VLC vs itunes
Dec 3, 2007 at 2:32 AM Post #16 of 25
I'm not saying it isn't - just that there are two sides. Will be good to read that info you have... thanks.

Dec 4, 2007 at 7:44 AM Post #17 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by The Actual /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Off topic, but I pretty much only use for m4a files friends email me to check out. Anyone know how to easily convert these into Windows Media Player compatible files?

You cannot convert them without re-encoding, which is not a good idea.

Dec 5, 2007 at 7:58 AM Post #20 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by cconnaker /img/forum/go_quote.gif
VLC is now the recommended software for Mac OS X because of the iTunes 7.5 upgrade. See iTunes 7.5 Has Serious Flaws For Audiophiles | Computer Audiophile

Damn! thanks for the link/info, but how frustrating!

Those interested in iTunes and the DAC1 specifically might want to keep an eye out for updates in this thread: http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f7/ben.../index108.html

I mentioned before that iTunes can be bitperfect, which it still can, but only (for now) with much earlier versions. Lets hope this is rectified!

Dec 5, 2007 at 8:43 AM Post #21 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tarkovsky /img/forum/go_quote.gif
nugent

Interesting reading. I'm still undecided personally. To me it sounds like the audio version of interplolation in photography - it kinda works, but it isn't really a true representation of the image (or sound in this case).

Essentially the concept of upsampling is to "fill the blanks" of a higher resolution audio based on the samples either side of that "blank", as explained in the article: "Upsampling or resampling adds more samples that were not part of the original recording process, but try to approximate the samples that would have been recorded had the music been recorded at the higher sample rate initially".

Again - I'm not saying it does or doesn't work, just that I haven't had a chance to convince myself what I prefer I guess...

Very interesting though, and potentially an impressive 'free' upgrade in audio performance - not many areas of the audio world that has 'free' going for it!

Dec 5, 2007 at 1:11 PM Post #22 of 25
Ah god no. VLC is such a hassle as it has no library! There is a player called play from sbooth.org, but I have no idea whether it's bit perfect.

Jun 6, 2012 at 12:19 AM Post #23 of 25
Diggin this one outta the dungeon but...

I recently purchased a pair of Ultrasone Pro 750's.  While Ive generally thought they sounded great...i wasnt overly impressed.  I knew in the back of my head I wasnt using them to their full potential. I had only really listened through computer/iPhone, albeit in FLAC formats firly often.

Well tonight I decided to put some Flac files through VLC with the Bass and Treble boost EQ setting.  WOW what a difference.  I listened to an electronic album, an artist I have enjoyed over teh years but not so much recently.  The sound was SO MUCH tighter, clearer, and punchier.  Obviously I dont know the correct terms for everything. But basically it sounded like I hoped these headphones would sound like from the beginning.

SO my question becomes...how do I utilize VLC to its fullest?  I see the newest verision has "Library" but I cant figure out how to actually add tracks so they stay there...!?

I use iTunes fairly often...what can I do to maximize its potential?

Jan 15, 2013 at 7:22 PM Post #24 of 25
VlC is definitely giving me audio artefacts, (high crackles) on my FLAC music files. They are hard to hear on a movie through my speakers, but on a piece of music on my q701s they are very obvious and detrimental to my listening.
The same crackles don't appear in the same places in the songs but seem to be effected (increased) by sonic build up.
Switching to Decibel player the artefacts completely disappear.

Odd

Users who are viewing this thread

Back