Virus Alert!!!!!!!!!
Feb 24, 2002 at 5:54 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

Onix

Papá de Iñaki
Hey people!!! I am sorry for this post. but I was victim of a hoax. Anyway. I am leving the post here so you can check the whole story and keep yourselves from being victims of the same situation. Take care.

----------
Okay folks. A friend just sent me an alert regarding a new virus called sulfnbk.exe. I am letting you all know about it, even if I haven't write in some time, because the bug uses the address book to go from computer to computer, and maybe (not sure about this, but why take chances) all it needs is to have an Internet conection enabled. It seems I got it from her, since I've found it on my computer at work. I haven't check yet at home but I will as soon as I get there. The steps to get rid of the virus are (for PC at least, haven´t figured out how to do it on a Mac):

1.- Go to start, go to search

2.- Perform a search on drive C for "sulfnbk.exe"

3.- If you find the virus (an ugly black icon with the file name sulfnbk.exe) DO NOT OPEN IT. Use your mouse's rigth button and send it to the recycle bin.

4.- Go to the recycle bin and empty it.

As far as I know this is the best way to get rid of the bloody thing. BTW, It can't be detected by Norton or other antivirus systems, so don't be so sure that you just don't have it.

And now, for the benefit of our Spanish speaking friends, here´s the full text of the mssg my friend sent me. Good luck and take care.
--------
> un amigo mio, me aviso de este virus, me confirmo que el lo
>habia tenido asi que habia motivos para que todos los que estaban en
>su libreta estuvieran infectados. efectivamente, yo lo tenia en mi
>disco C, y aunque aun no tiene porque estar causando daños al
>sistema, les sugiero que hagan los sig. pasos CUANTO ANTES:
>
> El virus se llama sulfnbk.exe y se transmite
>automáticamente por medio de la libreta de direcciones. Como tengo
>grabada su dirección es muy posible que tenga el virus. El
>virus no es detectado por McAfee o Norton y permanence en
>letargo durante 14 días antes de dañar el sistema entero. Puede ser
>borrado antes de que haga algún dato de la siguiente manera :
>
>1. Ir a Inicio, pulsar "buscar"
>
>2.- En búsqueda "archivos o carpetas" escribir el
>nombre sulfnbk.exe
>
>3.- Asegurarse de que este buscando en disco "C"
>
>4.- Pulsar en "buscar ahora"
>
>5.- Si aparece el virus (es un icono negro feo que
>tendrá el nombre de sulfnbk.exe NO ABRIR POR NINGUN MOTIVO.
>
>6.- Pulsar en el botón derecho del ratón y
>eliminarlo (ir a a la papelera de reciclaje).
>
>7.- Ir a la papelera de reciclaje y borrarlo
>definitivamente o bien vaciar la papelera entera.
>
>
eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif

Feb 24, 2002 at 6:01 AM Post #2 of 18
Thanks, Onix. I did a search and found that the virus was on my PC! I was wondering why it had been doing some strange things for last day or so.

Ross

Feb 24, 2002 at 6:19 AM Post #5 of 18
Quote:

he steps to get rid of the virus are (for PC at least, haven´t figured out how to do it on a Mac):

It's really quite simple for the Mac...

1. Realize that you are immune to these petty virii
2. There is no step 2

Finished
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 24, 2002 at 1:39 PM Post #8 of 18
Onix or a moderater should edit the original thread so people don't delete the file..

Feb 24, 2002 at 6:21 PM Post #9 of 18
Please check with sites like Norton or Mcafee before mass emailing everyone about viruses.
This is just how hoaxes like these get started.
Now if you get an attachment from someone who is unknown to you please take care before opening it.

For those Mac users who don't know better,
wink.gif
read this.

Feb 24, 2002 at 6:53 PM Post #10 of 18
Quote:

Originally posted by chych

2. There is no step 2

Finished
smily_headphones1.gif

LOL, Chych...........PC people just don't understand, do they?
tongue.gif

Ten years using Macs, and NEVER had a virus........or a hard drive crash.
biggrin.gif

Feb 24, 2002 at 6:58 PM Post #11 of 18
Quote:

2. There is no step 2

Finished
smily_headphones1.gif

LOL, Chych...........PC people just don't understand, do they?

Feb 24, 2002 at 7:21 PM Post #12 of 18
Someone emailed me about this months ago and when I found it on my computer I realized it was created 2 years ago. I found that very strange so I phoned my sister up and she did a search on her comuter (her computer has never been connected to the net nor has any outside discs put in so it's bug free). And she has the same file, I figure from that this exe file must be a normal file so the email was a hoax.

Feb 24, 2002 at 8:47 PM Post #13 of 18
Quote:

For those Mac users who don't know better, read this.

Oh, of course there exists Mac virii... just that, no one e-mails them everywhere and if they did, opening the message won't infect us
smily_headphones1.gif
(VB scripts)

And I don't think there are any serious OS X viruses out there yet... and even if there were, it would be impossible to take down an OS X system completely (unless, of course, you are always logged in as root, which would be stupid).

Feb 24, 2002 at 8:54 PM Post #14 of 18
And yeah, "SULFNBK" isn't even a virus...

Norton > The file that is mentioned in the hoax, however, Sulfnbk.exe, is a Microsoft Windows 95/98/Me utility that is used to restore long file names,

So, um, don't delete it. Stupid windows with arcane filenames, couldn't they just call it "RestoreLongFileName.exe" or something logical?

Feb 24, 2002 at 10:50 PM Post #15 of 18
Quote:

Oh, of course there exists Mac virii... just that, no one e-mails them everywhere and if they did, opening the message won't infect us
smily_headphones1.gif
(VB scripts)

And I don't think there are any serious OS X viruses out there yet... and even if there were, it would be impossible to take down an OS X system completely (unless, of course, you are always logged in as root, which would be stupid).

I wouldnt be too sure
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back