Violectric V222 and V202
Mar 15, 2024 at 12:00 PM Post #1,561 of 1,759
Also an idea for improvement. Remove the leds for xlr or rca. They are the same colour so I don´t see how they help anything? Would be fine do without to me if I get no sound I might get the idea to switch :wink: A less bright power led would also be an improvement. I can see the sense in having that one though. You can tape it so it´s the smallest of issues but feels unnecessary
I guess this depends on your „baseline“ 😉 Compared to the Schiit LEDs I’d say the Vios shine very discreetly!
(but agree that they’re kind of irrelevant for the RCA/XLR setting)

IMG_2872.jpeg

Mar 16, 2024 at 2:16 AM Post #1,562 of 1,759
Hello everyone!

I purchased my first amp today and am now the proud owner of a Violectric V222. I thought I was going to be a Topping A90 or DX7 Pro+ owner but those fell through. I am lucky they did because the Violecitric V222 is a beast and is going to be with me for a very long time.

I will check out this thread from beginning to end at some point.

In the meantime, any quick tips or tricks are very welcome. I am new to owning an amp. Have tons of headphones.

I would like to get a nice dac to go along with this , one that will not cost me an arm and a leg but one that will complement this amp. I really love the industrial look of this amp, I wish they had some DAC with vu meters or gauges. Those look so cool. At the end of the day though, something old school but sounds really good with this. Amp is what I am after. I think a budget of $500 to $800 should get me a good DAC. Please feel free to make suggestions of one to three DACs that you feel would make a great pairing. I welcome all suggestions. I would spend more if need be but it would have to be on the right equipment.Violecitric would be nice if I could afford it...so the list is Schiit, Geshelli, Eversolo, SPL, Lake People, Cambridge, IFI are on my list.

Look forward to your suggestions, make me drool! Please don't make a grown man cry with stuff I can't afford.

Mar 16, 2024 at 4:50 AM Post #1,563 of 1,759
Hello everyone!

I purchased my first amp today and am now the proud owner of a Violectric V222. I thought I was going to be a Topping A90 or DX7 Pro+ owner but those fell through. I am lucky they did because the Violecitric V222 is a beast and is going to be with me for a very long time.

In the meantime, any quick tips or tricks are very welcome. I am new to owning an amp. Have tons of headphones.

I would like to get a nice dac to go along with this , one that will not cost me an arm and a leg but one that will complement this amp. I really love the industrial look of this amp, I wish they had some DAC with vu meters or gauges. Those look so cool. At the end of the day though, something old school but sounds really good with this. Amp is what I am after. I think a budget of $500 to $800 should get me a good DAC. Please feel free to make suggestions of one to three DACs that you feel would make a great pairing. I welcome all suggestions. I would spend more if need be but it would have to be on the right equipment.Violecitric would be nice if I could afford it...so the list is Schiit, Geshelli, Eversolo, SPL, Lake People, Cambridge, IFI are on my list.

Look forward to your suggestions, make me drool! Please don't make a grown man cry with stuff I can't afford.
Geshelli J2S w/ the AK4499 and Sparkos should sort things out pretty perfectly. They have some metal cases that can give you a somewhat similar industrial design, but more importantly the sound will be great. Also, you can just upgrade to the Sparkos on the balanced outputs of the Geshelli if you are planning to only use it with the V222 to save a little $$. I had an iFi Zen DAC previously, but it had a broken Pentaconn port and it just generally didn’t wow me, then again, there have been several new versions, and people seem to like them, so YMMV. I think you can’t miss with the AK4499 DAC chip if you like a smooth, never harsh toe tapping sound, similar qualities that would draw one to the V222, but still seems to synergize well… Congrats on your purchase, and hope you continue to enjoy the V222!!

Mar 16, 2024 at 7:29 AM Post #1,564 of 1,759
Hello everyone!

Chord mojo 2 would be my DAC choice in that price range.

Mar 16, 2024 at 8:11 AM Post #1,565 of 1,759
Hello everyone!

Chord Mojo 2 Ibasso DC Elite. Cayin RU7.

Mar 16, 2024 at 10:10 AM Post #1,566 of 1,759
Hello everyone!

Schiit Bifrost 2/64 -->> I use it with the V222 and can personally vouch for the great synergy of the combo, FWIW.

Mar 16, 2024 at 11:06 AM Post #1,567 of 1,759
Some good suggestions. I also had thoughts about the Lake People DAC RS06 or Violectric Dac V800 or V850 and try and keep a classic set together. Rather than go for the fancy new stuff might be cool too. Go old school.
I like the Schiit stuff and Geshelli stuff black and pull out a credit card on a whim and get that stuff delivered by Monday.

The Lake People / Violectric is kinda vintage, Well maybe the dac is just vintage. The fact that neither of them really promote or make them much any more though is a bit scary. They don't put much faith in their Dac's?

Mar 16, 2024 at 11:20 AM Post #1,568 of 1,759
Schiit Bifrost 2/64 -->> I use it with the V222 and can personally vouch for the great synergy of the combo, FWIW.

Some good suggestions. I also had thoughts about the Lake People DAC RS06 or Violectric Dac V800 or V850 and try and keep a classic set together. Rather than go for the fancy new stuff might be cool too. Go old school.
I like the Schiit stuff and Geshelli stuff black and pull out a credit card on a whim and get that stuff delivered by Monday.

The Lake People / Violectric is kinda vintage, Well maybe the dac is just vintage. The fact that neither of them really promote or make them much any more though is a bit scary. They don't put much faith in their Dac's?

Also enjoying the Bifrost 2/64 with the V222. Currently my favorite pairing with the Caldera.

Mar 16, 2024 at 11:54 AM Post #1,569 of 1,759
The fact that neither of them really promote or make them much any more though is a bit scary. They don't put much faith in their Dac's?
I wouldn’t read too much into it. It could just as easily be that they feel great about the way they perform and don’t feel the need to change them. They may have also done market research and decided that standalone DACs aren’t selling as well. They’re definitely still making plenty of DACs if you count the one in the V226, which is basically the V222 with an integrated DAC.

We really are spoiled for choice when it comes to great DACs these days. The main thing you might need to decide is whether you want to go with a “resistor ladder” DAC like an R-2R, as some of those are now down into your price range, especially if willing to consider used, or a chip-based or “delta sigma” DAC that uses something like an AKM or ESS Sabre chip. Both styles have their pros and cons and it depends on what you listen to and what your priorities are. If you are a DSD enthusiast, then I might steer you away from the multibit r-2r path, as you won’t be able to take much advantage of what makes them special, but if you prioritize PCM (including FLAC, WAV, standard CD, mp3, streaming services, etc), they can be a great option. If you are big into DSD, DACs with the AKM AK4499EX are going to crush it generally. The chip doesn’t tell you everything about how a DAC will sound, but picking a style of DAC can help you narrow it down. The great news is that there are a ton of great options you would likely be happy with. It’s like trying to find a needle in a pile of needles 😆

Mar 16, 2024 at 12:28 PM Post #1,570 of 1,759
Chord mojo 2 would be my DAC choice in that price range.
Second this; have the Mojo 2 with the V202 and it's a wonderful pairing to my ears.

Mar 16, 2024 at 12:55 PM Post #1,571 of 1,759
New Violectric DACs will take some time.

Definitely recommend the Bifrost 2/64 as well.

Mar 16, 2024 at 6:41 PM Post #1,572 of 1,759
Bifrost 2/64 is probably something I am going to get anyhow , Geshelli I have heard great things about but picking up one used is going to be a challenge. I I'm going to make an admission to pick up a lake people or a Violectric.

I will have to watch Z's videos more often. It would be cool to find a switcher where I could switch DACs for testing. Maybe even some point switch amps as well. Obviously there's a product like this out there. Anyone happen to know off the top of their head? The name of some models I should be looking at. I have a tech news site and we're going to be testing headphones. DACs and gear in the future but I'm just starting out with this stuff so I need to start playing with it and learning to use it. I figured switcher would be a good tool to have.

Mar 17, 2024 at 2:01 AM Post #1,573 of 1,759
There is a ton of great dacs out there people will recommend what they have :)

Mar 17, 2024 at 2:30 AM Post #1,574 of 1,759
Bifrost 2/64 is probably something I am going to get anyhow , Geshelli I have heard great things about but picking up one used is going to be a challenge. I I'm going to make an admission to pick up a lake people or a Violectric.
It’s worth noting that a Schiit Gungnir Multibit is $700-800 used these days. Having owned a Vio V200, I can tell you that the Vios play very nicely with R2R DACs.

If you are considering the Bifrost, why not step up a notch? The Gungnir MB is endgame for many… (and yes, I’m biased and own one- but that’s how one can give an informed opinion!)

Mar 17, 2024 at 2:35 AM Post #1,575 of 1,759

I will have to watch Z's videos more often. It would be cool to find a switcher where I could switch DACs for testing. Maybe even some point switch amps as well. Obviously there's a product like this out there. Anyone happen to know off the top of their head? The name of some models I should be looking at. I have a tech news site and we're going to be testing headphones. DACs and gear in the future but I'm just starting out with this stuff so I need to start playing with it and learning to use it. I figured switcher would be a good tool to have.
Pine Tree Audio does some custom devices fairly cheap, and I think they make a fully passive switcher that tries to avoid coloring the sound…

Users who are viewing this thread

Back