Virus in (MS) disguise
Sep 23, 2003 at 9:23 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

fractus2

Headphoneus Supremus
Virus in disguise
I got this bogus ms e-mail and for some reason I sat on it, then figured I never get update e-mails from ms, ever. So I assumed it was a virus and just found the above article on dmusic and it's the same exact e-mail.

Sep 23, 2003 at 9:33 AM Post #2 of 16
Heh, that's funny!
biggrin.gif

Sep 23, 2003 at 4:07 PM Post #5 of 16
Quote:

Originally posted by taoster
i been getting this email everyday for the past 2 weeks! it's really getting on my nerves!! but how can i stop it..
mad.gif

Add it to your spam filter...

Or set up a filter using specific words in the body to send it to the trash. Only takes a min or so.

Sep 24, 2003 at 4:21 AM Post #6 of 16
yup. just as I figured. mailwasher preview saved me, along with McAfee email anti-virus and the third, from an ISP, which said "a virus was contained therein and was deleted".

I deleted it and bounced it.

Man, MS is going to sue someone's pants off.

Sep 24, 2003 at 5:02 AM Post #8 of 16
mail/spam filters are great at hiding the message but the email ~155kb still gets downloaded. It really needs to be stopped at the mail server which they can do at $9 per month(my host)
mad.gif

Sep 24, 2003 at 7:01 AM Post #9 of 16
you can always use the ISP website to look at your email, delete all the bad ones, then download the ones you want through your regular email client.

Sep 24, 2003 at 10:56 AM Post #10 of 16
Quote:

Originally posted by wallijonn
you can always use the USP website to look at your email, delete all the bad ones, then download the ones you want through your regular email client.

wallijonn, is this the web services you mentioned above? There is another service called mail2web that has secure login to your pop account. I use it all the time on the road or at sea.

Sep 24, 2003 at 11:27 AM Post #11 of 16
I actually do just that when there is too much emails to download but it's a real pain. i think i'll just have to hang in there until someone fix their computer.

Sep 24, 2003 at 6:31 PM Post #12 of 16
That virus is annoying the crap out of me. On the 20th I recieved at least 40 copies of the thing, and I still recieve at least 20 or more copies a day. It's a good thing I bought a bigger Yahoo mailbox because I'd be stuck if I didn't. But I may just retire the email address that's being used for that. I made the mistake of using a certain email address on Usenet and I have seen no end to the spam from it. I recieve nearly 100 junk mails a day now, including this virus.

Sep 24, 2003 at 7:42 PM Post #13 of 16
Quote:

Originally posted by taoster
mail/spam filters are great at hiding the message but the email ~155kb still gets downloaded. It really needs to be stopped at the mail server which they can do at $9 per month(my host)
mad.gif

Most mail programs have an option:
Do not download attachment if larger than: xxKB. It leaves the message on the server unlit you either delete it from your mailbox or download the attachment.

Quite handy on dial-up when someone sends you a 2MB attachment without warking.

Sep 24, 2003 at 7:48 PM Post #14 of 16
The ones i've been receiving have an attachment of only 2k so that plan wouldn't work...

luckily Norton steps in and quarantines in real time
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 24, 2003 at 7:56 PM Post #15 of 16
fractus2,

I made a mistake. That's ISP and not USP. I'm sorry for the mistake.

If you have an ISP, chances are that you can retrieve your mail (like when you are travelling, on vacation, at a friend's house, at work, etc.) by logging onto the ISP's account page. You are basically looking at your mail at the server and are not downloading it into Express Mail, Eudora, Outlook, Netscape Mail, etc.

Since the ISP webmail resides within a protected process, it can not access your email client; since it is not connected to your computer, it cannot access your hardrive or the C:\Windows area.

One of the good things about MailWasher is that you can automatically bounce mail that is not addressed to you, along with blacklisting whole domains. I did have one problem though, there was an embedded email that could not be deleted until it was downloaded. Luckily I shutdown all my email account priviledges, so it had nowhere to go (to access any other part of the rest of the system. I've set it up that it cannot delete a file once the account has created it. I have to use an admin account to do such deletes. Obviously I run anti-virus scans from the admin account, along with email scans in the email account).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back