Violin Recital
Jun 11, 2008 at 1:04 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

bperboy

Headphoneus Supremus
I just had my Senior Violin Recital last sunday, and I've uploaded video to my iWeb website. If you guys want to check it out, I don't think I'm too bad!
wink.gif
However, the videos do take a bit to load up... hopefully, it won't be too much of a problem.

Random Ramblings at The Grindstone

Jun 11, 2008 at 1:43 AM Post #2 of 5
Congratulations! Brings back memories of my oldest daughter (Interlochen All State Orchestra - violin) and my youngest daughter (Grand Rapids Youth Symphony - viola). Nicely done, indeed
smily_headphones1.gif
. Especially liked your rendition of "It Ain't Necessarily So".

Jun 11, 2008 at 1:52 AM Post #3 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by Aimless1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Congratulations! Brings back memories of my oldest daughter (Interlochen All State Orchestra - violin) and my youngest daughter (Grand Rapids Youth Symphony - viola). Nicely done, indeed
smily_headphones1.gif
. Especially liked your rendition of "It Ain't Necessarily So".

Thanks! I thought the Gershwin came out nicely that time!
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 12, 2008 at 2:21 AM Post #4 of 5
Well done! You make a nice tone and play nicely. I'm sure you're very proud
biggrin.gif

Now I know it's easy for others to criticise, but please take the following as constructive suggestions!
wink.gif

1) Pay more attention to the beginning and end of every note, especially during loud passages. Make sure you don't over accent the beginning of notes at the expense of tone quality. I'm not a fan of unnecessary accents at the end of notes. They tend to mess up the phrasing.

2) The phrasing could be helped out if you could add in a bit more dynamic contrast. Try and sing the tune to yourself, then try to emulate your singing on the violin. This might help with the phrasing. Consecutive, identical motifs shouldn't sound identical either. All that said and done, it is notoriously difficult to record dynamic changes... maybe it's just not as clear in the recordings.

3) What we all need to work on: Intonation! It's generally in tune, but we both know which bits aren't
wink.gif
The quest for perfect (or near-perfect) intonation is never-ending... Make sure you're "150%" certain of the notes and intonation because playing in front of an audience always takes away 50%
tongue.gif

4) Lastly, loosen up your bow arm. Your bow hand is pretty relaxed as far as I can see, but loosening up the arm will definitely help with phrasing and general tone quality.

The better you are, the more difficult it is to improve, so keep at it! I look forward to hearing/seeing more from you! Bravo
biggrin.gif

Jun 12, 2008 at 2:44 AM Post #5 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by milkpowder /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well done! You make a nice tone and play nicely. I'm sure you're very proud
biggrin.gif

Now I know it's easy for others to criticise, but please take the following as constructive suggestions!
wink.gif

1) Pay more attention to the beginning and end of every note, especially during loud passages. Make sure you don't over accent the beginning of notes at the expense of tone quality. I'm not a fan of unnecessary accents at the end of notes. They tend to mess up the phrasing.

2) The phrasing could be helped out if you could add in a bit more dynamic contrast. Try and sing the tune to yourself, then try to emulate your singing on the violin. This might help with the phrasing. Consecutive, identical motifs shouldn't sound identical either. All that said and done, it is notoriously difficult to record dynamic changes... maybe it's just not as clear in the recordings.

3) What we all need to work on: Intonation! It's generally in tune, but we both know which bits aren't
wink.gif
The quest for perfect (or near-perfect) intonation is never-ending... Make sure you're "150%" certain of the notes and intonation because playing in front of an audience always takes away 50%
tongue.gif

4) Lastly, loosen up your bow arm. Your bow hand is pretty relaxed as far as I can see, but loosening up the arm will definitely help with phrasing and general tone quality.

The better you are, the more difficult it is to improve, so keep at it! I look forward to hearing/seeing more from you! Bravo
biggrin.gif

Spot on about the intonation... listening to it, I know exactly where I was just a little bit off! Thanks for the rest of the advice, it is really helpful!
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back