Violectric HPA V550 - Blue's Brother and the successor to the V281
Jan 4, 2021 at 6:55 PM Post #46 of 1,057
if all DAC's were the same nobody would ever buy a chord dave or a bartok or more expensive DAC's and would only buy inexpensive ones...

Jan 4, 2021 at 7:18 PM Post #47 of 1,057
Sorry however I come from high end 2 channel land (Naim,Linn,dCS) and take a different approach
from many on HeadFi. When system building I spend the biggest part of my budget with a “source first” rule. Amplifier and speaker (headphone) budget come afterwards.
I will be using the V550 Pro primarily with a Linn Klimax DS. dCS Rossini after that.

Good for you but I didn't quote you regarding my last paragraph.

I'd just get the V590 Pro over the 550 Pro any time as the internal DAC is a "pretty small" additional cost in the grand scheme, given its great value, price/performance. That's all. I didn't hint at it replacing 10k DACs or it being endgame or anything. I'd get it before a Hugo 2 + V550 Pro for instance. Nothing more to it.

Jan 4, 2021 at 7:25 PM Post #48 of 1,057
I would MUCH rather have the h2 with the 550 if the money is available

Jan 4, 2021 at 7:27 PM Post #49 of 1,057
Have you heard the V590's DAC?

Jan 4, 2021 at 8:25 PM Post #50 of 1,057
I have not but I have heard numerous DAC's included with top notch amps over the years and a separate amp like the H2 will always be better...has to be, no way to include such a quality DAC and keep the cost down....perhaps this is the exception?..I am doubtful

Jan 5, 2021 at 8:51 AM Post #51 of 1,057
Good for you but I didn't quote you regarding my last paragraph.

I'd just get the V590 Pro over the 550 Pro any time as the internal DAC is a "pretty small" additional cost in the grand scheme, given its great value, price/performance. That's all. I didn't hint at it replacing 10k DACs or it being endgame or anything. I'd get it before a Hugo 2 + V550 Pro for instance. Nothing more to it.

Sorry if there was a misunderstanding. I was not implying that.

I agree with the above poster however re the Hugo2. The bottom line is the internal DAC in the V590 is still an off the shelf ESS chip. Violectric is also not known for their DAC's but rather their headphone amplifiers. The DAC's seem like afterthoughts (although that is perhaps too harsh of a word). Instead I am saying they are not known as a DAC manufacturer pushing the envelope in research and design of digital conversation. Not that I am against off the shelf DAC chips however other companies such as Mytek etc. utilize the same ESS chips however are primarily know as DAC companies so their R&D concentrates there.

I have just finished building a small second two channel system to go with my big Naim/dCS/Linn. It is fronted by a vintage Naim Nait2 integrated. I have a Chord Qutest inbound and I will be curious to see how it sounds - and then later how it sounds with the V550 Pro with arrived last night.

Jan 5, 2021 at 11:15 AM Post #52 of 1,057
I have not but I have heard numerous DAC's included with top notch amps over the years and a separate amp like the H2 will always be better...has to be, no way to include such a quality DAC and keep the cost down....perhaps this is the exception?..I am doubtful

I think generally speaking, integrated DAC/amp units tend to have some compromise. That's typically by design rather than an inherent limitation - what's the target market, and which functions are they primarily interested in? Thus we end up with DAC products featuring a "bonus" headphone stage (Mytek, Benchmark) or headphone amps with an optional (and relatively affordable) DAC section (V281, Simaudio 430HA, etc). Typically there's a main focus and then the other function which some people may not even need/want.

It certainly is possible to go all-out with a DAC/amp unit, or for that matter an integrated amp (for speakers) - it's just not as common. When you think about it, you are really just building two components into one enclosure. If the power supply is well done and beefy enough, there's plenty of room to "share" it between the two sections. Think about a really really high-end CD player though - isn't it really just a transport and DAC built into the same chassis? Do you have any conceptual problem with those?

I admit that it's not so common but I really do think you'd be surprised at how great the V590 DAC section is. I also prefer it to a Hugo 2 after direct comparison, as well as quite a few other DACs in the $1k-3k range. Is it meant to compete with dCS or Esoteric or EMM Labs etc? Nope. Save that for the upcoming Niimbus dedicated DAC. But the V590 DAC is most certainly the real deal regardless of being built-in, and will no doubt thoroughly satisfy most listeners.

Sorry if there was a misunderstanding. I was not implying that.

I agree with the above poster however re the Hugo2. The bottom line is the internal DAC in the V590 is still an off the shelf ESS chip. Violectric is also not known for their DAC's but rather their headphone amplifiers. The DAC's seem like afterthoughts (although that is perhaps too harsh of a word). Instead I am saying they are not known as a DAC manufacturer pushing the envelope in research and design of digital conversation. Not that I am against off the shelf DAC chips however other companies such as Mytek etc. utilize the same ESS chips however are primarily know as DAC companies so their R&D concentrates there.

I have just finished building a small second two channel system to go with my big Naim/dCS/Linn. It is fronted by a vintage Naim Nait2 integrated. I have a Chord Qutest inbound and I will be curious to see how it sounds - and then later how it sounds with the V550 Pro with arrived last night.

The V590 doesn't use an ESS chip but rather dual mono AKM chips combined with a resampling circuit. You are correct in saying Violectric is more known for their headphone amplifiers, but they were also one of the first companies to build an outboard DAC many decades ago (under the Lake People brand). So they have been around the block longer than most and know how to do it right.

In any case, your V550 Pro should sound great with the Qutest - arguably my favorite of the Chord lineup for various reasons. Enjoy!

Jan 10, 2021 at 5:44 PM Post #53 of 1,057
Correct me if I am wrong however just like the V281 the new V550 can accept single ended RCA inputs and it will internally convert to a fully balanced signal to then drive balanced headphones??

Jan 10, 2021 at 6:31 PM Post #54 of 1,057
yes correct

Jan 12, 2021 at 12:36 AM Post #55 of 1,057
Received my V550 pro 3 days ago; connected to bricasti M3 (ethernet input) and had some short listenings:

- HD800S with stock single ended cable - works fine but too loud; for classical music, I need to set pre-gain to -18 to be able to turn volume to 12 o'clock. (M3 level is 0db)
- K1000 through XLR input - set pre-gain to -6 to be able to turn volume to 11~12 o'clock. However, left and right channel are reversed.

In both K1000 and V550 manuals, the XLR pin definition is:
1: left +
2: left -
3: right +
4: right -

What could the problem here? Inputs appreciated!

Jan 12, 2021 at 2:06 AM Post #56 of 1,057
No experience as yet with the updated amps on offer, but regarding the earlier discussion on integrated DAC's, I have the V281 FE (build in DAC) paired with my RME ADI-2. In comparing the V281 solo vs. V281+RME I find the RME to be a much better pairing with the V281 than the internal DAC of the V281. To me it feels like the cooler RME paired with the warmer V281 operates more naturally than the V281 FE on it's own.

Jan 18, 2021 at 5:31 AM Post #57 of 1,057
I was thinking about V550 Pro but i think he will don't match SQ of Niimbus, and i don't think he will be worth buying if i still have GS-X mini.

Jan 20, 2021 at 5:26 AM Post #58 of 1,057
I was thinking about V550 Pro but i think he will don't match SQ of Niimbus, and i don't think he will be worth buying if i still have GS-X mini.
I think so too. i liked their v280 paired with neutral dacs and thought non step attentuator version of niimbus would cost 3k at most when it was announced...
It cost like frickin Cambridge Audio Edge M and Niimbus looks nowhere near expensive when it comes to parts.
Why it cost so much? I dont see any magical parts.
V280 and v281 cost was fair, but now...

Jan 20, 2021 at 3:10 PM Post #60 of 1,057
I think so too. i liked their v280 paired with neutral dacs and thought non step attentuator version of niimbus would cost 3k at most when it was announced...
It cost like frickin Cambridge Audio Edge M and Niimbus looks nowhere near expensive when it comes to parts.
Why it cost so much? I dont see any magical parts.
V280 and v281 cost was fair, but now...

I totally get the price is very high on the Niimbus products, and it's a sticking point for potential buyers. But I also think the comparison to the Edge M is apples/oranges. You can't just go by looks. Edge M is a power amp for speakers while the Niimbus is a preamp/headphone amp. Consider the complex reed-relay volume solution alone - it doesn't really look like much but certainly adds to the cost and complexity of the build. That's just one factor among many.

Plus, Cambridge makes all their gear in China. They have done so for years if I remember correctly. Meanwhile Niimbus gear is hand built in Germany. Cambridge Audio also mass produces their products in far greater numbers - even the relatively expensive Edge stuff is far more widely distributed than the Niimbus components (which are pretty much textbook examples of boutique specialty gear).

I'm not knocking Cambridge Audio in any way, it's just a very different approach and two very distinct products.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back