Violectric HPA V550 - Blue's Brother and the successor to the V281
Sep 1, 2023 at 12:53 PM Post #842 of 1,069
Everyone will use different dipswitch settings. It has a lot to do with how many volts your DAC puts out.
This should be mentioned more, as it is often over looked.
It should also be mentioned that ideally, you want to set the dipswitches so that when listening with your headphones at normal volume, that the volume is @ 12 o'clock. This can be difficult to accomplish when you have multiple HPs at different sensitivity levels so typically there will be a compromise in the settings, but it still is a good target to aim for.

Last edited:
Sep 2, 2023 at 1:26 AM Post #843 of 1,069
I read all the on the V550 and I don't recall a but a few mentions of the Holo Bliss. The V550 retails for $500 more. My take away after reading many posts, is that the V550 may present a slightly warmer character. Has anyone left Bliss and to moved to the V550?

Sep 2, 2023 at 8:17 AM Post #844 of 1,069
I read all the on the V550 and I don't recall a but a few mentions of the Holo Bliss. The V550 retails for $500 more. My take away after reading many posts, is that the V550 may present a slightly warmer character. Has anyone left Bliss and to moved to the V550?
Moreover, I don't know who traded the V550 for Bliss.
Both amplifiers are available on the secondary market and their prices differ by one and a half times. Bliss is more expensive.
At the same time, Vio does not invest in the hype and these amplifiers are bought by those who understand what their advantage is. Bliss is a Hype-train in many ways. Many jumped on it and some of the passengers are already gradually disembarking from the train. This is not the first and not the last train. If you look through the forum, then similar hype trains in recent years have been on GSX Mini, Burson GT, Ferrum ORR + Gypsos.
This does not mean that the amplifiers I have listed (including Bliss) are bad. This is wrong. But they are definitely not suitable for everyone.

The key differences between the V550 and Bliss that I have identified for myself:
- Bliss has automatic gain and resistive load adjustment. Those. the user is left with the choice of which headphone output to use and which output impedance to set (Lo-z or Hi-z). There are owners who refused to use Bliss, because. they lack meat on the bone in his sound, and it's impossible to tweak it in any way. At the same time, everyone admits that the amplifier sounds clean, emotional, with good microdynamics.
- The V550 has a manual gain setting, so you can fine-tune the sound profile of specific headphones based on your preference. Decreasing the gain gives a cleaner sound, increasing the gain gives more meat to the bone.
Vio has a logic block that protects the device and headphones from damage when it is overheated, hit by static electricity. There is a system for testing the device when turned on.

Both amps have a slightly warm signature. Vio has more brightness at high frequencies, Bliss has slightly rounded high frequencies.
Both amplifiers are able to work successfully with both dynamic and isodynamic headphones. But! Vio has more volume margin.

Both amplifiers are TOTAL devices. Differences in sound can become an advantage (disadvantage) of one or another amplifier in the use of specific headphones by a particular listener. If you are faced with a choice, it is highly recommended to demonstrate both amplifiers before purchase.

Sep 2, 2023 at 12:16 PM Post #845 of 1,069
This should be mentioned more, as it is often over looked.
It should also be mentioned that ideally, you want to set the dipswitches so that when listening with your headphones at normal volume, that the volume is @ 12 o'clock. This can be difficult to accomplish when you have multiple HPs at different sensitivity levels so typically there will be a compromise in the settings, but it still is a good target to aim for.
This is my goal. At defaults on the dip switches, my Caldera falls at around 9 o’clock on the volume. My only real concern is that I might not be taking full advantage of the V550 since as has been stated, it was designed to function best with the volume at 12 o’clock. I paid good money for this amp and I want to take every advantage of it.

Sep 2, 2023 at 1:18 PM Post #846 of 1,069
I was wrong on the pricing. Headphone.com shows the cost of the V550p at $3600, so the V550p is only $200 more than than a KTE Bliss, not taking into account the higher shipping from Asia. So the dollars are pretty close. The three features that interest me the most with the V550 are the balance control, the dip switch optimizations, and a very wide incremental volume adjustment. I really enjoyed the sound of the Enluem Amp-23r, but even in the lowest gain setting, I could only use the first two clicks on the volume control without hearing damage when using high-efficiency phones. The amplifier did have a relaxed, character along with a triode “walk around the musicians” type of image density to the soundstage that was addictive. What the amplifier was missing, was a balanced in and balanced headphone output, proper gain adjustment, and a balance control. The V550P offers a lot of things, I can check off my wish list. It would be nice if the V550 struck a tonal and transparency middle ground, as some of the posts suggest. Only listening will determine that...

Sep 2, 2023 at 1:51 PM Post #847 of 1,069
I was wrong on the pricing. Headphone.com shows the cost of the V550p at $3600, so the V550p is only $200 more than than a KTE Bliss, not taking into account the higher shipping from Asia. So the dollars are pretty close. The three features that interest me the most with the V550 are the balance control, the dip switch optimizations, and a very wide incremental volume adjustment. I really enjoyed the sound of the Enluem Amp-23r, but even in the lowest gain setting, I could only use the first two clicks on the volume control without hearing damage when using high-efficiency phones. The amplifier did have a relaxed, character along with a triode “walk around the musicians” type of image density to the soundstage that was addictive. What the amplifier was missing, was a balanced in and balanced headphone output, proper gain adjustment, and a balance control. The V550P offers a lot of things, I can check off my wish list. It would be nice if the V550 struck a tonal and transparency middle ground, as some of the posts suggest. Only listening will determine that...
You could also lower the price if you pass the pro model and get the standard 550. I did and I have zero regrets. The “standard” pot is silent and extremely adjustable for getting the volume just right.

Sep 2, 2023 at 3:28 PM Post #848 of 1,069
V550 Pro is $2,699 + shipping from Thomann, please select US as the country to see the US price, if you are US resident there may be US import taxes though.

Sep 7, 2023 at 3:34 AM Post #850 of 1,069
I am considering parting with my Holo Audio setup because I am looking for something more desk-friendly. I have Diana TC and D8000 Pro headphones, and from what I have read I like the look of the V550 to pair with those. I lean towards a 'musical' sound and a good bass is important to me. I looked at others in the Violectric range, the V550 is the right sort of pricepoint and I like the design and form factor and that it is an all-in-one solution. I wanted to ask you guys who probably own this for your thoughts, ideally I am hoping not to compromise too much on sound as with the Holo I find it really hard to fault in this area.

Sep 7, 2023 at 8:34 AM Post #851 of 1,069
I am considering parting with my Holo Audio setup because I am looking for something more desk-friendly. I have Diana TC and D8000 Pro headphones, and from what I have read I like the look of the V550 to pair with those. I lean towards a 'musical' sound and a good bass is important to me. I looked at others in the Violectric range, the V550 is the right sort of pricepoint and I like the design and form factor and that it is an all-in-one solution. I wanted to ask you guys who probably own this for your thoughts, ideally I am hoping not to compromise too much on sound as with the Holo I find it really hard to fault in this area.

Hmm, might be a tough one.

While the V550 is a great and powerful amp but it is more in the neutral/warm side and might differ a bit too much from the Holo sound signature at first listen.

Have you done any research on the Violectric 2xx series? If you want a musical amp, you can try to look for the rare Violectric V281 or can try the V222 (mids are more forward and the treble is rolled off). I've also heard that the V3xx series have a similar musical approach in the sound signature.

The V500 series might be a bit different than those 2 other series.

Sep 7, 2023 at 9:09 AM Post #852 of 1,069
Hmm, might be a tough one.

While the V550 is a great and powerful amp but it is more in the neutral/warm side and might differ a bit too much from the Holo sound signature at first listen.

Have you done any research on the Violectric 2xx series? If you want a musical amp, you can try to look for the rare Violectric V281 or can try the V222 (mids are more forward and the treble is rolled off). I've also heard that the V3xx series have a similar musical approach in the sound signature.

The V500 series might be a bit different than those 2 other series.

Thank you for your reply. I will look into those. I have a dealer who could demo me Violectric V590, potentially a Nimbus US5 Pro also.

Sep 7, 2023 at 10:13 PM Post #853 of 1,069
I know this is the v550 thread - but there is a Limited Edition v281 re-issue up for pre-order now at powerholdings inc. Might be an option.

Sep 8, 2023 at 4:46 AM Post #855 of 1,069
The V281 does look lovely, there is one for sale but it does not come with a DAC which is a problem for me.

I am requesting a demo of the V590, there is a £500 difference in price between the two, is there a compelling reason to get the Pro over the non?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back