VMODA good?
Feb 15, 2014 at 8:52 PM Post #16 of 27
  2004! Doh! I would not do well on Jeopardy. 2007 was when they partnered up with Apple. This is what confused me.

From wikipedia:

The company was founded in 2004 by Val Kolton who is a professional DJ and a producer. He originally focused on innovations and patents to develop the fashion headphone lines named "Kolton Technology" for DJs. After two years fashion headphones product lines launched which was the first high-fidelity fashion headphone company with 33,00 unitis in 11 colors in 2006 and renamed to 'V-MODA'.[5]

If you're really interested in the M-100, you can try them out for 60 days and just return them. Their customer service has been wonderful and I've had every inquiry, defect, replacement handled within days of filing a complaint. Also, you can listen to them at Brookstone now.

I hate you.

Drove 80 miles to Brookstone.

Bought M100s.

Home with them now.

Looking up custom engraving.

Feb 15, 2014 at 10:51 PM Post #17 of 27

I hate you.

Drove 80 miles to Brookstone.

Bought M100s.

Home with them now.

Looking up custom engraving.

LOL! What color did you get?

Feb 25, 2014 at 3:53 AM Post #19 of 27
Hey guys, just thought I'd update a little.. I ended up buying the vmoda M100. I would say, I am really happy with the purchase!

Unfortunately I can't atttach images of it since I am a new user but I bought the black m100, exactly like this one:
http://www.blogcdn.com/www.engadget.com/media/2012/10/dsc03928-1349978604.jpg

I have been using it for a week and so far I am always very blown away by how it sounds.
I'm definitely not as big an expert of headphones are you guys are, so really thanks for letting me know so much about these headphones, really no regrets! It does pick up on sounds that I haven't heard so distinctively before from my previous headphones. Though pricier, I guess I would say you pay every penny worth for this!

The first thing that jumps out is that they are wonderfully built. All of the hinges and moving parts are extremely smooth and precise, the headband adjustment has a good feel to it, and the overall package just screams high end from the moment you lay your hands on the box. There is even attention paid to the simplest things, like the box's leather handle, whether real or not, and closure and the little red ribbon that you have to cut to open it. 
At first, I thought these headphones were not as comfortable as some others due to slightly smaller earcups in comparison, but these have loosened up and have a nice secure fit for active use. I can listen for several hours without discomfort. I can also enjoy these sitting in a chair or exercising! And definitely those long plane rides are gonna be amazing with these m100s, it feels there is just enough isolation that the cans are able to shine to their maximum potential.

Sound wise, the bass rendering is the most prominent feature I picked up on. I won't call myself a bass head but the m100's bass traits have enlightened me on how to appreciate good quality bass. It has resulted in an addiction that has led me scouring for new tracks that emphasise on this quality. To my ears the mids are somewhat pulled back but still, much better than all other headphones I have owned.. because the bass are well controlled and doesn't bleed into the mids, my ears still can focus on it and there's clarity and detail in the mids. The trebles make a comeback but just above neutral but overall, it makes a fantastic pair of headphones for me.

I am really looking forward to more vmoda headphones. Please continue to share about vmoda, it has really helped with giving me more info about this amazing brand of headphones I have found!!

Feb 25, 2014 at 10:23 AM Post #20 of 27
  This is categorically untrue.

V-MODA might be well respected and making $200 phones worth the money NOW, but for years they made overpriced, cheaply-made earphones that broke after a month. They were WORSE than Skullcandy, even, because their products cost twice as much and didn't last nearly as long. The Vibe in particular had the WORST wires I've EVER seen on a set of earphones. V-MODA was the brand you bought at Circuit City because everything was covered in fake chrome and sparkles and cost more than Skullcandy so people assumed that meant they were better. I used to have SEVERAL V-MODA products and they ALL broke, all while barely sounding any better.

So yeah, V-MODA didn't start ****. They just noticed that Beats opened up the premium priced designer headphone market so they put their efforts up toward that, while working on improving the product, and I'd put dollars to donuts the main reason they're so well revered just that they're "not Beats". Meanwhile, Beats is also taking a similar tactic in noticing that their reputation is in the ****ter when it comes to high-end products so they've been really working on improving them. Skullcandy is... doing okay. Do not get the Aviators. They're awful. In fact, they're all awful. I can't listen to any SC products, and I used to have loads of them.

Apologies for the late reply to this, but I honestly think the Crusher sounds a lot better than the M100, and the Aviator even better than the Crusher. Still, though, nothing has ever beaten the Phiaton MS500 that I love so much,

Feb 26, 2014 at 11:24 AM Post #24 of 27

I just don't like the M100 much. It doesn't sound very pleasant to me for what I often listen to.

My guess is that you like music with bass turned up so it blows out the rest of the spectrum then, because that's pretty much the only possible situation where the Crushers are "better". 

Feb 26, 2014 at 11:44 AM Post #25 of 27
The new Crushers don't sound nearly as bad as their predecessors. They also have an adjustable bass slider, so you can turn off the subwoofer effects completely to save battery (and music).

Feb 26, 2014 at 12:10 PM Post #26 of 27
  The new Crushers don't sound nearly as bad as their predecessors. They also have an adjustable bass slider, so you can turn off the subwoofer effects completely to save battery (and music).

Buying Crushers and turning off the subwoofer is like buying an HD TV and watching everything on VHS. It negates the purpose of the product. 

And I've heard them. They're not horrendous, but they're still bad. Literally the only thing they have on the M100s is that you can turn the bass up really high. Turn that off and I just... what? It's like turning away a steak at a nice restaurant because you can pick up a burger at Arby's down the road. 

Feb 26, 2014 at 2:57 PM Post #27 of 27
Buying Crushers and turning off the subwoofer is like buying an HD TV and watching everything on VHS. It negates the purpose of the product. 

And I've heard them. They're not horrendous, but they're still bad. Literally the only thing they have on the M100s is that you can turn the bass up really high. Turn that off and I just... what? It's like turning away a steak at a nice restaurant because you can pick up a burger at Arby's down the road. 

Are you kidding? I dislike the M100 because I think it has too much bass. The Crusher is somewhat warm with punchy bass. I never use the "subwoofer" option because then it sounds trashy. If you mean the ORIGINAL skullcrushers, those are awful no matter what you set it on. The new crusher is pleasant. My main issue with it was comfort. I like it more for my regular music over the M100, but the M100 is more refined, obviously. It's overall better, but I just don't like it as much for electronic.

To be honest, I don't like either much for electronic.

For the record, I WOULD take the Arby's burger over the steak, since I don't like steak much.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back