virtual haircut
Apr 13, 2009 at 4:55 AM Post #31 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by AudioCats /img/forum/go_quote.gif
but the whole point of binaural recording is so you can duplicate speaker listening results with headphones.

It will be ideal if that can be acheived, imaging that, speaker effects without the need to tweak with room accustic, speaker placement, etc....

This product seems to be one of the best attempts yet:
http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f11/sm...phones-323219/

However, I don't agree that the point of binaural is just to emulate speakers.Binaural can actually do BETTER than speakers with the best acoustics, especially if it's ever used for movies.5.1 surround can not compete on the level of a good binaural recording, IMO.

Apr 13, 2009 at 7:20 AM Post #32 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by AudioCats /img/forum/go_quote.gif
but the whole point of binaural recording is so you can duplicate speaker listening results with headphones.

Absolutely not.
Binaural is, as already said, to give you a feeling of being there.
Which could be the same goal as you want from your speakers.

You can take a walk to enjoy nature and you can ride a bike to enjoy nature. That does not mean I want to mimick riding a bike by taking a walk.
If you catch my drift.

Apr 13, 2009 at 7:45 AM Post #33 of 44
i NEED more binaural recordings to listen to!! it's just so fun and nice to listen to. when i first played the virtual haircut i immediately looked to me right when i heard the door open!

Apr 13, 2009 at 8:53 AM Post #34 of 44
other files i heard are the one at train station wasnt fully impressed with that one. There is a thread a while back... test soundstage or something.

Apr 13, 2009 at 9:13 AM Post #35 of 44
I remember listening to a binaural recording of a Stephen King book, I believe, almost 20 years ago.

Apr 13, 2009 at 11:17 AM Post #36 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by Voohoo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i NEED more binaural recordings to listen to!! it's just so fun and nice to listen to. when i first played the virtual haircut i immediately looked to me right when i heard the door open!

You know this thread, right?
http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f9/leg...-links-223165/

Apr 13, 2009 at 3:57 PM Post #37 of 44
Apr 14, 2009 at 1:39 AM Post #40 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by iriverdude /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No front panning though. That virtual haircuit is very good. But you can't buy binaural versions of all your albums, so it's a moot issue.

Should work with your eyes closed, IIRC.Front panning doesn't work with your eyes open because your brain knows there is nothing there.

Apr 14, 2009 at 3:35 AM Post #41 of 44
veerrrryyy frightening...

Apr 14, 2009 at 7:30 AM Post #42 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by cyberidd /img/forum/go_quote.gif
They should use this to make movies, that would be scary/amazing/crazy/awesome, etc. I could just imagine Slumdog Millionaire using binaural recordings, the scenes of huge crowds of people would be INCREDIBLE!

it's called dolby headphone

just about any good recent AVR should have it (or some equivalent effect for example yamaha AVRs have "silent cinema") powerdvd does it i believe windvd does it... and there are a few soundcards that do... also a couple of small headphone amp type units that do it

then of course there's CMSS3D (for the x-fi users) which is not quite as nice as dolby headphone but still effective

Apr 14, 2009 at 10:27 AM Post #43 of 44
The first one was great. Is there any way I can download it?

I love binaural recordings. Might start recording music in our studio using binaural equipment - songs in binaural must be amazing.

Apr 14, 2009 at 2:49 PM Post #44 of 44
if the virtual barber channels are switched from left to right... wouldnt that make the behind signal goes to the front? thus switched the entire 3D position :p

EDIT: didnt work that well just fliped the position... humm is there a commend to change the sound thats at the back to the front :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Back