Violectric V222 and V202
Jan 31, 2024 at 2:35 PM Post #1,367 of 1,891
Just wanted to shout out to @ArthurPower. My V222 shipped and should be arriving any day now. Great service and excellent communication. Power Holdings should be the only vendor you ever deal with.

Also, today is the last day for the deal here in the US if you are still on the fence. Do it!
Yep, mine will be here between 10am and 3pm tomorrow. Arthur kept me in the loop the entire purchase to shipping cycle.
Just wanted to shout out to @ArthurPower. My V222 shipped and should be arriving any day now. Great service and excellent communication. Power Holdings should be the only vendor you ever deal with.

Also, today is the last day for the deal here in the US if you are still on the fence. Do it!

Mine will be here tomorrow as well. Dealing with Arthur compared to Drop.com is night and day. One GREAt, one not even good. Drop has been extremely non-transparent. They don't seem to know what the heck is going on with the V222. Their website still says estimated ship date is 12/29/23. Original ship date 11/30/23 (after paying for the product in early October I think) Zero communication, horrible. Will never buy anything from them again. Arthur kept us posted via email every step of the way in the Order-to-Ship process. Excellent company. Highly recommended!

Leo

Jan 31, 2024 at 6:19 PM Post #1,368 of 1,891
No, no difference at all.

Yes, I have tested with different wall sockets around the house, including 2 that are next to each other and with one it hums and the other it is dead silent (tried it several times with always the same result). So I guess it is directly related with the power quality coming from those different sockets, that for some reason, creates a ground loop with some and others not.
Unfortunetly, where I need it, I only have one wall socket and it is one of those that will make the V222 hum. So I just wanted to know if there is something that I can use in that socket in order to make the ground loop disappear. I have no idea what kind of devices are supposed to do the job, or which are the most effective.
As suggested, I should maybe try something like a ground isolator / filter like a "Hum Ex".
Perfect, well now you know the source of the issue and you have a solid direction to go in.

Goodluck!

Edit: Again though, it could be another device plugged into a socket that shares the same breaker. I was able to identify what device was causing my hum by turning off all the breakers in my house except the one feeding electricity to my v222. I would switch on a breaker and then listen for the hum. Once I switched on a breaker that triggered the hum I was able to identify the device causing the issue. For me it was a bedjet, an ac unit for my bed. I tried using a furman ac power conditioner to get rid of the noise but it didnt work. My only solution was to make sure the device causing the noise was turned off when I was trying to listen to music.

Last edited:
Jan 31, 2024 at 8:16 PM Post #1,369 of 1,891
Just got mine in and shipping was one day! @ArthurPower kudos to you for making this deal happen for the community. This amp has exceeded expectations as its sound is so full, warm, clean and fast. It even has my girlfriend dancing in the drivers seat of my stack and that’s saying something!

Jan 31, 2024 at 10:00 PM Post #1,370 of 1,891
135 impedance with a sensitivity of 76. We shall see

Tunsgten, those specs are seared into my brain, let us know how they fair with V222.

Jan 31, 2024 at 10:48 PM Post #1,371 of 1,891
To @lowrider007 and @c34webb: for Tungsten, the 135 ohm impedance & 76 dB/mw sensitivity equates to 84.7 dB/volt sensitivity.
• This is well below a median of 110 dB/volt across a broad range of headphones.
However, Violectric V222 maximum power @ 300 ohms is specified at 1800 mw or 23.2 volts; @ 100 ohms, V222 maximum power is specified at 3500 mw or 18.7 volts. V222's voltage delivery rises as impedance rises.
• V222 should be able to handle Tungsten, it would appear. Tungsten's higher than normal impedance (especially for a planar headphone) makes it receptive to voltage drive.

Feb 1, 2024 at 12:03 AM Post #1,372 of 1,891
With all the people dropping out of the V222 on drop I could only see the possibilities of mine ever coming going down. Won't be surprised to see drop re-open the sale again for another round but I can't take the wait since September any longer nor the non existent communication from drop. I've cancelled and taken advantage of a price reduction currently available from an Australian audio store. Cost me $75 in lost currency exchange for the purchase and refund via PayPal for the experience of drop having my money for four months 😡

Feb 1, 2024 at 12:11 PM Post #1,374 of 1,891
I'm afraid I have not tried the Zen Dac as that is used in my office set up with the Zen Can, but happy to bring it home and try it out and feed back on it. I've been pretty much exclusively using the Mojo 2 as my dac for the V202 since I got it.

(With the Zen Can/ stack, I find a difference SE to balanced and prefer to run that system balanced FWIW).
@AnamCeoil did you maybe have a chance to connect Zen DAC to V202? I am very curious about your impressions of such combination. Especially Zen DAC (alone) Vs. Zen DAC + V202...what exactly V202 brings to it...?

Feb 1, 2024 at 12:42 PM Post #1,375 of 1,891
Just received my V222 this morning. Amazing the customer service received compared to that other company........ Still warming up, but I wanted to give it a listen, too impatient to wait. Too soon for detailed thoughts though. Yggy GS2 feeding the V222 and listening with the 660s2 via Black Dragon Balanced cable to Steely Dan, Aja. Wonderful so far, a full bodied sound, more of a 3D presentation than I'm used to with great instrument separation. "Snappy" bass, but very controlled. Looking forward to many happy listening sessions. Will be comparing to the Jot 2 sometime.

Leo

Feb 1, 2024 at 4:23 PM Post #1,377 of 1,891
Feb 1, 2024 at 4:58 PM Post #1,378 of 1,891
Feb 1, 2024 at 7:17 PM Post #1,379 of 1,891
Had a brief repast with the V222 upon its arrival a few days ago.

My initial, unexpurgated reaction (not wholly unexpected, given the general tenor of the reviews I had read beforehand) was that the V222 sounded too warm and too aggressive for both my listening preferences and my musical tastes.

I have not yet tried all available headphones with the V222 but not one of those I did try: HEDDphone One [47ohms/87dB] , Ultrasone Edition Eleven [32ohms/94dB], Focal Clear OG [55ohms/104dB] and Martin Logan Mikros 90 [26ohms/98dB]--to MY ears--sounded particularly exceptional [although I did enjoy the V222 paired with the exacting Mikros 90 best]

I had been spending most of my time prior with the more restrained and more "studio neutral"-leaning [and admittedly more to my liking] Lake People RS-08. The fact that the V222 exceeds the RS-08 (by an audible margin) in virtually every technical category notwithstanding, I find myself drawn primarily to the not-so-warm and not-so-aggressive RS-08.

. . .

However, I have just exchanged the SMSL D400EX [dual AKM chip DAC] for the Mojo Audio Mystique v.1 [NOS R2R DAC]. The soundscape rendered by the Mystique paired with the RS-08 effects vast improvement, in every respect, over that of the SMSL/RS-08 pairing. (The current arrangement: Neumann NDH-30<--Mojo Audio Mystique v.1<--Lake People RS-08 ranks among the finest synergies lodged in my aural recall.)

The next step(s) will be to reintroduce the V222, pair it with the Mystique, bring out the MM-500 [some have lauded the V222's prowess with planars] and report back.

In the very least, I expect a more honest [and presumably more enjoyable] musical gestalt, attributable to more suitable component-matching. :blush:

Last edited:
Feb 1, 2024 at 9:49 PM Post #1,380 of 1,891
@AnamCeoil did you maybe have a chance to connect Zen DAC to V202? I am very curious about your impressions of such combination. Especially Zen DAC (alone) Vs. Zen DAC + V202...what exactly V202 brings to it...?
Apologies, haven't been able to get a chance in the evenings this week with work getting away from me...will try to give it a listen tomorrow evening/ Saturday morning and report back.... though I am very inexperienced in explaining impressions, so not too sure I will do it justice!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back