Violectric DHA V226
Oct 6, 2023 at 6:35 PM Post #93 of 99
Just acquired a (used) V226 and it's been impressive right off the bat. I never felt my JDS Element was any sort of slouch, but the Vio just sounds more full, dynamic and tight. I had always found my Verite Closed felt a bit lacking in sub-bass but now it sounds filled out and just..ballsier.

Definitely need more time to get a better feel for it but I'm really happy with it. Internal DAC is serviceable, but currently using the Cayin RU7 line-out which smooths it out a bit which I like. My plan is to get a good standalone DAC for it, leaning towards a Merason Frerot.

Only downside is now I'm not sure what to do with the Element...I like that unit a lot, just feels wrong to sell it off...

Nov 4, 2023 at 1:36 PM Post #94 of 99
Dec 25, 2023 at 5:58 PM Post #95 of 99
Hello @someyoungguy,

Another great review of yours about G111 and Violectric v226 I stumbled upon here.

I suppose you remember we had very similar opinion on A&K SR35 in this thread. Since then, I am trying to find a similar sound signature as SR35, described in that thread, but as a desktop DAC/AMP solution without a battery. I hoped that Violectric v202 will be a solution for the AMP since I read a lot how Violectric amplifiers have that 'black background' or 'blackness' between the instruments signature, but now I am a bit discouraged since you pointed out about this overwhelming bass in v226 (I suppose similar could be expected in v202, I see also in v380 thread it is mentioned as well...). I suppose it could destroy part of that clarity/blackness I am looking for.

I see you like very much Violectric Chronos. So how does it fit into this what I am looking for? How Chronos (standalone) or connected to v226 amp compares to SR35 DAP? In terms of clarity, speciousness, blackness between instruments, relaxed non-fatiguing mids and highs...? You know what I mean :k701smile:

Or simply, what would be an recommendation for desktop DAC/AMP solution without battery which would share the same/similar sound signature as A&K SR35 DAP?

Thanks in advance

Last edited:
Dec 26, 2023 at 4:00 AM Post #96 of 99
Hello @someyoungguy,

Another great review of yours about G111 and Violectric v226 I stumbled upon here.

I suppose you remember we had very similar opinion on A&K SR35 in this thread. Since then, I am trying to find a similar sound signature as SR35, described in that thread, but as a desktop DAC/AMP solution without a battery. I hoped that Violectric v202 will be a solution for the AMP since I read a lot how Violectric amplifiers have that 'black background' or 'blackness' between the instruments signature, but now I am a bit discouraged since you pointed out about this overwhelming bass in v226 (I suppose similar could be expected in v202, I see also in v380 thread it is mentioned as well...). I suppose it could destroy part of that clarity/blackness I am looking for.

I see you like very much Violectric Chronos. So how does it fit into this what I am looking for? How Chronos (standalone) or connected to v226 amp compares to SR35 DAP? In terms of clarity, speciousness, blackness between instruments, relaxed non-fatiguing mids and highs...? You know what I mean :k701smile:

Or simply, what would be an recommendation for desktop DAC/AMP solution without battery which would share the same/similar sound signature as A&K SR35 DAP?

Thanks in advance
I think in general that even though dongles provide excellent bang for the buck these days, you do seem to get better a sense of three dimensional space and blackness/precision of instruments with DAPs, so in that sense I think SR35 will perform better in terms of clarity and space than Chronos. I've actually sold both the SR35 and V226 now, but I seem to remember that the SR35 had a great sense of what I thought of as 'inner detail' to the instruments and vocals, etc - in the sense of the micro-detail and small nuances like reverberations of the voice or strings of each instrument being more evident and revealing than the dongles I had at the time.

Actually I think that if what you're after is clarity, space, blackness and a non-fatiguing sound then the 202/226 might be up your alley. I found over time that the bass seemed to improve: although it always remained solid, after some months of use it no longer sounded like too much. Whether that was burn-in or me adapting, I don't know, but the bass wasn't an issue for me in the end.

As mentioned, I did sell the V226 eventually but mainly for reasons that - although a downside for me - might possibly be what you're looking for. I found that even though it had the best sense of space, blackness etc. out of the gear I had, it was a little too laid back or non-fatiguing. As in, I listen to lots of metal and even though it can slam and provide plenty of nuance and detail, I felt like I could put on some intense death metal but still feel pretty chilled - which wasn't what I was after! :k701smile:It certainly has non-fatiguing mids and highs in that sense, so if that's what you're after I would say see if you can find somewhere to demo one. I decided to stick with easier to drive headphones as well, so ended up selling the V226 as I didn't really need a dedicated amp and felt I could put the money into something else.

Jan 20, 2024 at 3:23 PM Post #98 of 99
Has anyone tried DHA V226 with Meze Empyrean or Sony MDR Z1R?
Thx

Users who are viewing this thread

Back