Violectric HPA V550 - Blue's Brother and the successor to the V281
Apr 3, 2023 at 8:46 AM Post #706 of 1,057
That's what i wanted to say, it is all on high level no matter if Bliss or V550. Everyone has to check it himself :thumbsup:
This was pretty much my suspicion anyway, which is why I held off on selling my V550 to “upgrade” to the Bliss (but if you read through the Bliss thread and from speaking to couple of people I know who own one they tell a different story). Your level headed assessment is very much appreciated

Apr 3, 2023 at 8:58 AM Post #707 of 1,057
This was pretty much my suspicion anyway, which is why I held off on selling my V550 to “upgrade” to the Bliss (but if you read through the Bliss thread and from speaking to couple of people I know who own one they tell a different story). Your level headed assessment is very much appreciated
save your money and spend it to a Caldera, better way :wink:

Apr 3, 2023 at 9:08 AM Post #708 of 1,057
save your money and spend it to a Caldera, better way :wink:
I’ve thought about it. The Atrium Closed is just too much fun though (Plus I’d really need to sell or trade my LCD-5 to justify it)

Apr 3, 2023 at 9:27 AM Post #709 of 1,057
Glad that you've solved the volume knob issue. Would you share more details on how to remove it?
You need a 1.5mm Allen key. I Turned my unit upside down to minimize the chances of scratching it. On the "far side" of the volume knob is a tiny Allen screw, you have to loosen it, remove the knob completely and then, being mindful of the knob's orientation to the front, gently reattach it with enough of a space that it turns without contact. I did a couple of preliminary attempts before I got it just right. Now it turns like it SHOULD have. It's truly a strange little quirk of Violectric that they can expend so much effort in engineering only to leave something like this in the hands of their customers to fix.

Apr 6, 2023 at 4:44 AM Post #710 of 1,057
Finally the custom cables have arrived. Will let it burn in for couple of days and then test if it really makes any difference to the RCA I was using.

This connects my network streamer to V550.

Attachments

• 166D737B-D93F-4252-9CD0-0B8CB950996C.jpeg
    166D737B-D93F-4252-9CD0-0B8CB950996C.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 0
  • F683EC6E-132F-4C96-87D0-FD87BF53C209.jpeg
    F683EC6E-132F-4C96-87D0-FD87BF53C209.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 0
  • 89847F6F-FCE9-4DFA-B94E-5D7EA5514099.jpeg
    89847F6F-FCE9-4DFA-B94E-5D7EA5514099.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 0
Apr 6, 2023 at 8:59 AM Post #711 of 1,057
I picked one of these up recently and wow, I’ve never heard a piece of solid state electronics change so much from burn in. It honestly didn’t sound great when I got it, a bit rolled off and veiled. After just one day of burn in that is no longer even remotely the case. Already loving the sound and looking forward to hearing how it continues to change.

Apr 6, 2023 at 9:43 AM Post #712 of 1,057
I picked one of these up recently and wow, I’ve never heard a piece of solid state electronics change so much from burn in. It honestly didn’t sound great when I got it, a bit rolled off and veiled. After just one day of burn in that is no longer even remotely the case. Already loving the sound and looking forward to hearing how it continues to change.
Agreed. Mine sounded like the V222 till it burned in. Rolled off highs especially. After about 50 I started hearing what I paid for and after 100 hours I knew I finally had a keeper. I’m also glad I stayed away from the pro version.

Apr 8, 2023 at 4:46 AM Post #714 of 1,057
After a little over a week of use, those ever so slightly peaky highs have calmed down just enough. I am really enjoying this amp thus far. It is a match made in heaven for ZMF headphones. I didn't think my Calderas could sound better...boy was I wrong!
You just made my day with this. I bought the V550 specifically to open the door to Calderas.

Apr 8, 2023 at 8:22 PM Post #715 of 1,057
I’m definitely still in new toy mode with this thing, but I had my first “wow, that sounded just like when I heard that band live” moment with this amp and the Auteur Classics while listening to Deafheaven’s New Bermuda (I’ve seen them perform it live many times). That‘s after about 60-70 hours of burn in time. As much as I love headphones the only other times I’ve had that feeling is listening to speakers, so I’m really impressed with what I’m hearing so far. The Caldera also sounds really good on it but the Auteur classic is just magic to me.

Apr 8, 2023 at 8:55 PM Post #716 of 1,057
I'm also enjoying my V222, I fear I may also have found a sweet spot in settings and in my gear at the moment, I love the dynamic lushness of this combination.
There may not be any need to upgrade to the V550 🤣 but I will leave that to the future.

Apr 11, 2023 at 5:42 AM Post #717 of 1,057
I bought V550 Pro as my first Lake People/Violectric product, but it was a terrible experience.

From day one of usage, a slight noise can be heard whenever I rotate the volume knob.
At first, I thought it was normal like this, then I consulted my retailer and they told me that it shouldn't be like this and told me to send it back for reparation.

How come such a famous brand and a machine at such price have this kind of QC issue?
I really cannot accept a brand new machine needs to be repaired right after it's out of box.
It’s totally different from my impression of German quality.

I believe it will be the first and only one product that I bought from Lake People/Violectric.
Update:
I've just got the warranty replacement from the dealer. The hiss of volume knob still exists, but it's clearly slighter than my previous V550 Pro. Hopefully Lake People is aware of this issue and trying to minimize the impact.

Apr 11, 2023 at 11:18 AM Post #718 of 1,057
Update:
I've just got the warranty replacement from the dealer. The hiss of volume knob still exists, but it's clearly slighter than my previous V550 Pro. Hopefully Lake People is aware of this issue and trying to minimize the impact.
I'm pretty sure Lake People are well aware of this issue but it's not something they will ever admit. Maybe they'll redesign the Pro volume pot differently one day.

I think they are quite happy to quietly exchange units without making a song and dance about it. If you get any problems with the replacement amp i would give it back, get a refund, and look for something else. Good luck. 👍

Apr 11, 2023 at 7:55 PM Post #719 of 1,057
Its certainly bit sad to hear that some people having issues with the volume knob particularly with Pro model. So far I love mine, the non pro model and no hiss issues at this stage. Hopefully the future models or iterations of the current model that comes out will resolve this problem for good.:fingers_crossed:

Apr 16, 2023 at 9:05 PM Post #720 of 1,057
Anyone using the V550 as a preamp?

Does it power both the XLR and RCA output simultaneously? And if you have RCA input, can you use the XLR output?

Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back