Vista Audio Changer (switch outputs on the fly)
Dec 7, 2008 at 11:06 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Quaddy

Headphoneus Supremus
many may be familiar with this, many will not...

its akin to soundsource for mac (highly recommended for quick handy toolbar switching also in mac OS!)

anyway, this (Vista Audio Changer) allows any vista users to have a taskbar utility which can quickly change audio outputs on the fly.

for me its been essential as i have USB, optical sources etc hooked up and want to control where the sound gets piped out from, depending on time of night/whos around etc etc

until now, vista unlike xp and other flavours has been restricted within the API/command/scripting to select the output, and has been forced to go through manual GUI steps to select desired output (which is still the case, but this automates real quick!) which is a shame as IMHO, vista is a boon for high end PC digital audio, a veritable upgrade over XP and alike with its sound signature and features.

a few tips after you download;

1. Drag the sources in vista audio changer into the same order they show in 'playback devices' when you right click on the standard speaker/volume icon in vista. (this way the automated keystrokes are accurate and dont fail)
  2. Second, i have adjusted my hotkey sleep threshold (under preferences->advanced tab) down to 100ms from the default 5000ms, which was far to slow here, this will vary i am sure on different peoples systems, but play with it to get the quickest result with accuracy so that you dont see the manual manouvres, on mine it flashes up and is gone and done.
  3. thirdly, dependant on source software being used at the time (foobar,bsplayer, etc), i have to stop and restart playback after an output change, just like you would have to do anyway in vista, to get the sound pumping through selected output, be nice to automate a script to refresh the file/source....maybe in the future releases, but just so you are aware of that.

hope that helps.

Link to homepage: Vista Audio Changer :: Home (installer or standalone exe)

Dec 7, 2008 at 11:55 AM Post #3 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by [L]es /img/forum/go_quote.gif
can't download. some error.

yes, the top version works seems to be an issue with some links.

Dec 7, 2008 at 4:10 PM Post #4 of 5
thanks, got it working. thought the second row of links would be the updated version.

the one on top is 1.04 while the links below that are for 1.0.

it should be quite useful for changing "output" when playing video.. my mp3 apps have their own output selected.

Dec 30, 2008 at 4:10 AM Post #5 of 5
Great idea for software! I have been looking for an easy way to switch the output of my computer from headphone amp to desktop speakers (I have two sound cards).

Unfortunately, VAC does not ever switch my sound device. When I select another device VAC uses 100% CPU for a few minutes and eventually stops. After this time the sound device isn't switched.
frown.gif

I eagerly await the new version!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back