Violectric HPA V550 - Blue's Brother and the successor to the V281
Apr 16, 2023 at 9:33 PM Post #721 of 1,057
Anyone using the V550 as a preamp?

Does it power both the XLR and RCA output simultaneously? And if you have RCA input, can you use the XLR output?

Thanks.
Yes yes and yes
You can’t individually select xlr or rca for the pre out but when they’re on they’re both on
It converts the balanced input to single ended anyway so there no penalty for using rca either

Apr 17, 2023 at 11:51 AM Post #722 of 1,057
I'm glad to join the V550 club, still burning in my unit for the past few days already, didn't have a chance to listen yet.

The only thing I don't like about the amp so far (including other Violectric amps) is that the XLR output connector doesn't have the stabilizing clip thing that other amps (like Burson ect.) have, I don't like it when I plug in my cans though the XLR output and the headphone XLR connector just sags a bit down. A stabilizing clip would hold the connector in place better and prevent sagging.

Hopefully Violectric can take note of this and implement this on their future amp designs.

Last edited:
Apr 17, 2023 at 12:04 PM Post #723 of 1,057
I’m definitely still in new toy mode with this thing, but I had my first “wow, that sounded just like when I heard that band live” moment with this amp and the Auteur Classics while listening to Deafheaven’s New Bermuda (I’ve seen them perform it live many times). That‘s after about 60-70 hours of burn in time. As much as I love headphones the only other times I’ve had that feeling is listening to speakers, so I’m really impressed with what I’m hearing so far. The Caldera also sounds really good on it but the Auteur classic is just magic to me.
I’m really surprised by this comment about the Auteur. Even if the auteur have richer mids the caldera should bring a lot more in terms of definition and detail and some nuance that the auteur cannot resolve. Hence the reason to spend so much on an amp! You loose the resolution of the v550 when the headphone cannot show it to you.
Am I wrong about this? Could you elaborate more on the reason you prefer the auteur and would a cheaper amp give you the same results?

Apr 17, 2023 at 12:14 PM Post #724 of 1,057
I’m really surprised by this comment about the Auteur. Even if the auteur have richer mids the caldera should bring a lot more in terms of definition and detail and some nuance that the auteur cannot resolve. Hence the reason to spend so much on an amp! You loose the resolution of the v550 when the headphone cannot show it to you.
Am I wrong about this? Could you elaborate more on the reason you prefer the auteur and would a cheaper amp give you the same results?

I think it is a mere preference thing. He prefers the mids presentation on the Auteur.
Caldera is magic on its own right, I also love my VO because of the 3D bubble soundstage.

Apr 17, 2023 at 12:23 PM Post #725 of 1,057
I think it is a mere preference thing. He prefers the mids presentation on the Auteur.
Caldera is magic on its own right, I also love my VO because of the 3D bubble soundstage.
Yep this is it. The Caldera is definitely much much more resolving. That being said, I've noticed marked improvements on the Auteurs and even HD600 going up to better and better source gear so while high end planars certainly resolve better, it's not a matter of there being a certain level of amp that's "good enough" on a good dynamic driver

Apr 17, 2023 at 1:46 PM Post #726 of 1,057
Speaking of soundstage: which of the three ZMFs you have pushes the vocals (singer) further out of your head in front of you?
I know the VO brings voices closer!

Apr 17, 2023 at 1:53 PM Post #727 of 1,057
Speaking of soundstage: which of the three ZMFs you have pushes the vocals (singer) further out of your head in front of you?

The Caldera for sure, the vocals are more echoing in front of you than next to you. I think the spectrum is quite balanced on the Caldera, once the treble is tamed in your head and possibly physically with mantle mesh, everything will feel even.

Apr 17, 2023 at 1:58 PM Post #728 of 1,057
The Caldera for sure, the vocals are more echoing in front of you than next to you. I think the spectrum is quite balanced on the Caldera, once the treble is tamed in your head and possibly physically with mantle mesh, everything will feel even.
Thanks for the info! Really appreciate it.
I guess a good R2R like the spring 3 would tame the treble. Your x26 could be too bright on top.

Apr 17, 2023 at 2:03 PM Post #729 of 1,057
Thanks for the info! Really appreciate it.
I guess a good R2R like the spring 3 would tame the treble. Your x26 could be too bright on top.

The X26 Pro is actually quite mellow and natural sounding compared to the D90SE that I originally had trouble on with the Caldera. The Caldera sounded excellent with the Violectric V222 and X26 Pro but I now have the V550 and will get my LTD Caldera soon so I will see how that pairs.

Apr 17, 2023 at 7:26 PM Post #730 of 1,057
Hah, I have the Verite Open and I am trying to bring Vocals closer.

Apr 17, 2023 at 8:10 PM Post #732 of 1,057
Hah, I have the Verite Open and I am trying to bring Vocals closer.
Try pad rolling on the VO, or if you want a more immediate sound you might consider the Atrium

Apr 18, 2023 at 12:07 AM Post #733 of 1,057
I'm glad to join the V550 club, still burning in my unit for the past few days already, didn't have a chance to listen yet.

The only thing I don't like about the amp so far (including other Violectric amps) is that the XLR output connector doesn't have the stabilizing clip thing that other amps (like Burson ect.) have, I don't like it when I plug in my cans though the XLR output and the headphone XLR connector just sags a bit down. A stabilizing clip would hold the connector in place better and prevent sagging.

Hopefully Violectric can take note of this and implement this on their future amp designs.
Honestly never knew about this stabilizing clip but good to know that some amps have this. Recently upgraded to XLR from RCA and I can definitely hear some differences thats hard to describe. I think I'm now hearing more from my music than before if that's such a thing. Possibly its more cleaner and clearer while remaining natural. I guess cable configuration and material type used matters as well.

Apr 18, 2023 at 9:56 AM Post #735 of 1,057
I love the speed and dynamics of the Verite too much. Mine are the African blackwood too.

The no brainier for pads would be the BE2 lambskin perforated pads on the VO.
You will get a balance of decent speed, decay and soundstage depth. Not to mention the pads are very comfortable as well.

I recently equipped my VO with the black B.B.B. strap and now the cans are even more comfortable for long listening sessions. Less hug one the sides and some weight is distributed on top of my head.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back