Vishay Dale
Sep 7, 2007 at 10:18 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Cecala

Headphoneus Supremus
For audio applications I thought that Vishay Dale resistors were regarded as the best although I have read otherwise. Is this true or not.

Sep 7, 2007 at 2:33 PM Post #4 of 5
Wait a sec,

Some "carbon film stuff" is great. None of the metal films are the best for the signal paths, you know? Try Riken.

Metal films/foil are better than others for one thing. ... Temperature Resistance. Values don't deviate over temperature. (Noise floor is lower too, but not so much that matters in audio application.) So it's great for noobs like me who occasionally screws up soldering.

Some people swear by Dale NS series non-inductive wirewound for signal path applications. ... But this is an extremist example. I just wanted to say Dale CMF or RN series aren't necessarily the best.

Tomo

P.S. I am attempting to get an Dale NS-5 120 ohms for output termination upgrade from KOA SN series. I will tell you how it turn out. (if I can get a hand on it, tomorrow.) ...

Sep 7, 2007 at 9:26 PM Post #5 of 5
The only technical reason why Vishay Bulk Metal Foil resistors are considered to be the best is that they have incredibly low amounts of current noise (shot noise), I think almost 10dB lower than the best metal film resistors.

Carbon film resistors have the highest amounts of current noise as far as I know--whether or not they "sound" good really depends on your philosophy on whether music / audio should sound exactly as it was made or if it should just sound good to your ears. It might also depend on how much you believe they'll make a difference, of course. . .

Users who are viewing this thread

Back