of those Polish home-made flavoured ones...
biggrin.gif

Jun 1, 2007 at 12:33 AM Post #6 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by warubozu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Best vodka I've ever tasted would be Russian Standard Platinum (Russki Standart Platinum)

rsplatinum.jpg

Too bad is hard to come by in the states as my stock is running low.

Thanks for the tease
tongue.gif
I'll never find that up north.

ps: I'm definatly a ketel one convert. You can sip this vodka. mmmmm.

Jun 1, 2007 at 3:22 AM Post #8 of 29
Grey Goose is the smoothest, best Vodka made [imo]!

Jun 3, 2007 at 12:05 AM Post #9 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by shellylh /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Grey Goose is the smoothest, best Vodka made [imo]!

I haven't tried it yet. I will be buying a different bottle every two weeks from now on. Ketel one this week, Grey Goose is next.

Some vodka facts:

# Vodka accounts for more than one out of every four bottles of distilled spirits consumed in the U.S.

# Because the end product is supposed to be without a distinctive taste, vodka can be made from a fermented mash of just about any carbohydrate-containing material.

# Potatoes were traditionally used to make vodka in Russia and Poland, but most vodkas today use grain, usually corn.

# The type of charcoal used in flitration and the watersource become extremely important in vodka production

"While every night at Nikita's is an occasion, Russians don't generally need a special occasion to bring out the vodka. However, drinking is nearly always preceded by a toast. Here are a few to try out

"Budem zdorovy" - "For our health"

"Za udachu" - "For good luck"

"Na dorozhku" - "For the way" (a toast to make before leaving - the Russian equivalent of one for the road)

"Daj Bog ne v poslednij raz" - "Hopefully it's not the last time we drink, with God's help"

Russians will even drink to celebrate new purchases - this known as "obmyt" which literally means to "wash" the new object. So don't feel guilty about that shopping spree - at Nikita's it's a cause for celebration!"

cool.gif

Jun 3, 2007 at 10:48 AM Post #10 of 29
I prefer Russian and Polish vodka.
On my previous trips to Poland I usually drank Wyborowa or Żubrówka. Really great stuff!
biggrin.gif

The swedish "Absolut" is very good as well.

Jun 3, 2007 at 2:13 PM Post #12 of 29
Belvedere or Grey Goose are the way to go for rocks or martinis, just very smooth. Ketel is great for ****tails (no sense in mixing other stuff with vodka as expensive as Belvedere).

Absolut is the Bose of the Vodka world, love the ads and the bottles. The regular vodka is nasty, but the flavored ones are pretty good though. My goto drink at a bar is a Mandarin tonic which is pretty hard to screw up for the bar tender.

Jun 3, 2007 at 6:49 PM Post #13 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by adanac061 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I haven't tried it yet. I will be buying a different bottle every two weeks from now on. Ketel one this week, Grey Goose is next.

Some vodka facts:

# Vodka accounts for more than one out of every four bottles of distilled spirits consumed in the U.S.

# Because the end product is supposed to be without a distinctive taste, vodka can be made from a fermented mash of just about any carbohydrate-containing material.

# Potatoes were traditionally used to make vodka in Russia and Poland, but most vodkas today use grain, usually corn.

# The type of charcoal used in flitration and the watersource become extremely important in vodka production

"While every night at Nikita's is an occasion, Russians don't generally need a special occasion to bring out the vodka. However, drinking is nearly always preceded by a toast. Here are a few to try out

"Na dorozhku" - "For the way" (a toast to make before leaving - the Russian equivalent of one for the road)

"Daj Bog ne v poslednij raz" - "Hopefully it's not the last time we drink, with God's help"

Russians will even drink to celebrate new purchases - this known as "obmyt" which literally means to "wash" the new object. So don't feel guilty about that shopping spree - at Nikita's it's a cause for celebration!"

cool.gif

So how do you pronounce them... ?

If I'm buying a round of vodka I'll make sure to toast, in russian of course.

Jun 3, 2007 at 7:57 PM Post #14 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by adanac061 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
However, drinking is nearly always preceded by a toast. Here are a few to try out

cool.gif

Well, in Poland there is pretty the same, except
"Daj Bog ne v poslednij raz"
but this^ is great
biggrin.gif

Plus we say often
"Za zdrowie gospodarza" which means "for health of person who owns place where party is being made and who made whole party (in other words it is host)"
However, the most commont toast is
"za zdrowie <put persons name or what position in work he have and so on>" which meand "for health of sombody"
Quote:

On my previous trips to Poland I usually drank Wyborowa or Żubrówka. Really great stuff!
biggrin.gif

Try 'Luksusowa', it's quite good either (btw luksusowa mean luxury, wyborowa means excellent, zubrowka comes from zubr what means european bison
smily_headphones1.gif
)

Quote:

So how do you pronounce them... ?

Oh, its hard to pronounce them. Polish and Russian languages are hard to speak for foreigners.

Jun 3, 2007 at 9:01 PM Post #15 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by nfsu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Oh, its hard to pronounce them. Polish and Russian languages are hard to speak for foreigners.

But after 0,7 l bottle becomes much easier
rs1smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back