VMWare Fusion vs Bootcamp???
May 23, 2009 at 3:18 PM Post #16 of 29
Hi,
I am using Windows XP(32bit) with VMware Fusion.

Bootcamp corresponds to Windows Vista(64bit).
The version is noted.

VMware Fusion corresponds to 64bit OS.

It is possible to test because there is a VMware Fusion trial version.
Windos 64bit can be tested with Windows7 RC.

Regards,

Quote:

Originally Posted by _j_ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Anyone have any updated experiences on the Fusion vs. Parallels debate? I had always read that Fusion was the way to go with XP, but read a few times that Parallels works better with Vista.

I plan to use either Fusion or Parallels with a Bootcamp partition of Vista Ultimate. (must have option to just boot Mac in Bootcamp mode OR use the virtualization software)

Also, anyone know the pluses and minuses of running a 64-bit version of Vista in the emulation programs?

Thanks for all infos.

May 26, 2009 at 6:01 AM Post #18 of 29
Parrallels is faster than vmware, better response time etc.......

May 26, 2009 at 1:57 PM Post #19 of 29
Good thing is that there are free 30-evaluation of both Fusion and Parallels Desktop, so you can try them both and make up your own mind.
While Boot Camp, Qemu, Virtualbox, Darwine don't cost a $$

May 26, 2009 at 2:01 PM Post #20 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by krmathis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Good thing is that there are free 30-evaluation of both Fusion and Parallels Desktop, so you can try them both and make up your own mind.
While Boot Camp, Qemu, Virtualbox, Darwine don't cost a $$

I agree with this opinion.
regular_smile .gif

May 26, 2009 at 3:31 PM Post #21 of 29
For just running MS Office and common applications on the MAC, I like Crossover - which runs some PC games pretty well also.

No XP license or discs needed. No rebooting to bootcamp. I have tried both Parallels, and Fusion, and while they both work, are a bit clunky.

I am actually favoring the Google route myself, as I have a desktop at home, 2 at work, and a laptop + netbook. Hard to keep everything synchonized. Google is processor independent too.

May 26, 2009 at 3:53 PM Post #22 of 29
Crossover didn't work for me for almost anything I tried it on.

I personally loved boot camp, since the only reason I needed XP was to play games here and there, and for that it worked amazingly. The only downside was not being able to see your MAC partition from within windows, but I hear they're fixing that.

May 26, 2009 at 8:58 PM Post #23 of 29
Using boot camp and vista on macbook pro with 3GB of memory. I use fusion infrequently, preferring to boot directly into bootcamp/vista. VMware with in mac os running vista is a memory hog for me and windows apps run much slower in a virtual environment with 3GB. Found hard drive swapping way too much, no matter what the settings for memory. Just my personal experience.

Jun 1, 2009 at 3:01 PM Post #26 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by iszatso /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Using boot camp and vista on macbook pro with 3GB of memory. I use fusion infrequently, preferring to boot directly into bootcamp/vista. VMware with in mac os running vista is a memory hog for me and windows apps run much slower in a virtual environment with 3GB. Found hard drive swapping way too much, no matter what the settings for memory. Just my personal experience.

This is probably the same way I will be using the virtualization. Have you ever tried Parallels?

Jun 8, 2009 at 8:07 PM Post #27 of 29
Alright guys. I'm not much of a gamer, and the only gaming I did really take seriously was 2D fighters. Now that SFIV is gonna be coming to windows, I want to install it on my MacBook so I can play it along with some SFIIIS emulators, and maybe some other stuff..

It's a 4,1 BlackBook with 2.4ghz Penryn, 4GB of RAM, stock 250GB HDD(planning on a Momentus 500Gb 7200gb if I can find more reviews on noise and heat with MacBooks). What do you guys recommend outside of bootcamp? Thanks.

Jun 9, 2009 at 4:02 PM Post #28 of 29
^ With some luck you may get it to run using Darwine.
If not, then I suspect Boot Camp will give you the greatest performance.

Jun 9, 2009 at 6:26 PM Post #29 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by _j_ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This is probably the same way I will be using the virtualization. Have you ever tried Parallels?

No. Sorry can't give a comparison.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back