VMODA M-80 or AUDIOTECHNICA ATH-M50?
Dec 2, 2011 at 9:46 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 29

DiscoBalls

New Head-Fier
Complete novice girlfriend buying boyfriend a new set of "cans" for his birthday. His old Camo Audiotechnica's had it and he's starting to use my set.
Price between the two not an issue. I need advice as to which one would be a better gift. Should I just get ATH-M50 because he likes the brand or are the M-80's better? Both in the gift guide and have great reviews, but I have no idea!
HELP.

Dec 2, 2011 at 10:24 PM Post #3 of 29
mmm tricky question - i'll tell you what he's put on my itunes... give me a tick mr jigga, kid koala, black eyed peas, astrid gilberto, lou reed, gorillaz - all sorts!
not very helpful

Dec 2, 2011 at 10:36 PM Post #6 of 29
M50 has more bass
M80 is more portable
M50 has more treble and recessed mids so vocals sounds warm
M80 has better mids, vocals sounds more realistic
M50 isolates more
M80 looks better 
biggrin.gif

very different headphones

Dec 3, 2011 at 7:36 AM Post #8 of 29

Quote:
M50 has more bass
M80 is more portable
M50 has more treble and recessed mids so vocals sounds warm
M80 has better mids, vocals sounds more realistic
M50 isolates more
M80 looks better 
biggrin.gif

very different headphones

Based on what I have read in the reviews and Jude seems to swear by these things - M80 it is. It looks better and it suits his personality more.  If he hates it, he can go and bloody buy the M50s 
biggrin.gif
.  I am just waiting for VMODA to get back to me with turn around times for custom shields.  Also annoyed that Amazon sells them $30 cheaper with free shipping to Oz (while VMODA charges $35 for postage) but doesnt sell custom shields.  Off topic but has to be said.

Dec 3, 2011 at 7:38 AM Post #9 of 29
The audio technica have a more solid reputation. The vmoda brand is a for the most part a fashion brand. The m50 is used by professionals. You choose.

Dec 3, 2011 at 7:58 AM Post #10 of 29

Quote:
The audio technica have a more solid reputation. The vmoda brand is a for the most part a fashion brand. The m50 is used by professionals. You choose.

Oh nooo you're making me confused. His old ones are Audio and he specifically mentioned to me a while back that he likes Japanese ones instead of German ones. Bringing in an American brand might flip him out :)

Dec 3, 2011 at 10:06 AM Post #11 of 29
I have the M50s and am waiting for my M80s to arrive. I ordered them from the V-MODA site with custom shields on November 28th, and it is now Awaiting Shipment (I live in MA). 
Once I get them, I am planning to do a short review, and may compare them with my M50s~

Quote:
Based on what I have read in the reviews and Jude seems to swear by these things - M80 it is. It looks better and it suits his personality more.  If he hates it, he can go and bloody buy the M50s 
biggrin.gif
.  I am just waiting for VMODA to get back to me with turn around times for custom shields.  Also annoyed that Amazon sells them $30 cheaper with free shipping to Oz (while VMODA charges $35 for postage) but doesnt sell custom shields.  Off topic but has to be said.

Yea, amazon does sell them cheaper, but buying them from the V-MODA site using the "HEAD-FI" brings the price down to under $200 + free shipping, faders, and pro audio cable ;]
EDIT: Forgot that it also comes with a 1/4" adapter as well^^

Dec 7, 2011 at 6:22 PM Post #12 of 29
I bought the M-80!!!  Glad I bought it from VMODA. Got my discount AND free shields and buds.  Am guessing they changed the deal with Head-fiers, but hey a freebie is a freebie. 

Thanks everyone for the input.

Thanks to you Jude for putting a spanner in the works. I just hope the man likes this.  I did go for looks in the end even though ATH-M50 was marginally better reviewed.

I've never read so much about headphones in my life!  

Dec 7, 2011 at 6:24 PM Post #13 of 29

Quote:
I bought the M-80!!!  Glad I bought it from VMODA. Got my discount AND free shields and buds.  Am guessing they changed the deal with Head-fiers, but hey a freebie is a freebie. 

Thanks everyone for the input.

Thanks to you Jude for putting a spanner in the works. I just hope the man likes this.  I did go for looks in the end even though ATH-M50 was marginally better reviewed.

I've never read so much about headphones in my life!  

Wait, you got free shields too? How?

Dec 8, 2011 at 2:14 AM Post #14 of 29

Quote:
Wait, you got free shields too? How?

YUP - red ones!!! I used "Head-fi" as a promo code. Just ordered today. I am guessing they changed the offer from cables and faders to red shields and faders.  Better value - $32 discount on the cans plus freebies to the value of $35!!!  Nearly bought at Amazon - lucky I checked.  Good luck.

Dec 8, 2011 at 8:18 AM Post #15 of 29
Quote:

YUP - red ones!!! I used "Head-fi" as a promo code. Just ordered today. I am guessing they changed the offer from cables and faders to red shields and faders.  Better value - $32 discount on the cans plus freebies to the value of $35!!!  Nearly bought at Amazon - lucky I checked.  Good luck.

This is interesting...the free cables and faders are not part of the HEAD-FI promo code, they are part of the limited time V-MODA value pack

Limited Time Offer: Includes pro audio cable, 1/4" adapter and V-MODA Faders Ear Armor hearing protection with every Crossfade M-80 purchased from V-MODA.com

All well, guess I'll wait and see what's in my package^^

Users who are viewing this thread

Back