vision:m software?
Feb 10, 2006 at 2:25 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

jnev

100+ Head-Fier
hey guys, i'm currently debating between the 30gb X5L or the 30gb creative Vision:M. the thing keeping me from deciding on the creative (better video playback, really good sq from what i've heard) is the software. i have a zen micro (died a few weeks ago completely randomely) and its software is horrible. is it improved at all with the vision:m? i really hope so because while i'd greatly prefer drag/drop like the X5, i can deal with the software if it's not a huge pain to use (like iTunes). what's your guys' experiance with it?

also, about how long is your guys battery life?

thanks

Feb 10, 2006 at 4:51 AM Post #2 of 15
um you need WindowsXP, that is not a hey its nice or winxp meaning it could be any old windows...

That said if you have winxp, windows media player 10 (free) is all you really need, the sync and transfer work very well using it.

I also installed the explorer which makes its own icon and then drag and drop.

Its not a UMS, you can't just use a Linux or Mac or even win2k (not positive the last won't work but I think it won't)

Their bundle is pretty weak but unless you hate windows media player to the degree you uninstalled it you shouldn't have too much of an issue.

The positive side effect of it not being ums is that files are checked for compatibility, the only thing I know of that it misses is divx with gmc, it will load it but it can't play it.

Very happy owner of the vision:m. Also have a Rio Karma (far worse requiring the Rio software to do anything).

It's not like iTunes that requires a program running all the time for windows users so I am happy about that...

oh yeah battery life is good, the usual things like smart volume and eq don't hurt it much (any?) for battery life, high bitrates and high volume it goes for considerably longer than my Karma did, at least with it in lock mode so the screen goes blank. The battery life is a bit underrated compared to how some others do it as it assumes the screen is on. Also tests have shown wma is far better than the rated life.

Feb 10, 2006 at 6:04 AM Post #3 of 15
I use the Yahoo Unlimited software to load music on the ZVM, or drag-and-drop in Windows Explorer. For videos, it usually won't let me add it through Explorer so I use Windows Media Player. Works well enough. Never bothered with Creative's software.

Feb 10, 2006 at 2:51 PM Post #4 of 15
well, i read some reviews, and some of them were actually saying that the creative software rocks! i'd still greatly prefer UMS, but i can definitely deal with it if the software doesn't suck...

anymore opions?

Feb 11, 2006 at 9:03 AM Post #5 of 15
If I read Austonia's comments correctly, you can drag and drop music using Windows Explorer (that's what I use for loading my flash players ... and I've found the Rio software quite useful for loading my Karma and Carbon, by the way). Wouldn't that be an adequate way to avoid having to use Creative's software to load the player (with songs, anyway)?

Feb 11, 2006 at 12:48 PM Post #7 of 15
Real player works if you have an aversion to WMP.

Go to 'Burn/Transfer' and 'add a new device'. Choose the player from the dropdown list and install the plugin. This was with my Touch, but I assume it would have the Vision on there too?

Feb 11, 2006 at 1:23 PM Post #8 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by jnev
that's a good question actually. care to clarify austonia?

the ZVM is MTP compliant. look it up.

Feb 11, 2006 at 7:28 PM Post #9 of 15
yes MTP compliant, next best thing to UMS if you have winxp. Actually can be preferred as it checks compliancy along the way. However, as I mentioned you need winxp.

Feb 11, 2006 at 7:55 PM Post #10 of 15
well, that's good i guess. i have winxp so that's not a problem for me.

thanks for the help guys. i'm still undecided on the X5 or ZVM, but i still have time to decide. also cowon *might* be introducing a new player at CeBIT, so i'll wait for that (don't have money now anyways).

Feb 11, 2006 at 8:49 PM Post #11 of 15
Quote:

cowon *might* be introducing a new player at CeBIT, so i'll wait for that (don't have money now anyways).

Is that the A6? I've got it down to these same two players and need something to break the deadlock. If I can't decide, I might just get the A2 even though I do like FLAC.

Choices are great but man, it can make things difficult!

Feb 11, 2006 at 8:58 PM Post #12 of 15
i have no clue as to what it may be. over on iaudiophile.net there is a lot of speculation, and reasonable evidence to conclude that there is a good chance of an x5 replacement. regardless, i'm waiting until after CeBIT, at the moment i don't have the money to buy any DAP, plus this way i can check out the new players!

Feb 11, 2006 at 9:38 PM Post #14 of 15
Quote:

i have no clue as to what it may be. over on iaudiophile.net there is a lot of speculation, and reasonable evidence to conclude that there is a good chance of an x5 replacement. regardless, i'm waiting until after CeBIT, at the moment i don't have the money to buy any DAP, plus this way i can check out the new players!

Thanks for the info. After spending some time on the forum there, it appears that the X5 has some quality/durability issues. Want no part of that so it looks like the Vision pulls in front. Of course, I haven't made it over to those forums yet.

Doesn't anyone make a DURABLE player?
confused.gif

Feb 12, 2006 at 12:21 AM Post #15 of 15
the x5 has the best build quality out of any DAP i can think of (several friends have one). it's built out of aluminum and feels VERY sturdy. there are some issues with the quality, and cowon doesn't have the greatest CS department in the world, either.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back