Vista or XP? (new computer)
Jul 17, 2007 at 4:51 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

TheAnomaly

500+ Head-Fier
i'm on the verge of building my first desktop. in an effort to get some more opinions on what OS i should go with, and while trying to avoid derailing the other Vista thread in member lounge here, i have decided to offer it up to Headfi for perusal.

i asked this over on the [H], and the response was generally that Vista Premium 64-bit would be a good choice for a home user. i mostly do standard media viewing/downloading tasks, web browsing, school stuff, but this computer would also be my main game machine. it needs to run games effectively and with as few problems as possible. i've been hearing different stories about Vista's compatibility with these sorts of things, and the only numbers i've seen comparing Vista performance to XP performance have been very disappointing. to complicate things, only Vista supports DX10, and Microsoft hasn't shown an interest in porting it to XP. i want this to be a relatively future-proof system, so getting Vista would be the apparent choice, but given its current shortcomings, i'm not so sure.

does anyone have any other information that could help me in this decision? maybe some other Wiki or knowledge base to work from? this is a major choice, because my current computer didn't come with an XP install disc, and if i buy Vista, i'm stuck with Vista since i'm going OEM, and springing for XP after a Vista purchase won't be possible for at least a little while...any help appreciated.

edit: also, for the life in me i can't figure out what all this "vista upgrade" nonsense is about. what am i "upgrading" from? i looked on the MS website a while ago and it was completely useless. any help on what the deal is with this "upgrade" would also be appreciated.

Jul 17, 2007 at 5:43 PM Post #2 of 17
Future proof? Vista all the way. I just had mine built by a friend; I have Premium 64-bit and it runs very well. Just make sure all your hardware has drivers that are 64-bit capable, and if you try to use more than 3 gigs (I think that's the number) of RAM, you may run into some trouble (constant BSOD unless you remove the "excess" RAM) and have to download a patch that only works for some motherboards (luckily, mine included
biggrin.gif
). I don't know any of the technical specifics here. I'm not sure where my friend got the patch but luckily it worked for me -- do some research here before you go buying any parts.

The upgrade packages work if you are upgrading a current PC that has any Windows OS from Windows 2000 onward. Since you're building a PC, you get shafted.
tongue.gif

Jul 17, 2007 at 5:55 PM Post #3 of 17
Linux!

Seriously. If you think it's hard to use, you haven't tried it (in the last couple years). Dell is now shipping Ubuntu Linux, my own personal favorite, with their PCs. Nearly all the software you'd want is free and easy to install. I HIGHLY recommend it if you're not tied to specific Windows software (Photoshop, AutoCAD, uhh... maybe some others.) For most stuff, there are good alternatives freely available.

Just remember: Automatix will install the extra, non-free things you'll want like media codecs, dvd playback, flash, etc. And ubuntuguide.org will answer nearly any other questions you might have.

Yay penguins!

Jul 17, 2007 at 6:41 PM Post #4 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by nibiyabi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Future proof? Vista all the way. I just had mine built by a friend; I have Premium 64-bit and it runs very well. Just make sure all your hardware has drivers that are 64-bit capable, and if you try to use more than 3 gigs (I think that's the number) of RAM, you may run into some trouble (constant BSOD unless you remove the "excess" RAM) and have to download a patch that only works for some motherboards (luckily, mine included
biggrin.gif
). I don't know any of the technical specifics here. I'm not sure where my friend got the patch but luckily it worked for me -- do some research here before you go buying any parts.

i hear that one of the major positive things about 64 bit is that it supports more than 4 gigs of ram...you say it's not that easy? my build would have 2 gigs anyway, so it's beside the point...i just don't like to hear about problems like that -_-

Quote:

The upgrade packages work if you are upgrading a current PC that has any Windows OS from Windows 2000 onward. Since you're building a PC, you get shafted.
tongue.gif

i figured that's what it was, but i wanted to be sure...haha.

Quote:

Originally Posted by thread
Linux!

Seriously. If you think it's hard to use, you haven't tried it (in the last couple years). Dell is now shipping Ubuntu Linux, my own personal favorite, with their PCs. Nearly all the software you'd want is free and easy to install. I HIGHLY recommend it if you're not tied to specific Windows software (Photoshop, AutoCAD, uhh... maybe some others.) For most stuff, there are good alternatives freely available.

Just remember: Automatix will install the extra, non-free things you'll want like media codecs, dvd playback, flash, etc. And ubuntuguide.org will answer nearly any other questions you might have.

Yay penguins!

i have seen that Dell offers Ubuntu lately. an interesting move, considering people who go for Linux probably aren't buying from integrators...let alone Dell of all things.

Linux has crossed my mind; the freedom, the customization...the compatibility and tweaking necessary..
frown.gif
like i said, this is going to see a lot of use for games, and i'm fairly certain Linux doesn't play too well with those. i could potentially convert my current box to Linux, as this one will basically just function as my IM/music server/web browser rig while at home, and the new one will do everything and all the gaming when i'm at school.

edit: where in MI do you live, thread? maybe during the school year we could have a mini meet or something!

Jul 17, 2007 at 7:09 PM Post #5 of 17
I'm getting a new computer in the next few weeks.

I am most definately getting XP Pro SP2. There are currently copnflicts with Vista and some of the accounting software I have. I figure let everybody else get the bugs out of Vista. I can always upgrade down the raod.

Jul 17, 2007 at 7:12 PM Post #6 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by MetalManCPA /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm getting a new computer in the next few weeks.

I am most definately getting XP Pro SP2. There are currently copnflicts with Vista and some of the accounting software I have. I figure let everybody else get the bugs out of Vista. I can always upgrade down the raod.

Ditto. The conservative and business choice is to wait. Vista is too new in the scheme of things. Driver problems exist for many months/years after the intro of a new MS OS. Security, hangups, anti-virus, etc., etc. - it's quality control by the consumer. If you want the furthest reach in technology and are willing to fiddle, then by all means, Vista. Otherwise, stick with XP.

Jul 17, 2007 at 7:44 PM Post #8 of 17
hmm. what of DX10 compatibility? the few things i've read about it say that Vista does DX10 dismally...unplayable levels of performance, even with 8800GTS cards. as i understand it, DX10 is basically just a bump in image IQ...assuming new games are at least compatible with DX9 for the next few years (before i'd upgrade/build again), i don't know how much of a difference that would make for me. other than that, assuming there is continued support for XP from MS/developers and what not, i can't think of too many reasons to go for Vista right now. i was hoping it would be a good chance to go for the new OS, since it's...new and all, but i just don't want to get stuck with something that has problems at every turn; especially since i can't send back the OEM for a rebate to buy XP.

Jul 17, 2007 at 7:51 PM Post #9 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by nibiyabi /img/forum/go_quote.gif

tongue.gif

Actually....http://www.engadget.com/2007/01/31/c...de-discovered/

Jul 17, 2007 at 7:56 PM Post #11 of 17
If you do go for Vista, get the 32-bit version. People who recommend going for the 64-bit version aren't being realistic or don't understand what they're talking about. There is absolutely no advantage to the 64-bit version except for a larger maximum RAM size, and there are plenty of disadvantages. In particular, the 64-bit version has more compatibility problems with older applications (it doesn't support some programming techniques like hooking) and driver support is even more limited than Vista already is.

I'd personally suggest sticking with XP Pro for now. It's cheaper for the equivalent set of features to an equivalent version of Vista, and it's reliable. Vista should not have been released in the state it's in. It needs about a year more development. Of course, if you're a gamer looking to play DX10 games, then you have no choice but Vista.

Jul 17, 2007 at 8:01 PM Post #12 of 17
Vista dx10 and crysis. Also I would recommend to dual boot linux, you can get many different linux builds for free legally.

Jul 17, 2007 at 8:29 PM Post #13 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by arnoldsoccer4 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Vista dx10 and crysis. Also I would recommend to dual boot linux, you can get many different linux builds for free legally.

yea, that was a major consideration. the only performance testing i've seen of DX10 is horrendous though, so i'm not sure if it's something appropriate to wait for. i'd be getting an 8800GTS 640, which is a pretty powerful card...am i to believe that it will run Crysis adequately in dx10?

Jul 17, 2007 at 8:30 PM Post #14 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by arnoldsoccer4 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Vista dx10 and crysis.

XP Pro, DX9 and Crysis.
tongue.gif

Jul 17, 2007 at 8:58 PM Post #15 of 17
XP Pro or Vista, and stay with 32 bit unless you have a VERY pressing need to use 64 bit. (4gb or ram or more for example). Drivers are very hard to come by for 64 bit Vista.

I'd go with vista personally, just for future updates. i have a feeling SP3 (if and when it comes out)will be the last for a long time for XP.

That's my opinion anyhow. for what it's worth. heh

Users who are viewing this thread

Back