Vmoda m80 or Sennheiser HD25?
May 16, 2012 at 9:53 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

csf101

Head-Fier
Good evening everyone.

I've been trying to decide between these headphones for sometime. I'm really looking for a good set of portable headphones for listening to Rock, Heavy Metal, and Rap on. These headphones keep coming up everywhere I look. Which pair of headphones do you guys think would be better for listening out of a phone or Laptop? I've been leaning toward the m80's because they look so damn sexy, but I'm not sure if it's the right choice. Isolation is not terribly important, and neither is sound leakage so as long as it's not terrible. Which one should I go for?

Any answers are appreciated. :)

May 17, 2012 at 12:12 AM Post #2 of 6
Quote:
Good evening everyone.
I've been trying to decide between these headphones for sometime. I'm really looking for a good set of portable headphones for listening to Rock, Heavy Metal, and Rap on. These headphones keep coming up everywhere I look. Which pair of headphones do you guys think would be better for listening out of a phone or Laptop? I've been leaning toward the m80's because they look so damn sexy, but I'm not sure if it's the right choice. Isolation is not terribly important, and neither is sound leakage so as long as it's not terrible. Which one should I go for?
Any answers are appreciated.
smily_headphones1.gif

I'd say that the M-80 is probably better if you don't have an amp, you need quite a bit of juice to get the HD25-1s up to a listenable volume (3/4 of full volume on an iPhone for the Senns, 1/2 for M80).

That said, I think the M-80 are more balanced and less fatiguing, the treble in the HD25 can get very fatiguing pretty quickly.  The HD25s also have more midbass, though not quite as much sub-bass if I recall.

Oh yeah, the M-80 also has a relatively large and deep soundstage, whereas the HD25 tends to keep everything really, really close and personal.  Up to you what you prefer.

May 19, 2012 at 8:49 PM Post #3 of 6
Thanks for the post. :) Ahh man that's tough haha. Although I might have to go with the Senns since I've heard they are better for Rock and Heavy Metal. Unless the m80's do just as good there too. I'm really stuck between the two. :p

May 19, 2012 at 9:47 PM Post #4 of 6
hd-25s do rock and metal better. I was in the same dilemma along with a friend of mine who got m-80. I auditioned hd-25s after that as I had a benchmark of how m-80s sounded. hd-25 drivers have the right pace, attack, mid bass hump, timing that you need for rock and metal. I find it better than the low end grados. I love m-80s too...but not for rock/metal which forms 90% of listening with blues and jazz being the rest. Go for hd-25s...you will not regret, especially with one of the best passive isolation in the entire headphone segment. Mind you....m80s have a better soundstage due to their vents....but it's something we can live without for our genre of music. I also found that placement of the phones for hd-25 was a lot more easier to get right compared to m80 which you have to fiddle around with a bit to get the right impact. 

May 20, 2012 at 8:05 AM Post #6 of 6
Good decision. You can consider a used one. These age bautifully...hardly have any wear and tear so why not pay less for one which has gone through the burn in and has hours behind them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back