Vishay Dale's worth it?
Jan 10, 2005 at 9:22 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

d00dz

100+ Head-Fier
I question might have come up before, but i was wondering if buying Vishay Dale resistors would make a noticable improvement to the sound of the amp, verses buying Yegao resisters over at Digi-Key...or is this subject more along the lines of interconnects? As in, there could be an improvement, but you have to let your ears decide.

I'm asking this because I will be building a MINT and later a PIMETA.

Thanks

Jan 11, 2005 at 12:33 AM Post #2 of 19
Vishay Dale is actually much cheaper than Yageos from Digi-Key. The only benefit is if you don't plan to order from Mouser or Newark, you save on shipping.

If you're just starting then there's no reason to spend more money just to get a few resistors from Mouser, if you were planning to get everything else from Digi-Key. Whatever difference there may be is not worth paying attention to on your first or second pass-by.

Jan 11, 2005 at 12:50 AM Post #3 of 19
I've built 2 Gilmore amps, one stacked with generic resistors, the other Vishey Dale. Both had identical BG bypass caps.

My Vishey dale amp does sound a bit brighter and ever so slightly more detailed. Goes well with the HD580s.

That's all I can say.

Jan 11, 2005 at 12:52 AM Post #4 of 19
one thing ive been wondering, whats the average hit rate for matching pairs of these? like if i want to match a pair should i order 6 or 8 or 10 per pair that i need?

Jan 11, 2005 at 7:36 AM Post #5 of 19
I'd order at least 10 if you want at least one set of matched pairs for the Pimeta and Mint. You may even get 2 or more matched pairs if you are lucky.

The thing I hate about Newark is they have overly expensive shipping (cost me $15 vs. Digikey's $3.85) and compared to Digikey, they have excessive packing that only adds to the shipping costs. They also have a tendency to bend and mangle resistor leads in the bags they tie off by hand versus the carefully heat sealed baggies that Digikey uses.

I really really really wished that Digikey carried Vishay Dale resistors.

-Ed

Jan 11, 2005 at 8:27 AM Post #7 of 19
And if you want to go the whole hog, get Welvyn RC55 resistors
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 11, 2005 at 8:31 AM Post #8 of 19
Ordering vishay dale's from mouser seems like a non issue for me. I mean even if they're the only thing you're ordering - just use first class shipping and it will cost you about $2.50 for the shipping.

Jan 11, 2005 at 9:06 AM Post #9 of 19
hrmm interesting. see locally in .au im having a hard time tracking down the vishays so i was thinking of ordering from mouser. they cost .18-something not much more each, in usd. so if i need to get 10 thats like ~$2usd per pair (worst case scenario of one pair per 10). add shipping to oz in with that and its quickly getting quite pricey,

obviously i understand the more u order the more likely you are to get matches (as in its not linearly relative), but locally welwyn rc55y's cost $1.3 usd and rc55c's cost $0.40usd. i think ill grab some 55c's to test out how good they are
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 11, 2005 at 10:41 AM Post #10 of 19
skyscraper I ordered my Vishey Dale resistors from THL Audio in tawian. www.thlaudio.com And I couldn't be happier with the service not only did i get everything in mint condition, but they were pretty well matched too. e.g. Out of the 8x500 ohm resistors I ordered, 6 of them were matching pairs, and the final 2 were 1 ohm off (498 and 497 IIRC).

Jan 11, 2005 at 11:03 AM Post #11 of 19
out of interest how much did they cost and how much was shipping down under?

i hadnt really considered using thl, got a quote on a pot from them and it seemed really expensive....

Jan 11, 2005 at 1:39 PM Post #12 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by skyskraper
one thing ive been wondering, whats the average hit rate for matching pairs of these? like if i want to match a pair should i order 6 or 8 or 10 per pair that i need?

It really depends on the value. Some values, like the 4.32K or the 3.32K, are all over the 1% tolerance range. You may get a matched pair for every ten or fifteen pieces. Others, like the 1K or the 1M, are pretty consistent. You can get a match for every four or five.

Jan 11, 2005 at 3:08 PM Post #13 of 19
I thought the point of using these resistors was the 0.1% line, not the 1% line. Has anyone looked into match rates of the 0.1% resistors? I should hope they're near 100%.
When you pay extra for good resistors, your paying for accuracy. Accuracy does sound better, but this can be accomplished with matching as well.

Jan 11, 2005 at 4:50 PM Post #14 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by __redruM
Accuracy does sound better, but this can be accomplished with matching as well.

The way I'd heard it put, the manufacturing techniques required to produce 0.1% resistors incidentally cut way down on sources of resistor noise. Something about more precise cuts, less of a ragged edge flapping in the current wind.

Matching will get the same salutary effects from having close resistance values without reducing resistor noise.

It would seem to me, if one isn't building a bunch of amps at once, that this makes a nice rationalization for just buying 0.1% resistors rather than matching a hoard of 1% resistors. Restaurants have to watch ingredient costs and can save by buying very cheaply in bulk, but we're home cooks.

On the other hand, according to datasheets the 0.1% resistors that jump to mind don't naturally fit 0.3" hole centers, e.g. on Tangent's boards. The very similar Welwyn RC series from Farnell and IRC RC series from Mouser, both from TT Electronics (can anyone explain the difference here?) have identical sizing specs: The RC55's have 7.2 x 2.5 mm bodies (.28" x .10"), a lead diameter and minimum bend radius of 0.6 mm (.024"), and PCB mounting centers of 10.2 mm (0.4").

On the other hand, it looks to me like with some careful shaping, they fit 0.3" centers just fine. I'm thinking of going for it. One could imagine making a temporary shim tool that cradled them so they naturally pulled tight to this exact shape:

WelwynRC55.jpg

Jan 11, 2005 at 5:41 PM Post #15 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by Syzygies
The way I'd heard it put, the manufacturing techniques required to produce 0.1% resistors incidentally cut way down on sources of resistor noise. Something about more precise cuts, less of a ragged edge flapping in the current wind.

I'll buy that, but is there any point of buying them at 1%. Most of the comments in this thread refer to the 1% model. There is reasonable benifit from the 0.1% Vishay Dale's. Any thoughts on the benifit of the 18cent 1% Vishay Dales.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back