Visiting UCSD -- Any particular places on campus to check out?
Apr 13, 2007 at 9:38 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Azure

Headphoneus Supremus
I'm leaving in a couple hours to San Diego to visit UCSD for Admit Day tomorrow. I'm going to be at Muir College and majoring in Electrical & Computer Engineering (ECE), and I was wondering if there are any particular places that I should check out (places where I will likely be spending most of my time as an ECE major, where the majority of my classes will be, etc.)? Maybe things on campus that are worth checking out and could help me decide on whether I want to attend UCSD or not?

Apr 14, 2007 at 1:51 AM Post #2 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by Azure /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm leaving in a couple hours to San Diego to visit UCSD for Admit Day tomorrow. I'm going to be at Muir College and majoring in Electrical & Computer Engineering (ECE), and I was wondering if there are any particular places that I should check out (places where I will likely be spending most of my time as an ECE major, where the majority of my classes will be, etc.)? Maybe things on campus that are worth checking out and could help me decide on whether I want to attend UCSD or not?

I would spend all of my time in the Scripps Institute of Oceanography Library. Outstanding collection and a very perfect atmosphere. A place of supreme concentration and content.

I used to work at UCSD. I would say the campus is pretty bland. The engineering building is interesting and nice. They just built a new building when I left there down by the canyon. There is a tensile strength building that's interesting to look at.

If you have some time head down to Pacific Beach on Grand and see some clubs. Also you may be interested in visiting Mt. Soledad and looking at La Jolla (where I was born).

The whole area is very nice. If you're into diving you can dive the wall at La Jolla Canyon and see giant fish. There's also good reef surfing in La Jolla. Many expensive houses and usually very chill. Lamborghinis and Bentleys everywhere. I would think that as an EE major you'll be on campus mostly and on the north east side. Mostly over there is a giant glass engineering building, a new engineering building, and the tensile strength building.

You might have some fun over at UTC (open air mall). La Jolla is mostly full of very rich old people. The Oceanography institute is very nice and I did some research there a while back on the vampire squid.

Traffic can be a b***h so plan ahead.

Apr 14, 2007 at 2:02 AM Post #4 of 6
My wife used to work at UCSD before we moved to ATL. I worked there for a while too.

On campus -- eh. The grove. There is some art. Umm The library. You will be seeing a lot of the campus. Talk to the profs. Freshmen classes at UCSD are huge. Ask about it. See if you can talk to some TAs too, since they are still in session.

Walk across the Street to the Salk Institute. I worked there for years.

Off campus:

Eat some Mexican food. I posted about El Indio in another thread.
Hike Torrey Pines
Visit the Scripps Aquarium (or not)
Beach
Del Mar
Point Loma.
Coronado Island -- Rent a bicycle and ride it.
Pacific Beach / Mission Bay
Mount Soledad is close to campus. Drive up it. Great view
Visit Old Town. It is near the airport.
There is always the Mission.
La Jolla Cave. There is a tunnel from the Shell Shop in La Jolla on or near Prospect St.. You have to pay but it is cheap.

Go Horseback riding. Many places but inland is cheaper. In Ramona or Poway.
Mtn Bike in Sycamore Canyon or several other places. You can ride trials from near the beach to the foothills above Poway.

ECE at Muir. Good. You are going to be spending a lot of time studying. If you don't you won't be going to UCSD for very long. At least the food on Campus isn't too bad.

Apr 14, 2007 at 3:18 AM Post #5 of 6
-computer labs(AP&M) hella boring place, if you ask me..
-Geisel Library(well, it's library.. where you sleep during breaks
plainface.gif
)
-Old student center(get lecture notes)
-price center(where you eat, most of times)
-rimac(gym)
-York building(make sure you dont enroll too many classes over there. too far from.. pretty much everywhere.. ehh, you'll know why you wouldnt want to take classes over there when you get there..)

Apr 14, 2007 at 3:31 AM Post #6 of 6
you'll realize that UCSD is a large campus with not many students, and that there is a lot of walking between classes. most people prefer having a bike because it's impossible to walk across campus with the 10 minute break between classes. however, on the upside UCSD is not nearly as crowded as the other UCs. Visit UCLA or UCI, or UCB during a weekday, during a break. There are just swarms of people and it's very crowded. They have twice the students with a campus 4 times smaller in area. And parking is impossible. Their housing agreements are not as generous, either. I'm just telling you why I picked UCSD.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back