Vista Install Disk
Jul 30, 2008 at 7:12 PM Post #3 of 14
Your computer probably has a restore partition setup with the Windows files there. So if you wanted to reset your system back to the way it came out of the box, you could likely hit a funciton key at the BIOS screen and enter a recovery mode.

So how to upgrade your drive?

Make some partitions on the new drive. Make sure one is the same size as the recovery partition on the original drive, and then copy that partition to the new drive. Then try running the recovery tool and reinstall all of Windows.

Sorry, but I can't help you with the Vista disc.

Jul 30, 2008 at 7:17 PM Post #4 of 14
If you have a valid key getting a Vista disc is easy on p2p.

Jul 30, 2008 at 7:49 PM Post #5 of 14
Depending on the brand there may be a cd that does not even require you to type in the cd key. For Example the Dell OS CD's only work on dell systems.

Jul 30, 2008 at 8:47 PM Post #6 of 14
I was of the belief that each Windows CD had it's own key coded into the disc somewhere, which would prevent you from using your key with another Vista disc.
Now I may be mistaken, but then why did I see a program named "Windows Key Changer" that was supposed to allow you to get around this?

Also, as an alternative you could use a program like Acronis True Image to 'clone' your old drive onto the new drive.

Of course the best idea may be to contact the computer manufacturer or supplier and ask where your install discs got to.
tongue.gif

Jul 30, 2008 at 9:28 PM Post #7 of 14
As others have posted, there are sources for getting Vista. Heck, there are sources for getting keys if you know where to look. Still, if that avenue is too unsavory for you, I'd consider using the Acronis software. I used it to migrate my PC and all its settings to a bigger HD. Couldn't have been easier or more accurate. Simply perfect. They offer you a free trial so you can make the migration to the bigger HD at no cost to you. Of course, if your goal is a fresh/clean install of the OS, the Acronis software isn't your answer as it simply makes an exact copy of your existing HD. Personally, I'd say screw MS and Windows. Go with Linux instead. Several flavors out there. Bet you find that you wished you'd made the move a long, long time ago. I don't have a single Windows machine anymore. It's either a Mac or a Linux machine. Not a single thing I'm not doing better and easier since making the move. JMO.

Jul 31, 2008 at 3:04 AM Post #9 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Agnostic /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you have a valid key getting a Vista disc is easy on p2p.

Except that you can't install from a Retail Disc with an OEM key. Contact your computer manufacturer and demand a disc.

Jul 31, 2008 at 5:39 AM Post #10 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Arainach /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Except that you can't install from a Retail Disc with an OEM key. Contact your computer manufacturer and demand a disc.

Yar, I'd say that's the best option right now.

Jul 31, 2008 at 10:41 AM Post #11 of 14
Why not keep the 80 HDD still and install the new one on side?

Jul 31, 2008 at 2:33 PM Post #12 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Arainach /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Is this the case with XP home as well?

Jul 31, 2008 at 6:17 PM Post #13 of 14
HMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM

thank you everyone, just to clarify a few things

i have a hp6000, Vista Home Premium

as for the P2P solution, i would be fine with that, but the only version i can find is cracked illegal version, which i'm sure will lead to more problems once there's another update, or if microsoft cracks down. so all i want is the actual OEM cd, which i cant find, so i was hoping someone either had one, or knew where to get it?

if nothing comes up i'll try calling HP.... but i'm guessing it wont be free, its not under warranty anymore.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back