Violectric V222 and V202
Dec 9, 2023 at 1:19 PM Post #1,156 of 1,954
Might as well preorder the v281 and get a niimbus....

20231209_120425.jpg

Last edited:
Dec 12, 2023 at 3:44 AM Post #1,161 of 1,954
I could grab one for the sake of comparison.

Are you guys interested in grabbing a v222 or MJ3 after the comparison?

I dont want to be stuck with 3 amps ... yet..
At this point I am looking for tubes but If I didn't have any solid state I'll be bit more inclined toward the MJ3 because of the hype factor 🙂, people are finding it drives the Susvara well which is interesting at this price, but then some have found the V222 work well the Sus too, let's see who wins in a head to head 🤞

Dec 12, 2023 at 5:28 AM Post #1,162 of 1,954
People on the other forum also report it not even driving the HE-500 well. HE-500 is actually very underestimated in how it's driven as it being a lesser model than the HE-6 yet it has the same magnet structure and geometry/alignment. Just no traces of gold. On many amps the bass while impressive can sound one notish.

The Susvara is good on a V222, V550, it's also enjoyable on a ZDS. Now enjoyable is very subjective and that can be hard to contest. There is better though, technicalities especially. It just needs to be worth it to you.
Don't get the MJ3 out of hype. Be careful with your sidegrades. Rather get a different flavor as in tubes for instance.

Dec 16, 2023 at 4:04 PM Post #1,163 of 1,954
I have been using the v222 for a week now. Listened for an entire week to the v222 (On 24/7 playtime: around 50h).

My current chain:
Holo red >AES > 2541 > XLR > v222 or v550 > Dana reference 4pin XLR > Utopia OG

I did some A/B this morning. What impressed me the most is that switching back to the v550 you can tell they share the same house sounds. Usually, when you switch between amps like tube to SS or SS to SS, it takes a few hours or days to adjust. Switching between both is like coming to a familiar place. The reason I decided to get a v222 was because I planned to downgrade and step out of the hobby for a little bit, and wanted to warm my Utopia a small tad. As with everything, take it with a grain of salt. I'm not an expert in the manner or anything. This only applies to both the v222 and v550. For example, I could say something about the v222 which can make it seem not as good, but this is only against the v550.

v222 vs v550:
- Tonality the v222 sounds a tad warmer, but it is not a grand difference. The v550 is more neutral, but weirdly it doesn't seem that is lacking anything or is extremely analytical. The v550 sounds as full as the v222 just a tad less upper base, maybe?
- Bass: Is tighter on the v550. More forward on the v222. Better extended on the v550 Subbass slam check!
- Mids: Clearer on the v550 and pushed back (Explaining below with soundstage).
- Treble: The v550 has more and is more extended.

The soundstage (width, height, and depth), resolution, and technicalities of the v550 are + 1 to 2 tiers ahead.

The soundstage is more coherent on the v550. On the v222 is like you reduce the treble and boost the bass. bringing both to the same level as the mids. Sounds like everything is crowded in the mid-region. Vocals are masked by every else, making it difficult to separate from the mix. On the v550, the vocals are centered in the middle of the stage and are taller than the v222, everything happens behind or to the sides. Vocal isolation and layering on the v550 are better. Reverb and breathing are clearly defined more on the v550. There is a sense of tactility on the v550 for instruments and such.

After I got the v550 I got the Utopia. I thought the Utopia had miraculous mids, and it was carrying the mids by itself. Switching to the v222 I noticed that the v550 worked together with the Utopia in this department, nothing crazy, but the v550 does something to vocals where they sound real, with every breath and change of tones (Especially female vocals, which could be just more treble energy and openness ).

Picture to elaborate on the soundstage differences:
1702760033599.png

Last edited:
Dec 16, 2023 at 5:24 PM Post #1,164 of 1,954
Alfredo, thanks so much for that very interesting comparison.

I recently had an opportunity for an extended listen to a V222 over a period of weeks.
I used my Bifrost2 DAC, my Senn HD800S and my newest Senn cans, the HD660S2. (Looking forward to also listening on my 600, 650 and 58X Jubilee.)

At first, I listened to the 6609S2 on SE. I was not impressed and remembered the criticisms I had read of these cans.
Then I switched to balanced and I remembered all the praise I had read. This was a punchy, intimate sound.

The 800S on XLR connectors was simply wonderful on voices. Norah Jones, Natalie Merchant, Sia, Annie Lennox and my other favorite singers sounded here. I recently heard Natalie in concert with musicians from the St. Louis Symphony (a gift from my lovely wife) and can attest to the accuracy of the sound of her recorded voice.

Those still awaiting delivery of their V222s are in for a real treat.

Dec 16, 2023 at 5:55 PM Post #1,165 of 1,954
I don't want to make it sound the v222 is a bad amp. For the money is really good (sold my 3xp when I got the v222). This is the second v222 I have owned. I missed this amp after I sold it. I got curious since someone asked me if I though the v222 was on par with the v550 and they are just charging more for the pre-amp.

The 800S on XLR connectors was simply wonderful on voices.
I loved the hd8xx with the v222. The extra bass was just what it needed. The forwardness of the v222 helped tightening the sound of the hd8xx too.

Absolutely agree! This amp is special for what it does. Even better at 950$. I mean I'm back here at this thread after all.

Dec 16, 2023 at 6:41 PM Post #1,166 of 1,954

I recently had an opportunity for an extended listen to a V222 over a period of weeks.
I used my Bifrost2 DAC, my Senn HD800S and my newest Senn cans, the HD660S2. (Looking forward to also listening on my 600, 650 and 58X Jubilee.)

At first, I listened to the 6609S2 on SE. I was not impressed and remembered the criticisms I had read of these cans.
Then I switched to balanced and I remembered all the praise I had read. This was a punchy, intimate sound.

The 800S on XLR connectors was simply wonderful on voices. Norah Jones, Natalie Merchant, Sia, Annie Lennox and my other favorite singers sounded here. I recently heard Natalie in concert with musicians from the St. Louis Symphony (a gift from my lovely wife) and can attest to the accuracy of the sound of her recorded voice.

I'm pairing the V222 with a Bifrost 2/64 and they're working great together through the XLR connections to the Caldera HP's I recently acquired. The planar drivers sound fantastic in this combo.

Dec 16, 2023 at 6:47 PM Post #1,167 of 1,954

Have you tried the HD660S2's without the foam filter. Only takes a minute to try it. Really brings out the mids and sharpens the bass.

Dec 16, 2023 at 7:52 PM Post #1,168 of 1,954
Have you tried the HD660S2's without the foam filter. Only takes a minute to try it. Really brings out the mids and sharpens the bass.
Well, I'm not sure how much sharper the bass needs to be on the 660S2 with balanced connection, but no, I have not and how would you do that without crapping up the headphones?

Dec 16, 2023 at 7:56 PM Post #1,169 of 1,954
Well, I'm not sure how much sharper the bass needs to be on the 660S2 with balanced connection, but no, I have not and how would you do that without crapping up the headphones?
You just pull off the ear pads. Then you will see a piece of foam that is not attached to anything. Pull them out and put the pads back on.
The drivers will be exposed, but that is no problem for a short trial. See what you think.

I am keeping the filter out so I cut a piece of black panty hose for driver protection.

IMG_20231206_131537131~2.jpg

Dec 16, 2023 at 11:12 PM Post #1,170 of 1,954
Boredom lead me to reading through the manual for the V202, I noticed the damping factor (200 unbal/100 bal) and output impedance (0.25 Ohm unbal/0.5 Ohm bal), how does this make sense considering this is a pure single-ended amp, why would the output sockets have different specs? I thought on the V202 the balanced pentacon was just for convenience? and if the specs are different as stated in the manual would one be better to use than other other?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back