Violectric V222 and V202
Apr 7, 2023 at 3:06 PM Post #526 of 1,763
Does yours have remote control for the volume pot?
Yes. A Gigantic remote. I never use it as the amp is two feet from my chair.
20230407_160500_HDR.jpg

PS: The volume pot is just a pleasure to use. Huge and has a great feel.

Last edited:
Apr 7, 2023 at 3:15 PM Post #527 of 1,763
Apr 7, 2023 at 3:17 PM Post #528 of 1,763
I may have missed it but, have you posted much feedback about your new amp?
I'd love to hear some pro' and con's. Maybe some favourite features?
I probably owe you one:smile_phones: Overall, I am happy with the V222. As you may know, I still have the Pro iCAN (will stay) and thought that the V222 might be somewhat warmer (as many have described for the V280). Meanwhile, I also have changed the tubes on my Pro iDSD, so I can potentially use a "tube DAC" with both amps :smile_phones:. Now, I do find that with the HD650, I prefer the V222 (with the tube DAC), whereas I tend to prefer the iCAN with the Grados. The iCAN has this Xbass, which to my ears can make wonders. The V222 has indeed a very black background, which I prefer with some other HPs e.g. Arya vs 2, where I prefer the SS mode of the DAC. The V222 really provides good, detailed and deep, warmish sound. (FWIW, I have also tried the V222 with a iFi micro DSD BL as DAC/preamp) directly from an iMAC = really nice too). Bottom line, I am overwhelmed by all the new potential combinations, which will keep me "busy" for a couple of months.
Don't know if this makes sense at all, but this is the best I can do for now......:dt880smile:

Edit: Forgot to add, that the gain on the V222 is set to -18 dB (and when using Roon, I may use that to set gain even lower)

Last edited:
Apr 7, 2023 at 3:20 PM Post #529 of 1,763
I would suggest trying out the ifi Pro ican Signature, other than the already lovely Violectric amps.
Thank you for the suggestion, it was one of the possibilities that I considered, but I felt like the Violectric might be more of an endgame choice.
Did you try the iCan Signature with the Sennheisers?

Edit: mistaken the ifi can Signature with the Pro, that would be way over my budget.

Last edited:
Apr 7, 2023 at 3:31 PM Post #530 of 1,763
I probably owe you one:smile_phones: Overall, I am happy with the V222. As you may know, I still have the Pro iCAN (will stay) and thought that the V222 might be somewhat warmer (as many have described for the V280). Meanwhile, I also have changed the tubes on my Pro iDSD, so I can potentially use a "tube DAC" with both amps :smile_phones:. Now, I do find that with the HD650, I prefer the V222 (with the tube DAC), whereas I tend to prefer the iCAN with the Grados. The iCAN has this Xbass, which to my ears can make wonders. The V222 has indeed a very black background, which I prefer with some other HPs e.g. Arya vs 2, where I prefer the SS mode of the DAC. The V222 really provides good, detailed and deep, warmish sound. (FWIW, I have also tried the V222 with a iFi micro DSD BL as DAC/preamp) directly from an iMAC = really nice too). Bottom line, I am overwhelmed by all the new potential combinations, which will keep me "busy" for a couple of months.
Don't know if this makes sense at all, but this is the best I can do for now......:dt880smile:

Edit: Forgot to add, that the gain on the V222 is set to -18 dB (and when using Roon, I may use that to set gain even lower)
I love the bass boost with my Grado's. But I also love -12 in gain on the V220 and that gives me a bit of room on the volume dial.

I would love to compare the V222 vs the V220/V281 to compare the warmth.
I am guessing the old ones are a bit warmer, which is what gives the V220 a special place in my collection.

Glad you're happy with the new toy! :thumbsup:

Apr 7, 2023 at 4:50 PM Post #531 of 1,763
I may have missed it but, have you posted much feedback about your new amp?
I'd love to hear some pro's and con's. Maybe some favourite features?
Been using the V222 is my primary desktop setup for the past few months paired with a Geshelli J2 DAC. Superb performance and my favorite features are it smooths out brightness if too sparkly and tightens up decay while keeping the warmish sound. The build is excellent and after sitting in on Fried Reim's discussion at CanJam it gave me confidence in the circuitry. It was like an electrical engineering lecture but it showed they are focused on quality.

Apr 7, 2023 at 11:57 PM Post #532 of 1,763
Hello, I was looking for a good, non fatiguing headphone amp for my black screen HD600/650.

I'm currently trying a G111 mkII based on reviews I've read about it, and it definitely manages to drive my Sennheisers better than other amps I've tried without sounding too artificial, but I realized I would like a slightly warmer amplifier (and maybe more refined, although this one leans in a good direction).

Do you think the V202/222 might be the correct choice? Or maybe a (used) V200/280 is the warmer/safer choice?
Definitely the V222/226, they make the 600's shine.

Last edited:
Apr 8, 2023 at 12:05 PM Post #533 of 1,763
A nice surprise at the Munich High End show (2022) was the launch of the brand new Violectric amplifiers the V222 and V202.
Two prototypes (but in their final and working form) were available for auditioning at the Violectric/CMA place.

Mr. Fried Riem himself was there to explain everything and answer all my questions.

The V222 and V202 are the reincarnation of the legendary V280 and V200.
And I am writing reincarnation rather a successor because as Mr. Fried explained the amplifier circuit is exactly the same with the previous models.
Minor tweaks are made here and there.
When I asked him about the sound signature he explained that the new models are similarly voiced to the originals without any noticable differences.

A brief listening at the show instantly reminded me the old favorite and beloved V280 sound signature.

Of course there are other significant improvements.
The form factor has the new Violectric design and one major improvement is the inclusion of an input switch at the front face.
Old members would certainly remember that in the V280/200 you couldn't select between the XLR or the RCA input.
RCA had the priority so you couldn't use XLR and RCA at the same time and you had to unplug RCA in order to use the XLR.

Other technical highlights are:

The HPA V202 offers:
- 2 stereo inputs, balanced via XLR, unbalanced via RCA
- inputs switchable on the front panel
- +/- 18 dB Pre-Gain for a perfect match of the HPA V202 between source and headphones
- Volume control with Alps RK 27 attenuator
- big 38 mm massive aluminum knob
- powerful stereo amplifier
- 2700 mW Pmax into 50 Ohm
- 18,5 V RMS into 600 Ohm
- Delayed coupling of the headphones to the amp after power-on
- Headphone outputs: 1 x Pentaconn, unbal. / 1 x ¼” jack, unbal.
- built-in power supply with toroidal transformer
- 22.000 uF filter capacity

The HPA V222 offers:

- 2 stereo inputs, balanced via XLR, unbalanced via RCA
- inputs switchable on the front panel
- +/- 18 dB Pre-Gain for a perfect match of the HPA V202 between source and headphones
- Volume control with Alps RK 27 attenuator
- big 38 mm massive aluminum knob
- powerful balanced stereo amplifier (4 power stages)
- 3500 mW Pmax into 50 Ohm
- 23.2 V RMS into 600 Ohm
- Delayed coupling of the headphones to the amp after power-on
- Headphone outputs: 1 x Pentaconn, bal., 1 x 4-pin XLR, bal., 1 x ¼” jack, unbal.
- built-in power supply with toroidal transformer
- 22.000 uF filter capacity

The two amplifiers will be available at about August and you should definitely except a review.

I saved for last the best, prices.
The V222 is €1199 and the V202 is €899 so it is the most affordable Violectric amplifier but still hand made in Germany.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

IMG-20220523-WA0004.jpg

IMG-20220523-WA0005.jpg

Thank you very much Mr. Fried

image.jpg

PS - he also told me a secret about the....
nice to see this thread going I have one paired with an hd800 best pairing for that headphone

Apr 8, 2023 at 12:10 PM Post #534 of 1,763
Every review or user comment I've read about the newer Violectric models from V340 on up through Nimbus mention that the sound is (to one degree or other) "more neutral" than the V281/V280. This is said with the most detail & force about the Nimbus. Some people whose ears I trust rave about Violectric's new higher-level models, particulary the V550 & Nimbus.

In the context of legendary solid state amps like the V281/V280, I always read "more neutral" to mean "more disappointing to me personally" (if you'll allow me to wallow in subjectivity for a moment).

In the past 1-2 years, several Head-Fi friends asked me for recommendations of good-to-great SS headphone amps, and I always pointed them at the V281/V280, each of which was available for a time on Drop, even after Violectric discontinued them. But now all the new ones are gone, so I've been recommending people to check out the used market for those models, as well as the wonderful sounding Lake People G-109A I once owned (ideal for those needing single-ended only).

But with the advent of the V202/V222, the universe is one against in balance (as measured with carpenter's level) and a welcoming place...
Legendary indeed I have the 281 and still one of the best solid states I have listened to

Apr 8, 2023 at 12:12 PM Post #535 of 1,763
Legendary indeed I have the 281 and still one of the best solid states I have listened to
So, do you have a V281 AND a V222? If so, could you expound on the sound signatures? Particularly regarding warmth.

Thanks!

Apr 8, 2023 at 12:24 PM Post #536 of 1,763
nice to see this thread going I have one paired with an hd800 best pairing for that headphone
No, not quite there but very good still. I find my Frankenheiser 6XX gets you 85% there tho with the V226 without going full t00btard.
Did not care much for my HD800 with my V281 - even a WA7d was more fun than that combo imho (my rig back then was quite rudimentary compared to now tho).
There is a whole thread on "the other forum" about the best pairings with the HD800 - one or two of them being in my signature.

Last edited:
Apr 10, 2023 at 4:41 AM Post #538 of 1,763
Now I use LCD3 fazor direct to Hugo 1. Would V202/ v222 synergy with my system?
it sounds great now but I’m not sure that Hugo have enough power for LCD3? (In the paper it dosen’t have enough power)

Attachments

• 703E48CD-C601-4D81-964A-5E648BAF7F9C.jpeg
    703E48CD-C601-4D81-964A-5E648BAF7F9C.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
Apr 10, 2023 at 12:54 PM Post #540 of 1,763
You got a comparison in the V226 thread.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back