Virtual Tube Amp?
Oct 9, 2018 at 10:58 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

ExacoMvm

New Head-Fier
Hello guys, i've heard that you can emulate the sound effects of tube amp using software/plugins since tube amp basically distorts the audio its clearly possible to mimic it with a software. Any suggestions where to find ones? Just wanna check how tube amp would sound like.

Oct 9, 2018 at 12:04 PM Post #2 of 5
Hello guys, i've heard that you can emulate the sound effects of tube amp using software/plugins since tube amp basically distorts the audio its clearly possible to mimic it with a software. Any suggestions where to find ones? Just wanna check how tube amp would sound like.

If you have a Samsung:
43477898_10217519930808669_1329963071615008768_n.jpg

All these software tricks do is apply an EQ curve, not the airy, 3D imaging of some good tube amps. Also, not all tube amps will sound that way on all headphones, so don't expect that an OTL amp with a 120ohm output impedance will sound the same as a smartphone with a ~5ohm to 15ohm output impedance running a tube EQ simulation on a low impedance headphone.

Oct 9, 2018 at 1:35 PM Post #3 of 5
It's for PC, not smartphone, foobar to be exact, anyway i've installed VST plugin and found some plugins like reverb, i think it does what i wanted, not tube simulation, but atleast "Colors the sound" just need to find proper VST plugins :)

Anyway if someone knows some way to emulate tube amp ( for listening not mixing ), would be really great.

Last edited:
Oct 9, 2018 at 3:37 PM Post #4 of 5
It's for PC, not smartphone, foobar to be exact, anyway i've installed VST plugin and found some plugins like reverb, i think it does what i wanted, not tube simulation, but atleast "Colors the sound" just need to find proper VST plugins :)

Anyway if someone knows some way to emulate tube amp ( for listening not mixing ), would be really great.

As Protege pointed out, there isn't just one way for a tube amp to sound. Tubes are often associated with a certain, e.g., warm sound and you can definitely EQ for that.

Another factor in "tube sound" is even harmonic distortion. Over my head, but might help you with your googling. IIRC basically the idea is that the kind of distortion that tube amps generate is more pleasing to the ear. I know that there are solid state amps that are designed to emulate this aspect of tube sound, but I don't know offhand about using plugins to do so digitally.

You might check in the sound science subforum, they seem to be pretty DSP-savvy.

Oct 10, 2018 at 12:34 PM Post #5 of 5

Put a slight boost to 40hz to 100hz, boost 1000hz to 2000hz, reduce everything above 2000hz.

Just note that it's not going to simulate every tube amp and headphone combo, so if you like it, don't expect a tube amp to sound exactly like that especially if you use some low impedance headphones with an OTL amplifier.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back