Vivotab note 8 - Horrible audio quality through external DAC
May 19, 2015 at 10:55 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

donnot

New Head-Fier
Hi all, I recently purchased an Asus windows 8.1 tablet and there is something seriously wrong. I have a Hifimediy Sabre USB DAC (here: http://hifimediy.com/sabre-dac-uae23 ) connected via an otg cable, and although sound plays through it, it's a complete muddy mess, with no detail in the highs, and boomy, bleeding lows...the internal DAC of the tablet puts it to shame. Has anyone else experienced this? It sounds as if an EQ has been put on top of the sound, only through the external DAC...Sounds normal through my main PC.

May 19, 2015 at 11:12 PM Post #2 of 6
The DAC runs off USB power and the tablet isn't supplying all the power it needs. You'll nee to try a powered hub, or get a splitter cable that has separate power and data pins, so you can hook up the DAC to the tablet and a powerbank simultaneously, but personally that's a mess for using it on the go. Just use the headphone output on the tablet.

May 19, 2015 at 11:17 PM Post #3 of 6
  The DAC runs off USB power and the tablet isn't supplying all the power it needs. You'll nee to try a powered hub, or get a splitter cable that has separate power and data pins, so you can hook up the DAC to the tablet and a powerbank simultaneously, but personally that's a mess for using it on the go. Just use the headphone output on the tablet.

I've measured the current that the tablet outputs, coming at 0.44 amps when charging my phone through otg-the same output as my main PC, and it easily drives a portable HDD. The DAC when running at full volume on the PC draws 0.04A at the absolute max when measured, and that's why I'm a bit suspect of a software issue...

May 20, 2015 at 12:51 AM Post #4 of 6
  I've measured the current that the tablet outputs, coming at 0.44 amps when charging my phone through otg-the same output as my main PC, and it easily drives a portable HDD. The DAC when running at full volume on the PC draws 0.04A at the absolute max when measured, and that's why I'm a bit suspect of a software issue...

If that's the case then that's really the only problem. Try the USB Audio Player Pro app.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back