Virtual haircut (or: why headphones beat speakers)
Jun 11, 2008 at 8:23 PM Post #16 of 26
ah, yet another haircut thread.

But I must admit, it never seems to get old
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 11, 2008 at 9:28 PM Post #17 of 26
anyone would know of any 5.1 to binaural converter. I've been searching Google and at the moment I know that I must search for some Auralization algorythms. Just hoped someone in here already did the ressearch and avoid me of more googleing.

Jun 11, 2008 at 10:42 PM Post #18 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nicolas2305 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
anyone would know of any 5.1 to binaural converter. I've been searching Google and at the moment I know that I must search for some Auralization algorythms. Just hoped someone in here already did the ressearch and avoid me of more googleing.

I don't think it's possible to do this conversion, because binaural is a method of recording the sound like the human ear hear them, and if you convert to 5.1, you will just split the stereo source into 5 channels, you will lost the effect in fact. It's important to say that binaural records have their full potential only if listened with headphones.

Jun 12, 2008 at 12:04 AM Post #21 of 26
Very2 cool.
When it started, I heard the door is opening and thought my boss is coming and quickly hide my youtube
tongue.gif

Jun 12, 2008 at 12:10 AM Post #22 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sr.Burns /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't think it's possible to do this conversion, because binaural is a method of recording the sound like the human ear hear them, and if you convert to 5.1, you will just split the stereo source into 5 channels, you will lost the effect in fact. It's important to say that binaural records have their full potential only if listened with headphones.

My idea was to get the 5.1 to binaural and not the other way around. I can't think that there's no way to simulate the 5.1 into binaural since its the same concept except 5.1 are for speakers and binaural for earphones.

I actually found some conversion tools but they're made for OS X and I'm on PC.

I'm not naive enough to think that splitting 2.0 into 5.1 would get me something more.

Jun 12, 2008 at 3:10 PM Post #24 of 26
At least binaural should closer to 5.1 than any flat 5.1 to 2.0 conversion right?

My idea here would be to convert movies surround sound to binaural. It would be better than any 2.0 Movie sound right? The point is to be able to have a 5.1 feel while watching movies with earphones/headphones.

Jun 12, 2008 at 8:24 PM Post #25 of 26
Quote:

At least binaural should closer to 5.1 than any flat 5.1 to 2.0 conversion right?

Yes, sure. The effect will be close to what Dolby Headphone does.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back